What is Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10?
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is designed to scan and disinfect x86 and x64-compatible computers that have been infected. The application should be used when the infection is so severe that it is impossible to disinfect the computer using anti-virus applications or malware removal utilities running under the operating system.
In this case, disinfection is more efficient because malware programs do not gain control when the operating system is being loaded. In the emergency repair mode, you can only start objects scan tasks, update databases roll back updates and view statistics.
How to create and use a Kaspersky Rescue Disk
STEP 1: Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk
You can download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk ISO image from the Kaspersky Lab server.
STEP 2: Burn the Image to a Disc
In order to create a bootable disk you need to use an application to burn that ISO image file to an optical disk,we prefer using ImgBurn, but there’s plenty of ways to burn an ISO to a disc.
- Download the latest version of ImgBurn.
- Insert your blank DVD/CD in your burner now.
- Install ImgBurn and then start the program.
- Click on the ’Write image file to disc’ button.
- Under ’Source’ click on the ‘Browse for file’ button, then browse to the location where you previously saved the Kaspersky Rescue Disk ISO file.(kav_rescue_10.iso)
- Click the big ‘Write’ button.
- The disc creation process will now start and it will take around 5-10 minutes to complete.
Note: It is strongly recommended to record the disk with minimum available speed. Otherwise, it can cause record errors.
STEP 3: Configure the computer to boot from CD-ROM
Use the Delete or F2 keys, to load the BIOS menu. The keys F1, F10, F11, F12 might be used for some motherboards, as well as the following key combinations:
Information how to enter the BIOS menu is displayed on the screen at the start of the OS boot:
- In the BIOS settings select the Boot menu and set CD/DVD-ROM as a primary boot device (the BIOS interface may vary depending on the version).
- Insert a drive/removable device into the CD/DVD ROM drive with Kaspersky Rescue Disk image.
Kaspersky USB Rescue Disk is ready for work. You can boot a computer from it and start the system scan.
STEP 4 :Boot your computer from Kaspersky Rescue Disk
- Restart your computer. After reboot, a message will appear on the screen: Press any key to enter the menu.
- Press any key. A loading wizard will start (you will see the menu to select the required language). If you do not press any key in 10 seconds, the computer boots from hard drive automatically.
- In the start up wizard window that opens, select the graphic interface language using the cursor moving keys. Press the ENTER key on the keyboard.
- Select one of the following start up methods:
- Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Graphic Mode loads the graphic subsystem.
- Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Text Mode loads the text user interface represented by the Midnight Commander (MC) console file manager.
- Boot from Hard Disk.
We highly recommed that you select the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Graphic Mode. then press ENTER.
- The End User License Agreement of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is displayed on the screen. Read carefully the agreement. If you agree with all the statements of the agreement press the C button on your keyboard.
- Once the actions described above have been performed, the operating system starts.
STEP 5: Scan your system with Kaspersky Rescue Disk
You have now successfully booted your system from Kaspersky Rescue Disk and you will be presented with the Kaspersky Rescue Disk interface.In order to perform a system scan please follow the below steps.
- It is recommended to update the Kaspersky Rescue Disk database prior to starting a Scan. Click on My Update Center, then Start update. If you cannot update, try connecting to the Internet using a wired (rather than wireless connection) and restart the Rescue Disk.
When the update completes, the light at the top of the window will turn green, and the databases release date will be updated.
- Click on the Objects Scan tab, and check any hard disks you wish to scan. Then click Start Objects Scan to begin the scan.
- If any malicious items are found, the default settings are to prompt you for action s a red popup window on the bottom right. Delete is the recommended action in most cases but we recommend that you try first to disinfect or quarantine the infected files just to be on the safe side.
- When all detected items have been processed and removed, the light in the window will turn green and the scan will show as completed.
- When done you can close the Kaspersky Rescue Disk window and use the Start Menu to Restart the computer.
Other ways in which you can use the Kaspersky Rescue Disk:
If you need to do some more work or research on the PC, you can access some tools directly from the menu below, which has a fully working web browser, command line, and a file manager.
You’ll be able to access your Windows partition through the /discs/C: folder, and do any other maintenance work you need to do.