Yahoo offers a toolbar and search engine, which are promoted via other free downloads, and once installed on your computer, it will add the Yahoo Toolbar and change your default search engine to Yahoo Search (search.yahoo.com).
Yahoo Search will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your search queries.
Yahoo Search got on your computer after you have installed another free software or add-on that had bundled into their installer this program.
For example, when you install vPlay, you will also agree to change your default browser home page and default search engine to search.yahoo.com, and install the Yahoo Toolbar.
However, when you uninstall vPlay from your computer, your web browser’s default settings will not be restored. This means that you’ll have to remove Yahoo Search from your favorite web browser manually.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this browser hijacker. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
How to remove Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com (Virus Removal Guide)
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove Yahoo Toolbar from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Uninstall Yahoo Toolbar programs from your computer
STEP 2: Remove Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
STEP 3: Remove Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com browser hijacker with AdwCleaner
STEP 4: Remove Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 5: Double-check for the Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com infection with HitmanPro
STEP 1 : Uninstall Yahoo Toolbar program from your computer
Yahoo Toolbar is developed by Mindspark Interactive Network and has installed three programs (Yahoo Internet Explorer Toolbar, Yahoo Firefox Toolbar and Yahoo Toolbar Chrome Extension), which we will need to remove from your computer. In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your computer.
- To uninstall Yahoo Toolbar from your computer, click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel“. Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panel from there, then select Uninstall a program.
- When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall Yahoo Toolbar, Yahoo Firefox Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar Chrome Extension and any other recently installed or unknown programs from your computer.
Depending on what program has installed the Yahoo toolbar or the search.yahoo.com browser hijacker, the above program may have a different name or not be installed. It is recommended that you search for any recently installed programs, so that you may remove any toolbar or unwanted program.
If you are having issues while trying to uninstall Yahoo Toolbar, you can use Revo Uninstaller to completly remove the unwated programs from your machine.
STEP 2 : Remove Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
Remove Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right), then click again on Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, check the Delete personal settings box, then click on Reset.
- When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
- Close and open Internet Explorer.
Remove Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com from Mozilla Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu (on Windows XP, click the Help menu at the top of the Firefox window), and select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish
Remove Yahoo Toolbar and search.yahoo.com from Google Chrome
- Remove Yahoo Toolbar extensions from Google Chrome.
Click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar, select Tools and then click on Extensions.
In the Extensions tab, remove Yahoo 220.127.116.1153and any other unknown extensions by clicking the trash can icon.
Basically, if you have not installed an extension, you should remove it from your web browser.
- Set Google Chrome default search engine from Ask.com to Google.
Click the Chrome menu button, then select Settings and click on Manage search engines in the Search section.
In the Search Engines dialog that appears, select Google and click the Make Default button that appears in the row.
Search for Yahoo Search (search.yahoo.com) in the Search Engines list, and click the X button that appears at the end of the row.
- Change Google Chrome homepage from search.yahoo.com to its default.
Yahoo has modified your Google settings to open their webpage whenever you start your browser, so we will need to revert this change.
Click the Chrome menu button, then select Settings and click on One the New Tab page in the On Startup section.
STEP 3: Remove Yahoo Toolbar browser hijacker with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer and web browser for the Yahoo Toolbar malicious files, browser extensions and registry keys, that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Scan button as shown below.
AdwCleaner will now start to search for the Yahoo Toolbar malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
- To remove the Yahoo Toolbar malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Clean button.
- AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button. AdwCleaner will now delete all detected adware from your computer. When it is done it will display an alert that explains what PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and Adware are. Please read through this information and then press the OK button. You will now be presented with an alert that states AdwCleaner needs to reboot your computer.
Please click on the OK button to allow AdwCleaner reboot your computer.
STEP 4: Remove Yahoo Toolbar virus from with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free uses industry-leading technology to detect and remove all traces of malware, including worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware, and more.
It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts.
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link, then double-click on the icon named mbam-setup.exe to install this program.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK(This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process, then at the last screen click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform quick scan, and then click on the Scan button to start searching for the Yahoo Toolbar malicious files.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for Yahoo Toolbar as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan has finished, click on the Show Results button.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the computer infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has detected. Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked), then click on the Remove Selected button.
STEP 5: Double-check for the Yahoo Toolbar infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.). HitmanPro is designed to work alongside existing security programs without any conflicts. It scans the computer quickly (less than 5 minutes) and does not slow down the computer.
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link:
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double-click on the file named HitmanPro.exe (for 32-bit versions of Windows) or HitmanPro_x64.exe (for 64-bit versions of Windows). When the program starts you will be presented with the start screen as shown below.
Click on the Next button, to install HitmanPro on your computer.
- HitmanPro will now begin to scan your computer for Yahoo Toolbar malicious files.
- When it has finished it will display a list of all the malware that the program found as shown in the image below. Click on the Next button, to remove Yahoo Toolbar adware.
- Click on the Activate free license button to begin the free 30 days trial, and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the Yahoo Toolbar infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future, and perform regular computer scans with HitmanPro.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove Yahoo Toolbar from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.