Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
325022-steam-logo.jpg

Just how addicted to Steam games are Steam's gamers? All the data is publicly available for those who have the time or wherewithal to crunch it, and Ars Technica has done just that.

What the tech site found is that some gamers are eager to snap up titles, but fail to log a significant amount of time playing them. "Right now, I can tell you that about 37 percent of the roughly 781 million games registered to various Steam accounts haven't even been loaded a single time," according to Ars.

Dubbed the "Steam Gauge," Ars's exclusive-for-right-now scrubbing tool churned through the public profiles of random Steam user accounts for about two months as the site worked to construct its methodology for assessing the popularity of games on Steam.

Unfortunately, the site just doesn't have the computing power to run through the entire 172+ million Steam member database on a daily basis, but it can pull approximately 80-90,000 profiles in a given day. The results for a three-day window are all lumped together to create the up-to-date stats for Ars's data tool.

"While we feel our methodology is sound, we wouldn't be comfortable reporting these numbers unless we were able to spot check their accuracy and reliability against some real-world data. Fortunately, we've been able to compare our estimates to both public and private Steam sales data in a few cases now, and we've been pleased with how comparable the results have been," Ars said.

More

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I'm guilty of it myself,more so because of high expectations about a particular game that fails to deliver what I expect from it!:rolleyes:
I guess you could say from my perspective, that I'm a "Steam Addict":p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.