Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Hi everyone,
Does anyone heard about or try Kaspersky Software Updater? Is it good solution for software update checker?
How about compare with others software updater?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
i think it is still in beta.
Yes, it's still in BETA.
1.jpg

What I don't like it's that is always running in the background... I for one would not waste my resources with a program that could be very well used as "on-demand". Ram Usage is around 10MB (that's not a lot.. )

2.jpg

3.jpg

Unfortunately I keep everything up-to-date manually so I don't have any programs that need update to give you an inside on how it works... However knowing what Kaspersky does with "Free Tools", I can bet that they will try to up-sell Kaspersky Antivirus by using this program (again, I have not tested it...so this is just a guess..)
5.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Ok, I have installed FileHippo App Manager 2.0 Beta 1 , and it seems way better...

First off all, it found an update for Mozilla Firefox which Kaspersky Software Updater has missed... This should not have happened as Firefox is a well known software, so I would expect that Kaspersky would let me know if an update is available.
11.jpg

Furthermore with FileHippo, you have more options in the Settings, like stopping the program form running on start-up and in the background, while with Kaspersky you only have the option to setup the time of the scan...

12.jpg
6.jpg

Based on this very quick test, I would go for FilleHippo as Kaspersky's software seems to be not that great in this domain...

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Thanks in advanced, @Jack. Very appreciated for your review!. Besides, can you explain for me how you can check software update manually?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Kaspersky should be more advantage on this in my opinion, since they are suppose to focus too on wide vary range of application within vulnerabilities besides on computer viruses but its opposite a bit, an instrument for advertising which not bad for strategic reasons. ;)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Ok, I have installed FileHippo App Manager 2.0 Beta 1 , and it seems way better...

First off all, it found an update for Mozilla Firefox which Kaspersky Software Updater has missed... This should not have happened as Firefox is a well known software, so I would expect that Kaspersky would let me know if an update is available.

Based on this very quick test, I would go for FilleHippo as Kaspersky's software seems to be not that great in this domain...

FileHippo is a good utility, but it falls nowhere near SuMo, as it has the largest/fastest database collection of software updates among the ones I've tested. But make sure only the portable version is downloaded.

About Kaspersky software updater, it's still in early stages.

Bryan J

Level 1
Verified
May 17, 2015
Unfortunately I keep everything up-to-date manually so I don't have any programs that need update to give you an inside on how it works]

Jack, may I ask just how in the heck you're able to update your app's manually? I mean, if you only have a handful of programs installed that's one thing. But for anyone like myself, or those for whom I provide support for, I'd NEVER be able to keep our PC's updated. I'm trying to envision myself opening, checking, updating, and closing everything in both program files folders. lol

As for updating app's, I'm sticking with FH's updater. I just removed PSI as it wasn't detecting any updates. And I like SUmo, but I don't like it's update process. I also see a lot of sites recommending Nirsoft's Nirlauncher, as it's portable. But only works for 180 app's. (which is quite a bit, but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.