Ace's configuration - much advice requested

Ace

Thread author
Jun 10, 2014
I work in an industry that requires me to look at solicitations from unknown people and new vendors frequently. Sophisticated spearphishing is a real threat in my industry, and because I frequently need to open Email attachments and visit websites from unknowns, my usage scenario faces me with inevitable exposure to malware. With this in mind, I travel frequently, and it isn't practical for me to have a second device as a cannon fodder machine, so to speak.

With all this in mind, have I created a suitable barrier against intruders? I'm very open to suggestions, as I'm new to the industry that now has my computer in the line of fire, and so have only just now started taking computer security seriously. I have an effectively unlimited budget, as I'll just deduct the cost of any security software from my taxes.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Well I must say, very good config!

Foxit - I'm interested in a free alternative that allows you to write on PDFs now that Foxit is bundled with Malware - which which I did easily remove, but still
I am not aware of any free program that will give an option to completely edit your PDF except maybe
http://www.pdfill.com/freewriter.html
also, NitroPdf free will give you an option to create a PDF from any other document format...

Also and most important Welcome to MalwareTips !!! :)

D

Deleted member 178

Comodo Internet Security Pro (AV, sandboxing, HIPS, and firewall all enabled) - if you need RealTime AV
Malwarebytes Anti Malware Pro - turn off realtime, use it as on-demand scanner
Hitman Pro Alert - not really needed
Zemana Antilogger (full paid version)-CIS do the same but better
Appguard (currently in 10 day trial) - buy it, using only it is already enough
Malwarebytes Anti Exploit (Beta)- not needed , Appguard do it for you

too much, i highlighted the one you should keep.

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
I can say that your system is secure.

It's very good that you are aware of all the threats in today's landscape and that a big part of them is being aimed at industries and businesses. While Comodo doesn't have the greatest detection, it does an excellent job at prevention and sandboxing. Also, you have Malwarebytes and HitmanPro which both have great detection ratios. The browser is well-secured as well with Zemana, HMP.Alert and MBAE, but I'd recommend only having one or two of those, as highlighted by @Umbra Polaris above. The many privacy/security extensions don't hurt either, although they may slow down browsing.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Agree with the previous suggestions.Thanks for sharing your config :) Looks good just use some of Umbra's suggestions.

Ace

Thread author
Jun 10, 2014
I'm recommendations for improving my [lack of a] backup setup? I'd like something to easily automate export to my flash drive on a non-scheduled basis (IE, click to backup) as a cold backup, and am also interested in an automated web based solution as as supplement.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Hi Ace, your system has very good protection already, but i have some recommendations for you. First of all, you can use only Comodo Firewall without the AV component, Comodo Firewall has a Viruscope technology which provides Comodo Firewall with the ability to monitor the actions of system processes, and reverse them if they are judged to be malware. The firewall judges whether something is malware by recognising malware-like behavior (ie through dynamic heuristics). It also accesses all the latest definitions "in the cloud" and that way it will detect malicious files without the AV component. I recommend you to use Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition combined with Comodo Firewall. Or if you really have unlimited budget then Emsisoft Internet Security, as Online Armor is a really good firewall. Don't know if Emsisoft Antimalware and Comodo Firewall are compatible, if they are then this is the way. You may want to set it like this: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm
This guide will work equally well for configuring Comodo Firewall, but the screenshots are from CIS.;) I also use MBAM Pro but it uses too much resources. Good at blocking trojans and PUPs. Also has and Anti-roottkit technology built-in. Set Hitman Pro to run a scan automatically at some time(preferably on startup). Hitman Pro.Alert not needed and Zemana Antilloger also not needed because Comodo Firewall will prevent key-loggers. Keep MBAM Anti-Exploit and note that's it's out of BETA now, update it if you haven't done so or of your version is not 1.03.1.1220. Use Web of Trust add-on. Doesn't all that extensions slow your internet connection and your browser? Please share with me that AppGuard because there are many AppGuards in Google and i would like to see it. You might want to scan weekly or so with Kaspersky TDSS Killer just for precaution, you know.:D I personally use FileHippo.com update checker, but Secunia is really good at detecting security vulnerabilities. This is good against malicious websites: http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/antiphishing/
If you really care about privacy then you can use a search engine like Ixquick or StartPage or DuckDuckGo. Also, Foxit is maybe the most secure PDF reader, 100% no malware unless you're talking about adware which is not the same at all. You can remove adware with Avast browser cleanup. Hope i helped you.:eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.