Mini Spy

Latest Threads

Ad-Aware Free IS (+ free firewall) vs Outpost Free IS vs CIS Free

Discussion in 'War Room' started by ocsi, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocsi

ocsi Regular Member

Which Free Internet Security Software is better / useful?
    a) Ad-Aware Free IS (+ any free firewall)
    b) Outpost Free IS
    c) CIS Free

ps: New version: Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.6.0

2. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

I'd go for Comodo Internet Security since it protects the best, Much lighter than any of the other 2 mentioned suites and doesn't impose any limitations within the software itself.

3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

I would go for CIS because of one it is lighter on resources and has a fairly good detection rate and has a lot of features that come with it.

4. Huracan

Huracan Administrator MalwareTips Staff

Ad-Aware Free Internet Security - A free Internet Security suite without a Firewall, that makes sense. :dodgy:

Ad-Aware Free and Outpost Free have no chance when competing against one of the top Firewall/Suite software(s). Of course it's down to the users opinion, but 90% will choose Comodo.

5. NathanF1

NathanF1 Regular Member

Ad-Aware Free uses both Vipre and in-house engines, there are some performance issues with it [which Ad-Aware were reportedly working to fix], not to mention the cloud hanging over the practices of their owners [more in this MT thread]. Once revered, it has fallen into obscurity, and although they are trying hard to get their mojo back, you have to opt for Ad-Aware Total Security to be able to use an OEM version of G-DATA [contains Avast, BitDefender and Ad-Aware engines].

Outpost also uses Vipre AM engine, I think, which although VB100-certified is adequate and the "weak link" in this suite of contrasting components. The strength of OSS Free is in its firewall and proactive protection - excellent HIPS that comes pretty close to the prowess of Comodo. Nevermind the rhetoric about this being the first fully functional free security suite, the original release suffered from a number of usability issues, and, dare I say it, borderline disrespectful attitude towards the public - initially you could only update your definitions once a day. Luckily, these have been fixed, but AFAIK the Free still trails way behind the current paid edition, which brought considerable performance and functional improvements.

And there it is - CIS Free. Light, tamed and behaving way more restrained than before, lots of features - Defence+, auto sandbox, cloud-based antivirus and behavior analysis, SecureDNS service... The erratic behavior and statements of the CEO are at times cringe worthy, the company has had its own controversies, but actions speak louder than words, and CIS Free is enough to make you forget the latter.

CIS Free for me.

6. Umbra Polaris

Umbra Polaris Security Configuration Expert MalwareTips Staff

cant say better than Nathan. CIS for me too. by the way i heard that Comodo is developpping an Behavior Blocker.

7. Jack

Jack Administrator MalwareTips Staff

As far as I can remember Outpost Free and Ad-ware Free are only limited versions of the Pro suite..so they lack some features.I won't get into any details because even the full versions of this suites can compete with CIS.....
    For me it's an easy choice : COMODO Internet Security.

8. ocsi

ocsi Regular Member

Me too!:D

9. ocsi

ocsi Regular Member

Ad-Aware Free and Outpost Free - would be a good solution.:)

10. ocsi

ocsi Regular Member

An excellent review! Your comment containing, on short, all relevant and necessary information.

11. ocsi

ocsi Regular Member

Thank you all for your prompt responses!
    I started this topic to find solutions together and other than those already well known.:blush:

12. ocsi

ocsi Regular Member

"As far as I can remember Outpost Free and Ad-ware Free are only limited versions of the Pro suite ....." - Yes, but together they are can a reliable solution. ... Or not?!:D

13. jamescv7

jamescv7 Community Superstar Trusted Member

Well I would say directly, CIS Free goes my vote. Definitely one of the successful free internet security software.

14. NathanF1

NathanF1 Regular Member

Soemthing has been bugging me about my post and when I read it again I realized I made a mistake - I meant that Outpost uses VirusBuster engine, along in-house engines, but typed Vipre. To be exact:

Apologies for the error :(

15. samit

samit Active Member

i prefer avast with comodo firewall.......but if i have to choose among 3 mentioned......i would go for comodo internet security.......

16. House_maniac

House_maniac Regular Member

i use comodo internet security so i will say comodo :)

17. WinAndLinuxTutorials

WinAndLinuxTutorials Community Superstar Trusted Member

I think that Ad-Aware is more like a bloatware. It uses a lot of space, as the installer itself is <120MB! I would recommend you to get CIS instead. It's a lot better.

18. malbky

malbky Regular Member

I would go with CIS. The major problem with ad-awre specifically vipre engine is that it isnt compatible with most firewall. According to me, after testing i found only OA works, that too u have to disable vipres HIPS driver.

Nathan, outpost does not use Vipre engine. Outpost uses Virusbuster and their own engine. Detection rate is good but not excellent. I would too recommended CIS as its av has won ICSA and West Coast certification.

19. win7holic

win7holic

without thinking long time.
    I choose CIS free. :)

ALL in one:
    Antivirus engine, Firewall, defense + ,sandbox = GREAT Suite.

20. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

Thumbs up to that win7holic. The other choices doesn't really impress me with what they are offering for protection.