New Update Adblock Edge Review & Update Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yigido

Thread author
D5ApIx6.png

Adblock Edge is a fork of the Adblock Plus version 2.1.2 extension for blocking advertisements on the web, without sponsored ads whitelist.

• What is a Fork?

In Software Programming a Fork is when someone take a copy of source code from one software package, in this case ABP 2.0, and start independent development on it, creating a separate piece of software.
A very similar Example of a fork like Adblock Edge is GNUicecat which re branded and added additional privacy features to Mozilla Firefox.

• Why did you change your icon to blue?

To partially honor a cease and desist order by an Advertising Agency (guess who). Cease and desist order. I didn't change the name of the addon because the word "Adblock" is merely descriptive. See the following pdf

• Adblock Edge doesn't block this website!

Contact easylist managers

• OMG you are killing the internet.

See “ads don't generate money article” a nice post before bribery era.

• Why did you remove acceptable ads? What if i want to use it?

Acceptable Ads whitelist like any other list can be added to Adblock Edge, you can found acceptable ads inside Subscriptions.

• What are the differenced between ABP and ABE ?
Diffs.png

Homepage : http://adstomper.bitbucket.org/index.html
Getting Adblock Edge: Download
Installation steps: Read
Subscriptions : See
Contact info : adblockedge [a] zoho

Enjoy :)

Y

yigido

Thread author
Thanks for this review but what about ram consumption ?
These two (ABP & ABE) lying on the same source code. So I will not go into great expectations :)
If anyone wants to make APB 'lighter', the best bet is do use a filter that doesn't have element hiding. The way Adblock Plus handles element hiding is the reason for its resource usage issues, because it injects huge css stylesheets into every page. There's a version of easylist with no element hiding
You can use ABE with this style ;)

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
For me ABE was much lighter ABP on my pc but after a few months i removed it because i was having slow downs when browsing.But if you have powerfull pc and much RAM i think you will be ok.
I must say that the above board explains why i prefer ABE from ABP.The board speaks for itself;).

Reactions: yigido
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.