Adguard for Chrome/Firefox/Opera 1.0.3.1 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I tried adguard in firefox and restarted the browser and adguard uninstalled itself.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Test done, not surprised at all similar to the test I did with Firefox.

Note: AdGuard advertises they use less memory atleast it's true.

---

Chrome Version:
GcgCim2.png

rL3BaDM.png

1] Memory usage for this MalwareTips thread no other tabs or webpages open.

eZ38VZq.png
2] VIM Color Scheme Test website with No AdBlock Plus or AdGuard installed.

MQQGFi2.png

3] VIM Color Scheme Test website with AdBlock Plus For Chrome ENABLED.

bF0jWTB.png

4] VIM Color Scheme Test website with AdGuard ENABLED.

If I were a Chrome user, I'd be using either AdGuard or uBlock, not AdBlock Plus.

If you want to test this for yourself here's the VIM Color Scheme Test website with plenty of iframes.

Enjoy. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack and Kent

gorhill

Level 1
Sep 18, 2014

rL3BaDM.png

1] Memory usage for this MalwareTips thread no other tabs or webpages open.

eZ38VZq.png
2] VIM Color Scheme Test website with No AdBlock Plus or AdGuard installed.

MQQGFi2.png

3] VIM Color Scheme Test website with AdBlock Plus For Chrome ENABLED.

bF0jWTB.png

4] VIM Color Scheme Test website with AdGuard ENABLED.

If I were a Chrome user, I'd be using either AdGuard or uBlock, not AdBlock Plus.

If you want to test this for yourself here's the VIM Color Scheme Test website with plenty of iframes.

The problem with this test is that AdGuard comes with a filter to make it look good on this particular site:

! Fixing memory issues with lots of frames
@@||vimcolorschemetest.googlecode.com^$document

So essentially AdGuard disables itself on that site, hence it looks good.

It never occurred to me to do such trick with uBlock, because it's fundamentally dishonest: it is expected some people will submit their blocker to the Vim Color Scheme Test after the spotlight was put on ABP, and thus it is cheating to silently prevent your blocker from being tested fairly against ABP. Is short, AdGuard fooled you here.

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
The problem with this test is that AdGuard comes with a filter to make it look good on this particular site:

It never occurred to me to do such trick with uBlock, because it's fundamentally dishonest: it is expected some people will submit their blocker to the Vim Color Scheme Test after the spotlight was put on ABP, and thus it is cheating to silently prevent your blocker from being tested fairly against ABP. Is short, AdGuard fooled you here.

@gorhill currently using your extension;it works fine! I suggest you should add a right click element-hiding helper(I know that it a element hiding helper is present in the popup of your extension),so it would be useful for novices..............
Regards,
Kent

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014

@gorhill, add this rule to ABP for Firefox and look at the memory usage.

The problem is that ABP for Firefox cannot control whether it injects CSS or not because of the way they do it (registering browser-wide stylesheet). Adguard does not use this way by default (it is used if "Send statistics for ad filters usage" is enabled).

So Adguard can control the CSS/JS injections. We do not inject CSS/JS into small frames thus we can optimize memory usage.

Vim Color Scheme Test is for Firefox only to show the problem of browser-wide stylesheets (as you can read in the original post in mozilla devs blog). Testing Chrome extensions with it is simply wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kent
S

Sr. Normal

hi
I have Ghostery , Adblock and DoNotTrackMe in Chrome . I see also speak of ublock .
Do You recommend me some change?
Thank you. A greeting to all and have a good day

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 8, 2014
I'm trying μBlock and see that it is much lighter than Adblock Plus, loads websites faster, less ram and cpu consumption.

Reactions: Oxygen
S

Sr. Normal

Mr Xidus thanks for your work and time, enlightening

RevolutionSphere thanks, between your comment and the MrXidus I are removing the desire to try.

I also use Adblock Kent , did simultaneous with Adguard ?

Gorhill thanks know who cheat lessens their credibility to try . Good thing that you share .

Avatar , thanks, I'll go about enabling and disabling others to find the best configuration will be the best way to see how they work together .

101001 Thanks , I like to control the resources .

Greetings to all who have a good day

Reactions: Kent and MrXidus

gorhill

Level 1
Sep 18, 2014
So Adguard can control the CSS/JS injections. We do not inject CSS/JS into small frames thus we can optimize memory usage.

Ok, then I expect you would not suffer the same memory problem as ABP does.

Vim Color Scheme Test is for Firefox only to show the problem of browser-wide stylesheets (as you can read in the original post in mozilla devs blog). Testing Chrome extensions with it is simply wrong.

ABP's problem affects other browsers as well. Vim Color Test is just a web page which is good to stress-test blockers, regardless of browser. On Chromium 64-bit, ABP will reach almost 2GB, as seen in the picture at https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/wiki/Adblock-Plus-memory-consumption#. It's a stress-test useful to figure where to improve blocker code, and it's actually W. Palant's response (unduly putting the responsibility on Firefox devs) to the results of this stress-test which motivated me to write uBlock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
ABP's problem affects other browsers as well.

It does but you can easily fix it by adding necessary exceptions in ad filters and in my opinion it is enough.

The point is that if you use ABP for Firefox it's impossible to fix. If your computer is not fast enough Vim Color Test with ABP is not just slow but unusable.

It's a stress-test useful to figure where to improve blocker code, and it's actually W. Palant's response (unduly putting the responsibility on Firefox devs) to the results of this stress-test which motivated me to write uBlock.

Trying to inject only those CSS rules which are needed is very interesting solution indeed.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.