Battle Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader or Nitro PDF Reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
BoXX28 said:
I just tried opening a bunch of PDF files with Foxit and I must say that it's a whole lot better than Sumatra PDF! :D

If you like to disable "Advertisement", go to View and unselect it. You can also get rid of the Ask logo by going to Tools>Preferences>Internet search. For safety you can disable Java script by going to Preferences>Java script. :)

Bo

ocsi

Level 1
Oct 26, 2011
I prefer PDF-XChange Viewer. Is smaller, faster and more feature rich than any other FREE PDF Reader available (at least I think so!:angel:).
Between Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader or Nitro PDF Reader - I choose Foxit Reader:D

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
I more likely to use PDF- XChange Viewer but from these software's I prefer Nitro PDF Reader. It very good and user of this software can edit PDF files.

Luceen

Jan 30, 2012
I prefer PDF-XChange too and therefore I vote for None. It's strange - I don't see it in this list. It's very popular pdf Viewer - Free and PRO. Before I used to try Foxit and Nitro and had on my office computer Adobe Acrobat but at home I like to use PDF-XChange and now at office too. All needing features, ease to use, new free OCR feature, very fast search (much more faster than Adobe and Foxit) and intelligible GUI - this is PDF-XChange.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I have tried Nitro but it didn't want to function. Foxi is light and easy to use. You can do a lot with it, something Abode doesn't. For me it's the best

Geni

Jan 26, 2012
I use Nitro Pro 7 and i like its features, its light and really fast,
it gives you all you need for viewing, editing and making fast PDF files, it integrates in MS Office and it is stable(unlike Foxit Phantom)!

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Adobe's the standard in a lot of ways. PDFs typically match compatibility to it - it's a bit like how IE used to be.

That said it's also like IE in that it used to be incredible insecure and now has sandboxing. I'd say Adobe Reader is more secure than any other reader out there besides, perhaps, Chrome's, which is what I use.

janotherUser

Mar 21, 2014
FoxitReader is MALWARE!

Just so everyone is aware ... Foxit Reader is now bundling with Conduit Search, at least in the US. Conduit search changed all my home pages and changed the default search engine in all browsers to Conduit Search. This installation is done without notification. Checkboxes or permissions on installation are not apparent and installation of these programs are done without user consent.

A brief search shows that the bundling is location dependent, if you live in Europe the bundle will be different than the US.

Also bundled without user consent or knowledge is something called Foxit Cloud, which is a separate program, at least in Windows. While I haven't checked out this piece of separate software I regard it as highly suspicious.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
FoxitReader is MALWARE!

Just so everyone is aware ... Foxit Reader is now bundling with Conduit Search, at least in the US. Conduit search changed all my home pages and changed the default search engine in all browsers to Conduit Search. This installation is done without notification. Checkboxes or permissions on installation are not apparent and installation of these programs are done without user consent.

A brief search shows that the bundling is location dependent, if you live in Europe the bundle will be different than the US.

Also bundled without user consent or knowledge is something called Foxit Cloud, which is a separate program, at least in Windows. While I haven't checked out this piece of separate software I regard it as highly suspicious.

Weird, I never had such an issue. I just uninstalled Foxit reader and reinstalled it to check if this happens to me. By the way my copy of Foxit reader was downloaded from FileHippo.

During the installation I was asked to configure everything manually, then I was suddenly given a choice between an express and a custom installation, without looking at what this step is talking about, you will feel suspicious - It asks to install Baidu PC Faster in my example. Perhaps you didn't pay attention to this?

y4APPYD.png

One more thing, did you download it from somewhere like CNET? They have their own installers that download your desired program along with their rubbish. I recommend using Ninite - it automatically installs the programs they offer, saying no to any installation of other applications.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ved

Level 3
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
The new Adobe reader seems to be very fast, but taking high memory usage is still a issue.

Foxit have always been a good PDF reader and it's fast but PDF-xchange viewer is also worth mentioning here.

sometimes with large pdf files(such as pdf containing scanned images), foxit is comparatively slow in some activities (like re-saving that pdf after editing and organizing) than the pdf-xchange.

sumatra is good, simple fast and no-frills but it lacks highlighting option, something very essential, at least for me.

robin hood

Level 4
Verified
Dec 12, 2012
BitDefender detect PUP when run install Foxit(6).I am 2-3 years user foxit reader.Foxit is TOP product.Complet all features and fast.Needed another free reader whith all features(editor).
PDF xchange viewer is good but when put text can't move-delet black border.(sorry for bad english)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.