Not open for further replies.

Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Warning about fraudulent phone calls on behalf of Microsoft and Malicious Software installation
http://www.policiajudiciaria.pt/PortalWeb/page/{F30869C9-4305-4D34-B873-3E83D57C630C}

Following various communications and complaints that have been made, the Judicial Police alert:

Over the past few days, there has been, of massive and increasingly, a malware distribution attempt, beginning with fraudulent phone calls using abusively the company name Microsoft. These phone calls, randomly directed, would have you believe to recipients, a official Microsoft IT security department, expressing themselves in English, is the resolve of your personal computer problems, referring various situations, such as (i) infection by a virus; (Ii) the system needs to be updated; and that solving them requires the implementation of a series of instructions and commands, for which the employee is supposed offers to help. It is said also that the problem can be solved by paying alleged updates Windows system by purchasing support packages and assistance. giving credibility your contact, seeking details of victims' credit cards and induce the same to the installation of malicious software, through which they can obtain confidential data, or even remote access to your computer, changing the . settings and making them vulnerable . With this data, criminals come in possession of sufficient data to achieve fraudulent wire transfers on behalf of the victims, causing damage that can amount to thousands of euros Thus, the Judicial Police recommends :

• there should be no response to such contacts, since they are not made by Microsoft company; should not be provided any kind of personal data;
    • should not be provided any kind of personal data;
    • should not be given any interaction with your computer system, otherwise damage and damage to the equipment as well as personal data that there may exist.

OBS:. this is a scheme used in Portugal but which I believe can be extended to other countries.
Be alert and do not disclose any importante information.

Reactions: Bill7 and tallorder

Bubblehead

Mar 18, 2014
I had a call from them a few weeks ago, I kept the moron on the phone for over an hour trying to get him logged on to my PC. When I got tired of him I told him that the neighbors house took a lighting hit and was on fire. They called back the next day, so we played for another hour then I told them that I knew they were fake and there was no way they were going to get on my PC. They were not happy with me.

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
I had one..or more... a few months back, but didn't identify from Microsoft. Tried desperately to convince me if we logged on, they could offer...(everything) from cotton candy to lifesavers- to Scotch and water!

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I got one this morning, except they claimed to be from "Windows." They said that whenever I use my computer, it shows up that many other people are using it at the same time. I quickly called him on it, but he was persistent. I said I know about the Microsoft support scam, but he emphatically said that this is Windows calling.........:rolleyes:
I had an exam, so I couldn't play along, but he acted surprised I kept it real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.