AlexLH's Security Config

AlexLH

Thread author
Jul 27, 2014
It seems like I have a lot of active security software running, however I haven't really had any slowdown at all, and most of the products are designed to be non-conflicting.

Reactions: Koroke San
S

starchild76

get rid of system mechanic! its a notorious systemwrecker!!! unbelieveble that you even can work on a machine with so many realtime products enabled ;)

Reactions: MalwareT
M

MalwareT

Nice Config :) I'd recommend to use AdGuard instead of ABP and LastPass or Sticky Password or Keepass for password manager, and for scanner Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Reactions: starchild76

AlexLH

Thread author
Jul 27, 2014
@starchild76: I spent a lot of time experimenting with products that work together. Hence why I was unable to use BitDefender Total Security (in my experience, it is very aggressive with other applications, including AI Suite III from ASUS, which I use with my mobo). My machine is still very fast, even with everything enabled :) As for system mechanic, what do you recommend as an alternative?

@Malware Test: I tried AdGuard, but unfortunately, it didn't seem to work at all on my machine (possibly one of the real-time protection components?), so I moved back to Adblock Plus. EDIT: I like 1Password because I control both the key and the data, unlike LastPass (which I've tried before), and you can attach small files (such as software licenses that are file-based, I don't know if LastPass supports that). I may look into Sticky Password or Keepass though!

M

MalwareT

@starchild76: I spent a lot of time experimenting with products that work together. Hence why I was unable to use BitDefender Total Security (in my experience, it is very aggressive with other applications, including AI Suite III from ASUS, which I use with my mobo). My machine is still very fast, even with everything enabled :) As for system mechanic, what do you recommend as an alternative?

@Malware Test: I tried AdGuard, but unfortunately, it didn't seem to work at all on my machine (possibly one of the real-time protection components?), so I moved back to Adblock Plus.

Maybe, I meant on extension for Opera,Chrome and Firefox.

S

starchild76

if you want free : wisecare 365 , iobit advanced systemcare
paid : auslogics boostspeed or tuneup utilities ( I know there a lot of people here on this forum that think otherwise , but I like it , besides that I get free licenses for AVG products , since I am an AVG Hall Of Famer :) )

M

MalwareT

if you want free : wisecare 365 , iobit advanced systemcare
paid : auslogics boostspeed or tuneup utilities ( I know there a lot of people here on this forum that think otherwise , but I like it , besides that I get free licenses for AVG products , since I am an AVG Hall Of Famer :) )

Good for you, I'm Hall Of Famer of Ashampoo since I'm proud owner of 90% of their products ;) :D :)

AlexLH

Thread author
Jul 27, 2014
@Malware Test: I just switched the extensions in Chrome, I'll try it out!

@starchild76: Hmmm, I tried WiseCare 365 before, but I haven't heard about many people's experience with it. As for IObit, I've heard some pretty nasty stuff about them as a company, and I haven't tried their stuff in years. Then again, I've heard some pretty bad stuff about System Mechanic too... ;)

M

MalwareT

@Malware Test: I just switched the extensions in Chrome, I'll try it out!

@starchild76: Hmmm, I tried WiseCare 365 before, but I haven't heard about many people's experience with it. As for IObit, I've heard some pretty nasty stuff about them as a company, and I haven't tried their stuff in years. Then again, I've heard some pretty bad stuff about System Mechanic too... ;)

Ok :D Try out WiseCare 365, I have free license for Pro version, I can send you installation file via TeamViewer ;)

Byte

Level 1
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
A paranoid terrible configuration. For real-time emsisoft and MBAE are enough. I can sense the sluggishness of your machine.

AlexLH

Thread author
Jul 27, 2014
@Byte: Well, my machine /isn't/ sluggish :/ It goes from BIOS to Windows' Login screen in under 10 seconds (6-8 seconds, usually), and everything opens nice and snappy...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.4 GHz
RAM: 16GB @ 1866MHz
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
EDIT: HDD: Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Other than nonexistant performance problems, what is terrible? I'm asking sincerely, because if there is any severe issue with the setup, I would like to be able to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: McLovin

Byte

Level 1
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
@Byte: Well, my machine /isn't/ sluggish :/ It goes from BIOS to Windows' Login screen in under 10 seconds (6-8 seconds, usually), and everything opens nice and snappy...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.4 GHz
RAM: 16GB @ 1866MHz
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
EDIT: HDD: Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Other than nonexistant performance problems, what is terrible? I'm asking sincerely, because if there is any severe issue with the setup, I would like to be able to fix it.

It's the unnecessary bloat, Norton went downhill so it basically does nothing but hog up some RAM/CPU. And I don't see why webroot would make a difference to the security of your system as Emsisoft has a superior behavior blocker and detection. MBAM on real-time if fine (It's web-filter isn't good though).
It's alright if you want to keep them, but why would someone with an advanced security awareness need an arsenal of security products? You might want to add anti-executable instead of products that do the same thing. Just my opinion, wasn't trying to criticize or anything.

M

MalwareT

It's the unnecessary bloat, Norton went downhill so it basically does nothing but hog up some RAM/CPU. And I don't see why webroot would make a difference to the security of your system as Emsisoft has a superior behavior blocker and detection. MBAM on real-time if fine (It's web-filter isn't good though).
It's alright if you want to keep them, but why would someone with an advanced security awareness need an arsenal of security products? You might want to add anti-executable instead of products that do the same thing. Just my opinion, wasn't trying to criticize or anything.

Norton is now using a cloud and it uses 12-20MB RAM, Endpoint Protection 35MB.

AlexLH

Thread author
Jul 27, 2014
@Byte: Hmmm... Well, I have only recently played around with Emsisoft. It seems to be hardly noticed by independent testing (of course that doesn't mean anything, but there's little information elsewhere either). Webroot describes how their behaviour technology works (at a high-level, not an implementation level), while I see little about Emsisoft's behaviour/heuristics technology. As for Norton, they have really improved, and while people bash them, from what I've seen it does excellent at detection (in large part to their community watch feature, which is sometimes unnecessarily paranoid). If there is any place I can read documentation on how Emsisoft's technology works, I would be willing to drop Webroot. As it stands, Webroot has virtually no performance impact on my system. :) And I didn't take your comments as criticism, I'm sure most of the people here have much more experience with these products (such as Emsisoft) than I do, I'm here to learn.

AlexLH

Thread author
Jul 27, 2014
Ok :D Try out WiseCare 365, I have free license for Pro version, I can send you installation file via TeamViewer ;)

Sorry for the late response. I actually dug out my old license (it's a lifetime license), and I may install it after removing System Mechanic. :D

AlexLH

Thread author
Jul 27, 2014
@King Mellow: Yes, and they actually work well together (seemingly). As long as your PC has the horsepower to run them (and it doesn't seem like it would be much, I've run Norton Internet Security + Webroot on a mid-range laptop before w/o problems), they don't seem to conflict. However, as Byte noted, I don't know if it's actually all that beneficial. It would seem like an extreme case of diminishing returns (because, ideally, they would all have perfect overlap, and in practice they all do have a lot of overlap in functionality).

For now, they seem to work, and any malware I've been able to find are blocked by at least one product.

D

Deleted member 178

ok let me point the issue there:

1- NIS = AV + Behavior Blocker + Firewall
2- Emsi ISP = AV + BB + HIPS + FW
3- MBAM = AV
4- Webroot= AV + HIPS

basically you have have 4 engines but all of them are compatible (3 of them are considered as companion), so if you don't have visible slowdowns , it is ok, just be sure to set each of them properly (processes & folders exclusions, real-time monitoring, etc...)

now the big issue:

1- you have 2 active firewalls (the one in NIS and OA) , both install drivers that need to hooks themselves in the kernel , by doing this you allows conflicts and instability in your system (even if you do't see it right now); also OA firewall is obsolete (old technology, lucky for you , you can totally disable it , but it need a reboot). So i recommend you to remove OA , since WSA also have an HIPS; you will not loose much.

OA is a major "slowdowner" , especially during the boot. i used it for very long time , and it is a fact.

all your AVs will put a strain on the HDD , multiple monitoring simultaneously and i/o writes.

If i was you , i will use NIS + WSA and put EAM and MBAM on demand. Your system will thank you a lot.

that is my advices, i am well known here to have been the most paranoid with unbelievable Combos (check my sig) , so if i tell you you don't need all those , just believe me ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree with Umbra even though I am a die hard EIS user on all my Windows 7 installations.However on Windows 8 I found OA to be exactly as Umbra stated above.That is why I use another Security Suite on all Windows 8 installations. I would follow Umbra's suggestions above and you will have a great config without conflict or slowdowns.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.