All Files with no extension show as file type CoupExtension Windows Explorer

EzDoesIt

Thread author
Feb 21, 2015
I am helping my friend remove Malware from their computer. The infection that she called me with was SuperOptimizer. My go to tool has always been Malwarebytes, but it was not resolving the issue. I came across your Malware Removal Guide and followed all steps. I was using the now 'clean' computer to ensure the issue was really resolved. When AdChoices came back I googled and found that I could add an entry to the host file to prevent it from reaching the ad server. When I navigated to the host file location I noticed that the files had no extension but showed as file type CoupExtension.

upload_2015-2-22_8-21-8.png

The entries I added to the file were:
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

I attempted to run FRST64.exe prior to starting this thread but panda neutralized it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Can you export this key?
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Please copy this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.\OpenWithProgids]

Paste to notepad, save as FIX.REG and open. Then reboot your computer.

EzDoesIt

Thread author
Feb 21, 2015
The key was added successfully, I rebooted the computer, but the files still appear as file type CoupExtension.

EzDoesIt

Thread author
Feb 21, 2015
After looking again at the fix and then looking at the registry I was able to see that the CoupExtension entry still existed. I deleted that key under -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.\OpenWithProgids]. I also found it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\. default key data value, I removed it from there and it resolved my problem.

Thanks for getting me there :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.