Alternative to "Better popup blocker" ?

l1nuxfre4k

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2014
hey all :)
My most used extension to chrome Better popup blocker is removed from Google store and havent been updated since like 2010/12,
Do you guys know any alternatives?
I got lots of options with this extension that i like :/

Some block functions i really like and want with another extension
Blocked Functions
Select the html/javascript functions to block below:
Javascript window pop ups
Prompt & alert boxes
Text selection intercept
Javascript context menu, cut/copy/paste, & click intercept
Automatically moving & resizing windows
Print dialogues opened by javascript
Fire events on unload (Leaving a web page)
document.createEvent (Can be used to simulate the mouse and keyboard)
Window targets (Checking this forces pages to load in the same tab)
Unescape & eval (Used to obfuscate code)
Javascript timers

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
I think you should better go for adguard, which is a pop-up ad blocker offering more features than abp and others. I hope this will solve your problem. If you still have any queries, you're welcome. Thanks!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Pop Block Pro
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pop-block-pro-the-ultimat/bhjmjkdknjeokcmgjmdpkccpmahfmiib
Chrome will alert you that the extension may access all your data. We use Chrome API's which allow us to see each window and tab opened and how they were opened so we can determine if they are a pop up or pop under window. We do not access any information. We are also internet users and trying to stop pop ups and pop unders from ruining your experience.​

According to the reviews it's highly rated, but failed to block a pop-up on a common site I use to test with.

Not to be confused with "Pop up Blocker Pro" - https://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/Adware.Win32.Pop_up_Blocker_Pro-remove.aspx

A desktop-based Ad / Pop-up Blocker could be an alternate and covers all browsers.

Reactions: Domelo

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
hey all :)
My most used extension to chrome Better popup blocker is removed from Google store and havent been updated since like 2010/12,
Do you guys know any alternatives?
I got lots of options with this extension that i like :/

Some block functions i really like and want with another extension
I also feel that you should try adguard. Its really worth a try!!

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
Pop Block Pro
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pop-block-pro-the-ultimat/bhjmjkdknjeokcmgjmdpkccpmahfmiib
Chrome will alert you that the extension may access all your data. We use Chrome API's which allow us to see each window and tab opened and how they were opened so we can determine if they are a pop up or pop under window. We do not access any information. We are also internet users and trying to stop pop ups and pop unders from ruining your experience.​

According to the reviews it's highly rated, but failed to block a pop-up on a common site I use to test with.

Not to be confused with "Pop up Blocker Pro" - https://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/Adware.Win32.Pop_up_Blocker_Pro-remove.aspx

A desktop-based Ad / Pop-up Blocker could be an alternate and covers all browsers.

I think rating doesn't matter in today's era of electronics because almost every product owner spend money to get high rating through different platforms and by hiring people to write reviews for them. Isn't it? So, the only thing that matters is the performance and reliability factor. If we take these two adblockers, I don't think they're more sustainable than other ad blockers like adguard, adblock and adblock plus. Still, the choices are good for normal users.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
I think rating doesn't matter in today's era of electronics because almost every product owner spend money to get high rating through different platforms and by hiring people to write reviews for them. Isn't it? So, the only thing that matters is the performance and reliability factor. If we take these two adblockers, I don't think they're more sustainable than other ad blockers like adguard, adblock and adblock plus. Still, the choices are good for normal users.
And also, it is more to do with one's requirement and self experience. A product might suit my require to the best but may not be equally effective and productive to someone else!!!1

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OP is asking for a "Pop up blocker", so I suggested one. I also mentioned that it failed to block a pop-up, hence why I also suggested a desktop-based Ad Blocking solution. For example: AdFender - I use this on another PC.

Domelo

Level 1
Verified
Feb 18, 2014
OP is asking for a "Pop up blocker", so I suggested one. I also mentioned that it failed to block a pop-up, hence why I also suggested a desktop-based Ad Blocking solution. For example: AdFender - I use this on another PC.

You're right, but adguard itself is a pop-up blocker.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Does adfender blocks HTTPS ads? did u tried it? thnx :)

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Haven't tested that, will test that when I'm next on that computer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.