SyntaxTerror's Config

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
I ran out of energy describing my computer... i'll be back to elaborate, if there's any curiosity...

Ambiguous agendas. ZoneAlarm giveaway, but, also, BitDefender TS ate my IP address. ...maybe...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome, I moved your Title to the description.

So are you currently using Webroot or Bitdefender, I assume you uninstall them instead of just disabling them?

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks, Huracan. Despite my affinity for computers (yes, I get paid for IT), I am not a forum aficionado. I generally stay resigned to my staple sites, and the rest is entertainment, production, and education.

Welcome, I moved your Title to the description.

So are you currently using Webroot or Bitdefender, I assume you uninstall them instead of just disabling them?

Oddly, the entirety of your reply, Huracan, did not populate until I hit "reply". (which I am aware I should have done, first. sorry, multitasking) In any event, yes, I removed each of them and their remnants (I think...) before using the other.

Reactions: Ink

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
To much cream on the ice.
Less is more

You do not need so much stuff it only bogs down a pc, and with a properly configured OS and best practice computer and broswer habits you render 80% of the tools listed useless.
Other then that it seems you have things OVER covered...or shall i say uber?

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
You have alot of stuff installed.

Do I? I thought the opposite. I spent a lot of time ensuring my software setup did not have overlapping function, unless it was justifiably convenient. The listed items are either "portable", or serve a distinct purpose.

To much cream on the ice.
Less is more

You do not need so much stuff it only bogs down a pc, and with a properly configured OS and best practice computer and broswer habits you render 80% of the tools listed useless.
Other then that it seems you have things OVER covered...or shall i say uber?

I just have them. They're not installed. They are often standalone tools, many of which I found working as a remote tech, and some of them are compressed into my archives (provided they can update themselves or do not need to be updated to function )

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Do I? I thought the opposite. I spent a lot of time ensuring my software setup did not have overlapping function, unless it was justifiably convenient. The listed items are either "portable", or serve a distinct purpose.

What i mean to say is that you have: "The listed items are either "portable", or serve a distinct purpose"
You just do not need those tools as with a proper configured updated OS and sensible computer and browser habits you never will come in the situation that you are going to need those tools in the first place.
See my point?

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
...fickle reply button... don't see a way to delete. ...meh.

What i mean to say is that you have: "The listed items are either "portable", or serve a distinct purpose"
You just do not need those tools as with a proper configured updated OS and sensible computer and browser habits you never will come in the situation that you are going to need those tools in the first place.
See my point?

I don't use them. As far as a virus, per the definition of Geek Squad, when paying their by-the-job techs, I don't recall ever having a virus. I don't get viruses. By Geek Squad's definition (and that's nothing to live by. trust me...) most people probably don't get "viruses". I don't need them, but I have the space for them on a secondary drive, and often have to work on others' computers. See *my* point?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I don't use them. As far as a virus, per the definition of Geek Squad, when paying their by-the-job techs, I don't recall ever having a virus. I don't get viruses. By Geek Squad's definition (and that's nothing to live by. trust me...) most people probably don't get "viruses". I don't need them, but I have the space for them on a secondary drive, and often have to work on others' computers. See *my* point?

I see and yes that's ok, no argue there.
What ever makes you happy is fine by me.

Cheers

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
If I listed my Portable Programs folder contents, I would have basically written you all a novella...

I should stick around to see what the general consensus about Webroot is, though... Such dynamic opinions about that AV, in the tech community.

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
Frankly I did not have any patience to go through your config. Its too much.. Just use MBAM and Hitman pro as on-demand scanners and enable your UAC.

I reiterate, I don't get a lot of malware... The antimalware tools sit idly by, on a 2TB HDD, should I ever need them.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
As far as I could deduce you are running Webroot Complete for real time protection (when you are not using BitDefender), Macrium Reflect for imaging-restoring and some sec-addons on Chrome that are protecting you actively.

All other tools are just sitting in case of infection/disaster, which is fine by me, as far as they are not installed on the machine.
I have a lot (mostly portable) diagnostic/analyzing/removal tools also sitting on my USB in any case, or for repairing someone's computer...

SyntaxTerror

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 28, 2014
I don't think anybody is ever sure. Or they probably shouldn't be.

I don't find this to be an excessive amount of programs. http://1drv.ms/1fmJzZP

As far as I could deduce you are running Webroot Complete for real time protection (when you are not using BitDefender), Macrium Reflect for imaging-restoring and some sec-addons on Chrome that are protecting you actively.

All other tools are just sitting in case of infection/disaster, which is fine by me, as far as they are not installed on the machine.
I have a lot (mostly portable) diagnostic/analyzing/removal tools also sitting on my USB in any case, or for repairing someone's computer...

I do love portable installs. I try to keep my registry and AppData as clean as possible.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
?... i dont get it.
4-28-2014 5-42-24 PM (1).png

Reactions: Venustus

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Quite a Config!!! If it it keeps you clean without any conflicts then it is good.Thanks for sharing your config :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.