Angler EK Exploits Recently Patched Flash Bug to Deliver Bedep(Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The developers of the notorious Angler exploit kit are very good at integrating recently patched or zero-day vulnerabilities. Researchers reported on Monday that the cybercriminals have already added an exploit for a Flash Player flaw fixed by Adobe just two weeks ago.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

According to FireEye, the security bug in question is a memory corruption (CVE-2015-3090) vulnerability discovered and reported by Chris Evans of Google Project Zero. The flaw waspatched by Adobe on May 11 with the release of Flash Player 17.0.0.188.

At the time when it released the update, Adobe didn’t seem to be aware of any attacks in which the vulnerabilities fixed in Flash Player 17.0.0.188 had been exploited. FireEye says it has now notified Adobe and provided the company access to the exploit.

“The exploit for CVE-2015-3090 involves a race condition in the shader class, in which asynchronously modifying the width/height of a shader object while starting a shader job will result in a memory corruption vulnerability. Angler uses this to execute arbitrary code and infect unpatched users’ systems,” FireEye noted in a blog post.

The French security researcher known as Kafeine has confirmed that an exploit for CVE-2015-3090 has been added to Angler. The expert noted that a fileless thread is used to push Bedep malware and an ad fraud module onto infected systems. It’s not uncommon for the Angler exploit kit to deliver Bedep through Flash Player vulnerabilities, including zero-days.

FireEye published on Monday a detailed analysis of this Bedep attack. According to experts, this is a highly active malvertising operation that involves not just Angler, but several other popular exploit kits as well, including RIG, Magnitude, and Nuclear.

Once it’s infected with the Bedep Trojan, a computer silently engages in ad fraud activity, making a high volume of requests to rogue ad networks. These networks eventually take victims to a host designed to redirect them to the exploit kit. The exploit kit then re-infects the system with malware and the process is repeated, FireEye said.

In addition to the fast integration of exploits, Angler made numerous headlines over the past period thanks to its innovative features. The list includes fileless infections, the use ofdomain shadowing to evade detection, and breaking the referer chain in malvertising campaigns to make tracking more difficult.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
How does one protect themselves from such exploit kits and/or ransomware?

One word: Update ;)

Update to the latest version should solve the problem + mouse guide clicks + use adblockers to avoid any accidental pop ups to click.

Reactions: Venustus
K

Kristin

Would disabling flash player in the browser and using an ad blocker be sufficient? A family member uses IE on Windows 8.1, so I've had the Adblock Plus add-on installed for some time now.

I need some guidance on how to protect it, I don't have any form of backup routine at the moment because I don't have enough disks to use Dell's backup utility and I'm working on getting an external HDD. I've heard about disk imaging but I'm too afraid to try it because I don't know whether I would be doing it correctly or that if I should use a free or paid alternative. Hypothetically, what if it did get a nasty piece of malware either by ransomware or an exploit kit and I still didn't have a backup plan, what could be done to fix it? Would I have to get an entirely new HDD? And if it was able to get cleaned up I would wonder if anything was still lurking.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Kristin :

Disabling Flash Player is really a sufficient way where you remove 90% of your possible risk of vulnerabilities from exploits, adblocker is helpful to avoid any pop ups and even malvertising.

But the problem here is, you cannot watch lots of videos in the internet except Youtube where HTML 5 is already enforced and no need to download the program.

If you are infected with ransomware and exploits, highly suggest to use tools for cleaning but recommend to have supervision to the malware removal experts. USB's are cheap at 4GB standard so you can have that and store yoir important files.

Free or paid does the samething as long you have external HDD to place your system image snapshots.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.