Anonymous hacks BART, creating even more innocent victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Thread author
Anonymous have continued their attacks today targeting the website myBART.org part of the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit system. They claim it is in retaliation for a police shooting earlier this summer and the recent mobile phone blackout implemented to prevent organized protests..
Read More

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Website admins, if you are still storing passwords in plain text and haven't examined your web site for SQL injection vulnerabilities, even after the attacks against Sony, I highly recommend doing so. This is not a list you want your site to be added to.

I think it was Lulzsec that stated at one point that they were doing it to make the people aware of how badly their data was secured. (don't hold me up to that)
In that case, they are succeeding. If the result of this whole anon/lulzsec/antisec... thing is that our data will actually be secure for once, then i'l allow some collateral damage.

I

illumination

Thread author
iPanik said:
Website admins, if you are still storing passwords in plain text and haven't examined your web site for SQL injection vulnerabilities, even after the attacks against Sony, I highly recommend doing so. This is not a list you want your site to be added to.

I think it was Lulzsec that stated at one point that they were doing it to make the people aware of how badly their data was secured. (don't hold me up to that)
In that case, they are succeeding. If the result of this whole anon/lulzsec/antisec... thing is that our data will actually be secure for once, then i'l allow some collateral damage.

It seems to me, that after reading all i have on these issues regarding these groups and their attempts, that it is more then merely pointing out security flaws. I for one, have a hard time believing that these "vulnerabilities" have not been known about, and need these type of extreme measures that inflict upon the innocent, in order to be known.. I never allow for collateral damage, when it comes to innocents being the ones damaged!

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
This was a SQL injection attack, one of the oldest tricks in the book and it can be avoided if you actually put a little thought into the coding process. There is absolutely no excuse for neglecting these attacks.
Don't even get me started on storing the passwords in plain text! :butcher:

The fact of the matter is that we have been preaching security for decades, and yet there are still too many sites with these kind of vulnerabilities. So if it takes a group of renegade hackers to get the message across, then so be it.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
SQL injections are unforgivable... but you can just let them know about the vulnerabilities and how to fix them.

I

illumination

Thread author
Hungry Man said:
SQL injections are unforgivable... but you can just let them know about the vulnerabilities and how to fix them.

Exactly the point i was trying to make!

I

illumination

Thread author
If you are a user of myBART.org, I recommend changing your passwords anywhere you might have used the same password. Aside from that, there is little you can do now that your information has been published.

Innocent people have had their information published, how can this even be close to being ethical..

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
hacker and ethic are two words that dont fit together. like thief and honest

I

illumination

Thread author
iPanik said:
This was a SQL injection attack, one of the oldest tricks in the book and it can be avoided if you actually put a little thought into the coding process. There is absolutely no excuse for neglecting these attacks.
Don't even get me started on storing the passwords in plain text! :butcher:

The fact of the matter is that we have been preaching security for decades, and yet there are still too many sites with these kind of vulnerabilities. So if it takes a group of renegade hackers to get the message across, then so be it.

This will be my last post in this thread on this topic, as it boils down to ones perspective of the bigger picture and not just part of the situation. As stated above in the Summary, this attack was supposedly justified in retaliation for a police shooting.. These renegade hackers have stolen and released to the public, innocent victims information. How does hurting these people resolve the issues that these hackers have with the authorities? Well to answer my own question, it will not! My personal opinion of these hackers, is that they are nothing more then cyber bullies, doing these things because they can.. If the real issue were just pointing out security flaws, and or even retaliating against an injustice, it would be directed towards their target and not these innocent victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.