antiviruses - choices

sassha

Thread author
Jan 19, 2015
hello. sorry if I am not posting into a right section, but I have a little concern about antiviruses. I am aware that there isn't a "perfect" antivirus software which could protect your computer 100%, but, in your opinion, in this year, is there an antivirus software which is more reliable than others? in present, I am using MSE. in the past I used only Avira. I have a windows 7 installed since 2011. And I always knew how to manage my pc so there it would be necessary to install an another operating system

D

Deleted member 21043

in your opinion, in this year, is there an antivirus software which is more reliable than others?
I will go for ESET. For better protection from ESET NOD32, I would go for Smart Security. The signatures are great, they are great when it comes to signature detection. However, I recommend configuring the HIPS manually if you use ESET. Still, ESET is one of the best by far, or in my opinion at least.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Good choices above with Avast or Qihoo, except for AVG... IMO, I'd go with Avira being lighter on RAM and a bit stronger signatures as well.

Had issues again trying to use AVG, it keeps getting more heavy on RAM and suspect in performance. Though I like the scans, also easy to read and helpful UI options. No firewall with free version which is understandable, but its heavy enough!

Heaviest on RAM, that I tested out. Even in (2012) McAfee paid w/firewall was lighter.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PC users upgrade their OS to a newer version for different reasons. If you are currently using Windows 7, check and apply any Critical / Important updates via Windows Updates. It's important that you are running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1).

If you wish to upgrade Windows, the latest is Windows 8.1. However, you will need to buy a license and will replace your existing OS - unless you are dual-booting.
In recent news, we heard that Windows 10 (succeeds Winodws 8.1) will be deployed for free to all Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 users, for 1 year. Expect this, late-2015.

If you are happy with using Microsoft Security Essentials, then continue to use it. If you are not, there are a range of free and paid Antivirus software available.

I advise you to create your own Config topic here, http://malwaretips.com/forums/security-configuration-wizard.12/ Before taking recommendations from others.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As members mentioned, these are the full blown AV products that can help to protect not just newer threats but collection also of very old/ common threats.

Microsoft Security Essential is been considered as baseline so it can protect the usual threats from new/old however differ the capabilities it has compare to others.

Guide your clicks both online and offline then nothing will happen worse.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.