App Review Appguard vs Citroni (cryptolocker)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Barb C (Appguard developer) said:
I also wanted to post a link to this video showing how AppGuard stops Critroni virus even in Medium Protection Level. The engineer that made the video wanted to show how AppGuard would stop it even if the malware was digitally signed so he took some liberties to simulate this (since the virus sample he had was not digitally signed). He wanted to show how AppGuard would succeed where a white listing product might fail. So to be clear, as Critroni is today, it is not digitally signed and AppGuard would not even allow it to launch from user-space (and neither would most white-listing programs). But he wanted to emphasize the difference between AppGuard and a white-listing product. Anyway to simulate this, he placed Critroni in C:\Temp (a system space folder) and then added the Critroni program to the Guard List with Privacy On. This simulates what would happen if Critroni was digitally signed and was launched from user-space because AppGuard would allow it to launch, but would Guard it in Privacy Mode. As you can see AppGuard does not let anything in the Private Folder from being encrypted.

source

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
lifetime for all current v4.xx versions (must be renewed for v5)

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Greeting!;)

Can Shadow Defender and SandBoxie do the same?
Or is AppGuard the only that can do this at this time?

Thank you for sharing! Appreciate the information!

Kind regards
,:confused:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
appguard will stop the encryption, SD will let it do but cancel all after reboot, sbie depending your setting will contain or stop it to run

Reactions: THD and Moose

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
:)
"3 MB for GUI and 7 MB for service."

;)
Looking good! Can you find any con's about this AppGuard?
None that I can see! Let me know if you do?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Greeting!;)

Does AppGuard have any kind of conflicts with Shadow Defender?
The reason is that, I am thinking about purchase a Lic.,key for AppGuard.

Your thoughts?:confused:

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Greeting!;)

With AppGuard as part of my security setup,how do I make sure that protected
again Citroni (cryptolocker)? Or is this just build in automatic protection from
AppGuard?

Here is my security setup

> Emsisoft Anti-Malware
> AppGuard
> Shadow Defender on Demand
> Gary Utilities 5

I can use Norman Malware Cleaner one week. With herdProtect a couple time a week!

Kind regards,

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Greeting!;)

With AppGuard as part of my security setup,how do I make sure that protected
again Citroni (cryptolocker)? Or is this just build in automatic protection from
AppGuard?

lockdown mode; nothing can be run without notifying you.

Reactions: Welldone

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Last Question: In the lockdown congif you have for NVT can you run it alongside with WD?
Just keep in mind that NVT ERP at max settings does not always work right in a standard user account.
You can do either ERP at max settings, in an admin account, or ERP at default settings, in standard user account.

Reactions: Rengar

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.