Apple releases iOS 7.0.3 - fixes yet more lockscreen holes, including a call-anybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
ios7-170.png

Soon after iOS 7 came out, a pair of holes in the lockscreen were outed and then quickly fixed in iOS 7.0.2.

It turns out that Apple didn't fix future problems of this sort proactively, because the just-announced iOS 7.0.3 closes three more locked-phone holes.

The three bugs this time deal with similar problems to those patched in 7.0.2:

Another flaw in the emergency call feature, where hitting the call button at a carefully-planned moment lets you call any number, not just 911 or your local equivalent.
A passcode lockout bypass, so that crackers can continue trying passcodes even after the phone decides they've had too many goes and locks them out.
Access to the Contacts pane even when the phone is locked

The flip side of that, if it's true, is that iOS 7.0.3 ought to be uncontroversial, due to making only modest code changes inside the operating system.

In other words, if you are keen on security, you may as well make sure you grab this update as soon as you can, if your phone hasn't done it for you already.

Read More

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The more you allow for the lock screen to do, the more potential vulnerabilities you'll expose. That's why my Lock Screen on my WP has nothing displayed. Everything is kept private, unless the phone is unlocked - I'm not saying the L/s on WP isn't vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.