Aries91 Configuration (updated october 2016)

Last updated
Dec 31, 1969
Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Emsisoft Internet Security 11, hitman pro alert. voodooshield free
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes antimalware,hitman pro, windows defender limited periodic scanning
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome stable,HTTPS everywhere,onetab,bitdefender trafficlight,download accelerator plus
Maintenance tools
click and clean,ccleaner,wise portable
File and Photo backup
File History in Windows
System recovery
Windows Default

MisterToto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Aren't all Antivirus "Light and Good detection". Is there nothing extra special about those you recommended? Are there any features that outshine the rest, or how you don't need to configure the program, etc.?
All av are not light and he was searching for a free light program. Panda is a install and forget program, Fortinet can allow you to play with settings and has a vpn too

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Now that my coffee has accomplished it's Divine Purpose, & I feel smarter & more consciously aware, I should have also related how Avast! (The Premier Edition Suite) is a well deserved favorite because of it's superior web filtering which has reminded me on a few occasions the malicious nature of sites I then thought better of visiting. The "Hardened Mode" set at medium was another nice feature which did not allow execution of changes without user approval/white listing (as UAC, but not annoying in the least) and most impressive was it's seamless operation which felt very light on 8.1!:):) I'd opted out of their Firewall which some prefer to enhance with WFC with which Avast!'s firewall was not compatible (..last I'd read).
Norton's scans feel quite quick, @aries91, which I think you would like!
I'll be entering our Giveaway, you can too!;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I remember that when I had windows 8.1,windows defender took too much ram and cpu usage during the scan, also it was very slow in the scan and in the removal.
sometimes it couldn't remove some malware.
For these reasons I switched to third part antivirus.
what do you think about these problems?

Well its not totally an issue for your system, that's from behaviour of WD itself which still happen way back on MSE. Removal of viruses varies on how nasty it was which why a must properly disinfect as possible.

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
so I have only to decided if get a free antivirus among panda,avira,avast, avetix,avg and a paid antivirus (gdata,trendmicro,kaspersky and bitdefender).
I don't like slow antivirus (slow in the scan and in the removal) and for this at this time I don't choose defender.
anyone can tell me which of these av (1 free and 1 pro) is the better for your experience?
thanks

Reactions: Logethica

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@aries91 dont get too worried about building your solid security PC. As @jamescv7 mentioned, ESET and Emsisoft are good standards for protection and lightness. There are tons of threads in this forum quarrelling for the best ones. In all the terms as per of the users experience, ESET, Kaspersky & Emsisoft are the winners here. Most of them are not fan oriented decision, its their own experience over the AV products. With all this there is another Beast in the market called NORTON, which is said to be a legend in terms of protection. The person who can tell you more about it is @Nico@FMA and @Umbra . And If you still have confusions on choosing one, I would recommend you reading [MUST READ] Guidelines to have a decent and safe security configuration so that you could decide yourself wisely.

My Recommendations:

Free:
Windows Defender + EMET + Hitman Pro / MBAM

Paid:
  1. Kaspersky IS / AV
  2. ESET SS / NOD 32
  3. Norton Security
  4. Emsisoft AM/IS

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
Consider ESET or Emsisoft for paid and for free try like Qihoo 360.
I'm considering emsisoft cuz I read i could get a discount of 25% for a renew.
qihoo is a chinese product and I don't trust it,especially because I read some bad thing about it's cheats in the comparatives review.
Eset is too expensive.

@aries91 dont get too worried about building your solid security PC. As @jamescv7 mentioned, ESET and Emsisoft are good standards for protection and lightness. There are tons of threads in this forum quarrelling for the best ones. In all the terms as per of the users experience, ESET, Kaspersky & Emsisoft are the winners here. Most of them are not fan oriented decision, its their own experience over the AV products. With all this there is another Beast in the market called NORTON, which is said to be a legend in terms of protection. The person who can tell you more about it is @Nico@FMA and @Umbra . And If you still have confusions on choosing one, I would recommend you reading [MUST READ] Guidelines to have a decent and safe security configuration so that you could decide yourself wisely.

My Recommendations:

Free:
Windows Defender + EMET + Hitman Pro / MBAM

Paid:
  1. Kaspersky IS / AV
  2. ESET SS / NOD 32
  3. Norton Security
  4. Emsisoft AM/IS

I don't like emet,because in any new update I have some issue with internet explorer or some other program.
I tried kaspersky on a virtualmachine and It seems too heavy on system resources.
Norton is a good choice,but I have to shop 3 licence and I can't find an offer for 3 licence of norton.
Gdata and Emsisoft for the paid av.
Avast,Avetix and Avira for the free one.

Hope windows fix soon windows defender to be less heavy and faster during the scan.
In this way I can use only WD.

Last edited:

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
just found a deal of eset32.
it normally cost about 54€ +22% of taxes (1 pc 1 year)
I found a licence(3 pc 3 years) at 33 €.

I read Gdata is good for the detenction but poor for removal capacity and detection of 0-day.
Nod32 gets less detection but has a good removal capacity and a good detection of 0-day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica
H

hjlbx

Windows Defender, ignore the baseline scores in AV Testing reports, what do you think about this for basic Antivirus protection?
Remember, Windows 10 has increased it's Windows Defender protection capabilities, than compared to all previous versions.

Real-time Protection: Windows Defender & Firewall
Browser Protection: HitmanPro Alert, Bitdefender Trafficlight
On-demand: HitmanPro, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

Optional: Unchecky (prevents the installation of bundleware; adware and other potentially unwanted software)

Consider the above before bogging down your system with unnecessary Free Antivirus software by other vendors. Some cause more issues that what it's actually worth, for example, many Free Antivirus are limited, or promote their paid versions through notifications or messages centres.

++++ 1

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
added :"windows defender limited periodic scanning" as on demand scanner
removed: superantyspyware free, adguard ,poperblocker.
added: windows file history as data backup manager.

I think I can't do better.
in this way I haven't too many security programs on the boot and my system is light and protected I think.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No problem, you may add Voodoshield or SecureAplus if you think the setup maybe inadequate for other matters. ;)

As long you can handle, it is not a problem.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.