Ash's PC Config

Ashwin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
I never download applications from questionable sources, and always scan flash drives and external HDDs before using them. So I have pretty much been Malware-free for years.

Using ESET SmartSecurity 8 now :)

Edit 2:

Using Kaspersy Internet Security 2016 on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks, Ash.:) Your configuration is like looking at a reflection of our own Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 systems' extensions, & XP w/Privatefirewall ...only (somehow) yours looks better!:cool: ..and using 'Portable apps', what a great practice!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent and Ashwin

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
You've very good security configuration and maintaining a good practice of not downloading anything form warez sites.

Reactions: Ashwin

Ashwin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks, Ash.:) Your configuration is like looking at a reflection of own our Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 systems ...only (somehow) it looks even better!:cool: ..and 'Portable apps', what a great practice!:D

Thanks. And good to know you have a similar config. :)

Portable apps are great if you have to re-install/format Windows. No registry entries + all my settings and data are intact, and a copy of the apps are on my external drive, just in case.

@sid_16 Thanks. More than 75% of the apps I use are free or open-source. Sometimes I get review licenses too. And I won a few software from giveaways, and paid for some including, Windows XP,7 and 8. I regret buying 8, wasted the money on two copies. But I got them at the discounted price last year, so I won't rant about it much.

The free version of Avast has been amazing for the past few years. I wrote a review about "Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.594 " at the Avinashtech forums a few years back. But I wanted to experiment on other products, so I skipped the next version and went on to buy 3 user Kaspersky subscriptions, which I shared with a relative. This went on for 2 years, then I returned to using Avast. Low on resources, good security and free. Can't beat that ;)

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
Just a thing about Avast, this weekend, a friend was complaining about his computer running slow and rebooting itself, I installed EEK and it found 22 trojans and an hundred of undesirable objects .. he had an updated Avast installed on his computer.

So Avast is light but too much light :p

Reactions: Kent

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'd lost my Zemana Anti-logger on Windows 8.1 after I'd refreshed my system which was not compatible (at that time) with BitDefender AV Free. This has since been fixed by BD, & Zemana remains installed on our other Windows 7 & XP. I've somewhat slower start-ups on XP, so looking more closely at this might benefit everyone reading this. Thanks @Huracan!:)

Edit:
I haven't experienced crashes with Firefox in a long time, but thanks or the info about Cyberfox. I'll check it out.
I recommend their portable version with updates extracted directly over the previous!:D

*Note, I'm not sure if they have x86 as I've only used x64 bit. (strike that, I just remembered seeing you've 64 bit architecture now!):oops:oops.:p Another alternative portable browser is Pale Moon

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent and Ashwin

Ashwin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
Just a thing about Avast, this weekend, a friend was complaining about his computer running slow and rebooting itself, I installed EEK and it found 22 trojans and an hundred of undesirable objects .. he had an updated Avast installed on his computer.

So Avast is light but too much light :p

Never had issues with Avast, but then again it is difficult for malware to get through my PC's arsenal. How did your friend manage to get his computer infected so badly? PUPs? Infected flash drives?

@Huracan @Cats-4_Owners-2 I agree with that, Zemana is slow to start-up. I used to have Keyscrambler, prior to using Zemana, and it was terrible. It kept messing up whatever I typed during chats, and emails. That's why I switched to ZA. No I find myself asking, is it worth keeping or should I switch to SpyShelter. Not sure if it has improved since the last time I used it though.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you trust the software on your PC, then really what is the need for Zemana? Luckily SpyShelter is free on Windows 32-bit to try out, though PrivateFirewall should provide adequate protection with it's IDS.

Ashwin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
If you trust the software on your PC, then really what is the need for Zemana? Luckily SpyShelter is free on Windows 32-bit to try out, though PrivateFirewall should provide adequate protection with it's IDS.

I do have a lifetime license for SpyShelter Premium. Maybe I'll give it a shot later this week. I may need to diagnose the system's performance by uninstalling some apps, because my PC crashed today for no reason. I just had Windows Live Writer and FireFox running, and when I tried to awake the PC from sleep mode, it wouldn't. Realizing that it had crashed, I tried a hard reset.

It would just boot to Startup repair and after a while, prompt me if I wanted to try a System Restore. But it was to no avail, and after a few failed repair attempts, I decided to try booting into other modes, like LGKC (Last Known Good Configuration) and Safe Mode. Luckily LKGC worked fine, and I was able to boot up and backed up a fresh copy of the System Image on to my External Drive, and burnt a System Repair disc on to a dvd. Phew!

Unfortunately there were no system dumps to analyze the issue. Just my luck. :-/

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent and Ink

Ashwin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
My updated list :)

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro. Will be setting up dual boot with Windows 10 Technical Preview soon.

Architecture: 64-bit (x64)

Computer Knowledge: Advanced

Last known malware infection: More than a year ago

VM Malware Testing:No
Number of users for this PC: Other people are also using this machine (Shared)
User Account Control settings: Always notify
Real-Time Protection:
Emsisoft Anti Malware Pro
WinPatrol Plus

On-demand Scanners:
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Privacy software:
Sandboxie

Backup and Recovery:
Windows Backup, the image is stored on my Western Digital Passport.

Web Browser(s):
Mozilla Firefox

Extensions and Plugins:
Adblock Plus, AdMuncher, WOT, No-script, LastPass.

Any other software:
Most of the apps I use are portable ones. Installed software include CCleaner, Google Drive , DropBox, Revo Uninstaller Pro

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Ashwin You can now update your thread using the Thread Tools > Edit thread
upload_2014-10-23_14-40-25.png

Did you mean Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Internet Security? There is no Pro version.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
I do have a lifetime license for SpyShelter Premium. Maybe I'll give it a shot later this week. I may need to diagnose the system's performance by uninstalling some apps, because my PC crashed today for no reason. I just had Windows Live Writer and FireFox running, and when I tried to awake the PC from sleep mode, it wouldn't. Realizing that it had crashed, I tried a hard reset.

It would just boot to Startup repair and after a while, prompt me if I wanted to try a System Restore. But it was to no avail, and after a few failed repair attempts, I decided to try booting into other modes, like LGKC (Last Known Good Configuration) and Safe Mode. Luckily LKGC worked fine, and I was able to boot up and backed up a fresh copy of the System Image on to my External Drive, and burnt a System Repair disc on to a dvd. Phew!

Unfortunately there were no system dumps to analyze the issue. Just my luck. :-/
Solid configuration! I use Zemana Antilogger too :) Regarding the crash;I want to share my experience.When running Firefox my Win7 Pc crashed 3-5 times till date :(
I got hardware failure error.My video card is up to date and latest games are supported.Looks like something is amiss with firefox :confused: .You should try Cyberfox (x86).
It is updated regularly and is tweaked for power users :p
https://8pecxstudios.com/cyberfox-web-browser-x32bit
Regards,
Kent :)

Ashwin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 16, 2014
Solid configuration! I use Zemana Antilogger too :) Regarding the crash;I want to share my experience.When running Firefox my Win7 Pc crashed 3-5 times till date :(
I got hardware failure error.My video card is up to date and latest games are supported.Looks like something is amiss with firefox :confused: .You should try Cyberfox (x86).
It is updated regularly and is tweaked for power users :p
https://8pecxstudios.com/cyberfox-web-browser-x32bit
Regards,
Kent :)

I haven't experienced crashes with Firefox in a long time, but thanks or the info about Cyberfox. I'll check it out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.