Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Ashampoo_Snap_2014_12_05_22h07m08s_001.jpg

Ratings
We allowed certain negligible/unimportant traces to be left behind, mainly because a perfect score
can’t be reached due to the behaviour/system-modifications made by some of the malware samples
used. The “removal of malware” and “removal of remnants” are combined into one dimension and we
took into consideration also the convenience. The ratings are given as follows:
a) Removal of malware/traces
• Malware removed, only negligible traces left (A)
• Malware removed, but some executable files, MBR and/or registry changes (e.g. loading
points, etc.) remaining (B)
• Malware removed, but annoying or potentially dangerous problems (e.g. error messages,
compromised hosts file, disabled task manager, disabled folder options, disabled registry
editor, detection loop, etc.) remaining (C)
• Only the malware dropper has been neutralized and/or most other dropped malicious
files/changes were not removed, or system is no longer normally usable; dropped
malicious files are still on the system; removal failed (D)
b) Convenience:
• Removal could be done in normal mode (A)
• Removal requires booting in Safe Mode or other built-in utilities and manual actions (B)
• Removal requires Rescue Disk (C)
• Removal or install requires contacting support or similar; removal failed (D)
Award system
The following award/scoring system has been used:
AA = 100
AB = 90
AC = 80
BA = 70
BB = 60
BC = 50
CA = 40
CB = 30
CC = 20
DD = 0
Ashampoo_Snap_2014_12_05_22h12m39s_002.jpg

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/avc_rem_201411_en.pdf

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Sample 30 (ed5e): This sample is a widespread trojan horse, which locks the screen.

Ashampoo_Snap_2014_12_05_22h28m26s_003.jpg

Only the malware dropper has been neutralized and/or most other dropped malicious
Removal or install requires contacting support or similar; removal failed (D)

Kaspersky and Bitdefender Advanced+?

money1.gif

Great test:D

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Sample 30 (ed5e): This sample is a widespread trojan horse, which locks the screen.

Only the malware dropper has been neutralized and/or most other dropped malicious
Removal or install requires contacting support or similar; removal failed (D)

Kaspersky and Bitdefender Advanced+?

Great test:D

But you should know one thing , Kaspersky use trick for protect users from Screen Locks [ Manually first then KIS complete ]

2014-12-05_22h52_51.png

2014-12-05_22h52_37.png

If the screen lock , just press [ CTRL+ALT+SGIFT+F4 ] , Kaspersky will kill the process .

So that Kaspersky fail here .
thank you for good tip .

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
If money were so important, Symantec would have aced the static file detection test and thus wouldn't have had any reason to no longer participate at AV-C, because they have the most money of all. I wonder why people here feel so free to openly accuse AV-C of a criminal conspiracy. Does it not violate criminals laws or can't you be held accountable in civil court where you come from? I guess most people are just lucky their behavior goes simply unnoticed.

No offense, people, but please back your accusations with proof.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Lets just say that some results from many of these AV reports are a bit $uspect. Not really accusations but more like speculations based on the fact that money is the driving force by most who are involved in the AV & Security industry.I think this would include testing laboratories. I am not saying they are altering the results but everyone wants a piece of the pie,if you will. They make for a good reference but I will rely on my own trials.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Let me explain myself better, if the malware was not removed then the product fail and they should not receive any award. That is why I say the tests are suspicious, I don't think you want a product that doesn't remove the malware but it always gets awards.

Reactions: Ali80 and tonibalas

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@OpenSecLabs You may be able to find those sorts of tests on YouTube, where a sample similar to #30 is run first, causing an "instant fail".
AV-C is a combination of 30 total samples, not a handful like YouTube reviews.

Reactions: Ali80 and tonibalas

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
@Huracan I think this way because in real life this is how things work. You also have a point, this is how I also test, how I think it is fair :)

Reactions: Ali80

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Honestly I don't think that money is a driving force for editing the lab results. If that was the case, it would have been reported in some form or another. Every company has to pay a certain amount to get their product tested. But the claims that the vendor that gives the highest cash is going to get a better result is false. Because if this was already a fact, then other vendors would have a problem with that and they would have known better.

Comparing AV-C results with your own results and justifying or concluding AV-C is manipulating results is wrong. Note that they use different samples, different AV configuration, different parameters, etc during their testing procedures. The results that are hence being published reflects that.

Reactions: Ali80

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I will buy into the conspiracy theory when microsoft tops the poll otherwise it`s good to see AVG and Panda doing well.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: Ali80 and Kate_L
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.