AV detected Trojan in Adwcleaner

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
My AV (Norton 360) detected a Trojan in Adwcleaner, seems peculiar since this is a cleaning tool. Thought I'd just bring it to your attention. It was named Trojan.Gen.SMH
Has since been removed, been a nightmare the last few weeks but think I have finally cleaned my system up... :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
It happens all the time. Tools like AdwCleaner, JRT, MiniToolBox, etc. are constantly updated and detected by Antivirus as malware, as their behavior could be seen as malicious, even too they do the total opposite. Just submit it to Norton as a False Positive and it will be fixed soon. Nothing to worry about, as long as these tools are released by their original developper, they are safe to use.

Reactions: Malware1

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
This is happening from time to time with these tools.

OTL and others are also often marked as malicious. Avast is a good example for this.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
This is happening from time to time with these tools.

OTL and others are also often marked as malicious. Avast is a good example for this.

avast! detects them all day, every day. They take some sort of pleasure in detecting these tools, way more than the other Antiviruses. But seeing how these tools works, what they do, etc., it's understandable.

Reactions: ElectricSheep

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Norton detects AdwCleaner a virus and AdwCleaner detects Baidu as virus, first is a FP, the second i think it's true.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.