Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
After in-depth investigations, certain optimizations have been identified in Tencent products which are clearly designed to improve their ratings in AV-TEST's performance testing. These optimizations, which have been found in all recent public versions of the products, provide minimal benefit to normal users and could even degrade the level of protection offered by the products.

All three testing labs involved in these investigations - AV-TEST, AV-Comparatives and Virus Bulletin - expect participants in their tests to behave in an open and ethical manner at all times, and consider this sort of "gaming" of tests to be unhelpful to both developers and users. The labs will be imposing stricter controls on participants to reduce opportunities for such actions, and will revoke all affected certifications and awards granted so far in 2015.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
These optimizations, which have been found in all recent public versions of the products, provide minimal benefit to normal users and could even degrade the level of protection offered by the products.
Sounds like a contradiction in terms. Makes no sense.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Oh, not another one !

Wouldn`t that give a worse overall result for Tencent ?

Regards Eck:)
The results were removed unfortunately but I think their results were pretty "mediocre" about 96% or something.
Also AV-Test said that they could degrade the level of protection, so maybe even with those settings they didn't.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
That's the part I can't wrap my head around.

Ditto, surely it should be the other way around, unless Tencent got penalised for deliberately "down"tweeking their program even though it was going to give them a lesser result ?:confused:

My head is starting to hurt.:(

Regards Eck:)

Last edited:
Reactions: aztony

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Here's the problem as always, money and money; companies are not always thinking many times to check its reputation before allowing any agreement for borrowing a license engine.

Tencent = Avira + In-house Engine; oh well even though they can do it many times; at the end of the day, the one who failed with honor will prevail. ;)

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

These Av-tests company are so funny....only mess with some users minds.

For me are only 4 antivirus that count: Avast,ESET,Kaspersky,Dr. Web.

WHY? For thier to ability process large amounts of data, for thier ability to track malware and develop quick response for it, for thier ability to remove malware, for thier experience in these industry. I trust these companies, i use thier products.
More and more companies trend to provide sophisticated fake service giving a false sense of security and take first place in av-funny tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.