Battle Avast 6 free antivirus vs Microsoft Security Essentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy

Thread author
Feb 27, 2011
I would go with Avast free antivirus due to all it's features and I think it eats less RAM this Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft Security Essentials is really just an antivirus with nothing added in my opinion.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
You're talking about Microsoft, you know that, don't you? They have the possibility to create much more then tiny RAM hungry MSE. I don't have anything against the program or the company but comparing it to Avast they can't win, yet. Anything is possible..

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast 6 have lots of features especially the implementing of sandbox for running suspicious files in virtual.

MSE have a simple interface, and provides good protection on users.

If i need to choose i will go to Avast.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
My problem with MSE and installing it on customers pc's is that it involves user interaction. The more user interaction there is the higher the chances of getting infected are. Sure MSE may find a threat but if you don't click "recommended action" your toast. Yes I know you can change that but I always speak in the default status of any product. MSE is also a ram hog. Most cases I have seen MSE is using 60MB..............My vote goes for Avast. MSE is good but not good enough to stand on its own.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
RAM hog indeed, but I have to admit I don't notice any slowdowns while using it. Another issue is the self protection, at-least under the default admin account.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Slow downs are usually caused by excessive disk writing and cpu usage. But I get customers with 512Mb or ram up to 1GB. MSE swallows up there systems. Heck I installed MSE on this one computer and after rebooting I could not even use the mouse cause MSE was eating everything.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Lets not forget that MSE is young and has a long way to go before could say it's mature. Avast on the other hand is a veteran so it's quite obvious that Avast it's better; it has experience and mature enough.

G

Guest28

MSE was once ahead of all the products in it's beta 1.0 stage i remember going to malwaredomainlist and it detecting everything i put past it. I wish MSE would add more protection features but this is not likely at all. MSE is to be noob friendly sandboxing and file reputation looks out of the question for now. We will see what MSE 3.0 brings.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i'm choose avast 6 free :)
for more better protect i'm combine it with comodo FW, i'm doing that after my NIS trial end :)
hmm
for MSE.. i not like bcoz slow down scan system and not powerful
*that is just my opinion.. ^^

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I choose Avast Free 6, Its gotta be the most feature packed free antivirus available today, Plus its light on RAM and scans much faster than MSE, I lost hope with MSE mainly for it to be very much lacking everything, :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yet Microsoft offers basic protection which compared to Avast that's more protection and its like same from the paid of avast.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I used both but I am not using neither one now. I prefer MSE over
Avast for no reason in particular. Avast never gave me any trouble
but for some reason I got bored of using it after 4 months. MSE 1
was perfect on my XP SP3 system but when version2 came out, I
started experiencing CPU surges too often, that's why I am not
using it now.
After MSE 2, I stopped using AV real time.

Bo

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I tested both Avast and MSE this week, I felt no slowdowns with MSE but after seeing its RAM usage at idle, It was terrible for a standalone AV, The RAM usage during scans are really high too so that was a big down for me, The scan speed of MSE is pretty slow too even if I have just 9.9 GB of Data in here, Full scan took 20 minutes, My Experience with Avast is that, even though it has multiple shields (I install all shields), I feel no performance impact with it, even if its scanning, So my choice will still be Avast but MSE is still a good choice, :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.