Avast Could not Stop the Installation Process Although it was Found as a Malware!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyniks

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
I ve just installed the latest version of Avast Free.
It found a PUP on my Downloads....I did not delet it on manual scan
I let the PUP be installed....Avast Warned it is a "potentially Unwanted Program",but it did not terminate the installation!!!
During the setup,other PUP was detected by Avast....

I think it s not a good management.....When a file is detected as any kind of malware,it should be blocked on execution

Capture.PNG

The PUP URL:
Code:
hxxp://download.cdn.torchbrowser.com/cdn/r/275/TorchSetup-r275-n-bf.exe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kiric96

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Not very sure what you mean, if avast detects it on a manual scan then it should also detect it when you run it. However if you are running an installer that is not detected by avast signatures and the installer downloads adware from the servers that avast recognizes then it will stop that particular adware but not necessarily the entire installer.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

phyniks

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
The installer is detected ....
Capture.PNG

It is also detected on execution but the installation is not terminated

Capture2.PNG

The installation continutes,,it downloads some files,Another PUP was detected during the download process
Capture3.PNG

Again It continues to download

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

I terminated the process using Task Manager

:cool::cool::cool:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In other words its considered to be 'partial blocking', normally Avast and other products are tends to detect any malicious as possible without deleting the whole contents.

except in compressed files if a settings is available to delete everything.

phyniks

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
Looks like torch had a payload.

AutoSandbox anyone?

Suggestion: Do a Boot Scan if you haven't done it yet

No sandboxing

I removed the files....I just want to describe the mismanagement

In other words its considered to be 'partial blocking', normally Avast and other products are tends to detect any malicious as possible without deleting the whole contents.

except in compressed files if a settings is available to delete everything.

I m not sure avast has done the job well

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
As you can see, the files detected are the uninstaller and the starter.exe, these are payloads of the original torch installer that was NOT detected during the scan (the scan detected the uninstaller), it's no surprise that avast did not block the installer here because it only quarantines the files it deems as adware and won't kill clean processes. Take for example if you are downloading a java update and it contains the Ask toolbar as well, it will block the Ask toolbar but not the Java and I'm almost certain that you won't want it to terminate Java either right? :p

phyniks

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
But there were downloaded in the "Temp"

Why avast has let the PUPs being downloaded?

Manual scanning shows there are some PUPs(according to avast) which has been downloaded during the set up and avast did not block them

The file named "starter.exe" is a PUP according to Avast.Avast warned that they have been quarantined....but they were there in the Temp

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
But there were downloaded in the "Temp"

Why avast has let the PUPs being downloaded?

Manual scanning shows there are some PUPs(according to avast) which has been downloaded during the set up and avast did not block them

The file named "starter.exe" is a PUP according to Avast.Avast warned that they have been quarantined....but they were there in the Temp

Hello @phyniks, I've also noticed occasions when files have been downloaded instead to 'Temp' rather than the usual 'downloads' file. Most recently this occurred with Sandboxie's latest upgrade that was unusually automated, yet users were also alerted of this. When this has occurred, even with legitimate downloads, it has impressed a concern to me for the very reasons illustrated here, and the installer mentioned which slipped by before being noticed.

Last edited:

phyniks

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
Hello @phyniks, I've also noticed occasions when files have been downloaded instead to 'Temp' rather than the usual 'downloads' file. Most recently this occurred with Sandboxie's latest upgrade that was unusually automated, yet which users were also alerted. When this has occurred, even with legitimate downloads, it has impressed a concern to me for the very reasons illustrated here, and the installer mentioned which slipped by before being noticed.

Thanks for the reply
I think Avast should monitor every file coming to the system....I m not using Sandboxi
Avast poped that the file has been detected and quarantined
But,In real world,it was not

I hope some Avast users test the process...
Download the "Torch" file,dont let Avast catch it on download(disable Avast when downloading)

Then enable avast, Run the PUP and tell us about the result....
Also scan the User/AppData/Local/Temp at the end
Thanks

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually you are not infected on that case, installer common drop points are from temporary files directory either in Appdata or Roaming now that technique made by Avast as I said is totally standard to avoid any accidents to kill the overall program.

Installer like in adware sometimes its not been detected by AV is because they prefer to analyze the behavior rather than flag without checking it.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This certainly places the greater responsibility with us, the users, as with User Activated Control in which we must all be more wary of what may be downloaded to, or from, our temp files & allowed to be :eek:installed!:oops:

Reactions: phyniks
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.