App Review Avast free antivirus 2014 test - (Cyber Review)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
G

Guest28

Wow....... not one alert from avast's Deepscreen what does that tell you??? Looks like DynaGen and Deepscreen are another let down just like the Behavioral shield. I still like avast but they need to work on a few things. I got no Deepscreen alerts in any of my testing as well.

G

Guest28

I am getting more and more turned off by avast. Post #305. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=354637&page=13

RejZoR
user_offline.gif

Polymorphic Sheep

icon1.gif
Re: Avast 2014 Released
On one hand i'm impressed by what avast! is offering for free, but then again i'm slightly disappointed, because they don't fully utilize its potential.

Lack of seeing DeepScreen active more often and still not ready DynaGen makes it a bit worse than it could be. We had great hopes for it, but avast! has a (in a way) nasty habit of adding functions that aren't actually functioning from the get go, but they always need few months to mature.

It was this way with Network Shield, with Auto Sandbox, the mentioned Evo-Gen also took quite a while to become reality, now DeepScreen and DynaGen. The main problem with this is that they create the hype and there aren't (yet) the expected results. Only part which totally disappointed me was Behavior Shield, which was never what we hoped it would be (behavior blocker).

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Avast looked good. Sandboxie is nothing that anyone ever tests, but I too would like to see it. Preferably against Cryptolocker (all variants).

Last edited:

sunil22

Level 1
Verified
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks a lot for the test right now having the Avast internet security and really protecting the PC fully with other mates like Hitman pro Anti malware and EMET . Thanks Avast for keeping our virtual world safe :)

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Avast sadly suffers from the over-hype which the avast company give it.Great program but i dont think its at its full potential yet and the problem is that users are too impatient and expect too much from it when it hasnt fully matured yet.

In a couple of major updates we may see an improvement in avast,but lets wait and see.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Avast sadly suffers from the over-hype which the avast company give it.Great program but i dont think its at its full potential yet and the problem is that users are too impatient and expect too much from it when it hasnt fully matured yet.

In a couple of major updates we may see an improvement in avast,but lets wait and see.
ALWIL the company that is Avast wrote the 1st antivirus program for Win 95 in 1995. Released its 1st free AV in 2001. And it has yet to fully mature?
http://www.avast.com/about

Last edited:

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Please browse their forum and you will discover there are users with countless issues.The deepscreen basically does not even work.The zero day protection offered by avast is not up to scratch..

So yes...avast does indeed need time to mature.

Happy new year.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Please browse their forum and you will discover there are users with countless issues.The deepscreen basically does not even work.The zero day protection offered by avast is not up to scratch..

So yes...avast does indeed need time to mature.

Happy new year.
Happy New year to you was well. I have a different take on the issue. Maturity is the least of their problems. The new technologies such as Deepscreen and Evo-gen that Avast has incorporated into the latest version with much fanfare and hype is proving to be a black eye because their current development was obviously not ready for prime time. A fact that was even acknowledged by VLK on Wilders in response to questions about issues found the Beta and the RC releases. Yet despite knowing that they opted to have them in the final anyway, where they hoped to fix things on the fly. That action is reminiscent of the many issues they've had with every version release since version 5 (the last trouble-free version IMO). They rush new versions out that are clearly not final ready and then have to scramble in the subsequent weeks and months to get a stable, relatively trouble-free product.

Reactions: Amiga500

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Wow....... not one alert from avast's Deepscreen what does that tell you??? Looks like DynaGen and Deepscreen are another let down just like the Behavioral shield. I still like avast but they need to work on a few things. I got no Deepscreen alerts in any of my testing as well.
The same for me too! I did some testing recently with aggresive hardened mode, and it did not react, except from a few times between 2-3 testing sessions.
It's a pity this av is that buggy, I maybe switch to Avira for free protection as it is less buggy and lighter on the system.

sunil22

Level 1
Verified
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks mate right now having the Avast internet security 2014 full paid version and really protecting the PC fully with other mates like Hitman pro Anti malware2 paid version Crypto Prevent and herdProtectScanner. WOT and few other safety add on :)

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks mate right now having the Avast internet security 2014 full paid version and really protecting the PC fully with other mates like Hitman pro Anti malware2 paid version Crypto Prevent and herdProtectScanner. WOT and few other safety add on :)
Do you have a high-end system? This setup seems a bit heavy to me.

Reactions: sunil22

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Not to high but a bit high and all works perfectly with out hindering the smooth run of the PC :)
Example,
Try launching Google Chrome in this PC (desktop mode), and see that Avast causes a delay which is a lot shorter when using windows defender/MSE, avira, eset or even KIS 2014. At least for these 4 PC's at my home, things are like that.
I loved Avast and it was my main AV for many years but I just switched to Avira somedays ago...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.