Battle Avast Free or 360 TSE (Config Mentioned)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Avast Free---

Custom Install---

File Shield
Web Shield - HTTPS disabled
PUP enabled
Rest default settings
Popups/Ads disabled (AvastUI.exe outbound connection blocked in Win FW to avoid popups/ads)

360 TSE---

Custom Mode---

Bd enabled (Realtime/Ondemand)
File Protection disabled
Registry Protection disabled
{File protection & Registry protection are HIPS features i.e all those creating/modifying this/that popups. And I dont want HIPS features so disabled}
Rest default settings

Avast Free or 360 TSE?

Plzz suggest only on the basis of protection with the above mentioned config of the products.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
The downside of 360 Total Security is the false positive. If false positives are not an issue go 360 Total Security else go Avast Free.
If you go with Avast, you should set HIPS on level 3. Also, make sure you have and use "secure virtual machines".

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Hello,
You shouldn't disable hips fonction, detection with signature is good but proactive protection is just better x100.
Both are good, but i think avast is a little lighter.
I dont want HIPS features so disabled.

And it has an option "Malicious Behavior Blocking"...this seems their behavior blocker for proactive protection.

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
The downside of 360 Total Security is the false positive. If false positives are not an issue go 360 Total Security else go Avast Free.
If you go with Avast, you should set HIPS on level 3. Also, make sure you have and use "secure virtual machines".
As per some users reply on my other thread...they dont see much FPs now from 360.

Lets see how it goes for me in terms of FPs if I try it.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Both of them are really. However, i would choose Qihoo 360 over Avast because of Bitdefender engine and Avira engine.
So as per you I should enable both Avira/Bd?
What you suggest if I would like to use any 1?

I think using both will not increase protection much...just little difference, what you say?
Using any 1 is required for offline protection.

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
So as per you I should enable both Avira/Bd?
What you suggest if I would like to use any 1?

I think using both will not increase protection much...just little difference, what you say?
Using any 1 is required for offline protection.

That's optional if you want to enable BD + Avira, but for me i think enable Avira is enough since Avira is known for signature class dinosaur. However, if you are going offline often then i suggest you enable either BD or Avira since Qihoo 360 engine only work when internet is access. That's why they only enable their cloud engine for good performance at default.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
That's optional if you want to enable BD + Avira, but for me i think enable Avira is enough since Avira is known for signature class dinosaur. However, if you are going offline often then i suggest you enable either BD or Avira since Qihoo 360 engine only work when internet is access. That's why they only enable their cloud engine for good performance at default.
By default they provide Bd with their offline full installer. Dont you think there must be a reason or they may be using a better Bd than Avira so by default they provide Bd with their offline full installer?

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
By default they provide Bd with their offline full installer. Dont you think there must be a reason or they may be using a better Bd than Avira so by default they provide Bd with their offline full installer?

I believe there's a reason why they do that, but i know a fact that they disable BD and Avira real time protection.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I believe there's a reason why they do that, but i know a fact that they disable BD and Avira real time protection.
Yes, there must be a reason...I read that in their Chinese 360 AV too by default they provide Bd.

What do you mean by the bold above?
Do you mean if I install offline full installer that has Bd...By default Bd realtime will come disabled & to use Bd realtime I will have to manually enable Bd realtime?

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Yes, there must be a reason...I read that in their Chinese 360 AV too by default they provide Bd.

What do you mean by the bold above?
Do you mean if I install offline full installer that has Bd...By default Bd realtime will come disabled & to use Bd realtime I will have to manually enable Bd realtime?

You have to manual enable BD engine if you want to use BD as a real time protection and scanning.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
You mean Avast secure virtual machine i.e Avast NG that was later named Avast secure virtual machine or something?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Ok...finally I have installed 360TSE with the mentioned config in my opening post. And I have enabled "scan files when opened".

360 engines only - It was around 25-35MB.
Bd enabled - It is around 200-215MB.

Tested with AMTSO. Things seems fine.
But it is buggy. Crashed 3 times here testing with AMTSO... I tested 4-5 times with AMTSO... "QHActiveDefense encountered an error". But seems works fine i.e no 360 files corruption due to error.

Scanned with compressed files enabled full scan...system, data partition, external HD & all my software tools...only 1 FPs-thats good. The FP it detected is a xls file i.e filename.xls.tg.zip.

And a FP on downloading a file. I think this file is rare & used by few users only. New version was released yesterday. The good thing is after 3 hours it was not detected again. May be FP solved. I hadn't submitted the file & I had disabled send unknown files. 0 detection on VT & no detection by Comodo Valkyrie.

As mentioned above resource usage is high with Bd enabled but system/programs response is good.

Attached is the screenshot

Dont know if I am going to keep it or not... still deciding...

UPDATE- Tested again with AMTSO few times. And its definitely buggy. Sometimes it detects fine & sometimes doesn't detects...even on execution. Tested with Chrome & IE.

Time to uninstall now.

Attachments

• Qihu.png
    Qihu.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 384
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.