Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Hello MalwareTips friends.
I would like to know what kind of 0 day/ Hips you prefer most

- Avast free 2015 with Hardened Mode (aggressive)
- Any other AV with comodo firewall (HIPS enabled)

Note. I don't care about sandbox as in both cases will be disabled because:

- Avast deep screen is default ''allow'' so many of infected samples will come through
- Comodo sandbox is annoying by sandboxing many legit applications and lead them to crash.

So when it comes to HIPS what would you choose and WHY?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Not a fan of latest avast due to the problems it caused me on windows 7 and 8. Comodo HIPS are my opinion that are superior to avast but it will require some tweaking. If was to choose between the two, above is my choice. If it was to go further than the two options listed, you have other solutions with decent HIPS/protection.

Reactions: JakeXPMan and MikeV

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Even though i used Comodo the last few months i have to say Avast. Why?
Comodo is for advance users. If you aren't an advance user you wouldn't know what to do with all these pop-ups.
Avast hardened mode i believe is based in whitelisting which i think is more user friendly.
So my conclusion
Comodo HIPS: advanced user
Avast Hardened mode: novice user
I hope i have helped;)

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Are you sure about that? Are you sure there are no conflicts?
360 Total Security has proactive defense (registry, file and system protection) same as comodo (protected registry & system files)
You can exclude both programs in their respective exclude zone, they work pretty fine togheter.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For stronger effectiveness then Comodo HIPS is right to the preferences; besides of user interaction pop ups, user can click sandbox for any unsure program.

While hardened mode for Avast may brought automatic response for any unknown program, however legitimate programs may affect on these concept when it does not meet any conditions especially Digital Signatures.

Reactions: Kent and tonibalas

MikeV

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
For stronger effectiveness then Comodo HIPS is right to the preferences; besides of user interaction pop ups, user can click sandbox for any unsure program.

While hardened mode for Avast may brought automatic response for any unknown program, however legitimate programs may affect on these concept when it does not meet any conditions especially Digital Signatures.

The fact that both programs will block legit programs is true.
Comodo ask the user while Avast has an option for the user to exclude the file, but this is not my point
My point is , in case of a serious malware (example - Ransomware) which product would be more effective and not bypassed?
This is the real power of hips and for this i am interesting to know.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
You can exclude both programs in their respective exclude zone, they work pretty fine togheter.
u only need to exclude comodo in qihoo. Qihoo dont get scannt or something from comodo because it is in the whitelist so it is not needed

for the choice,i would pick avast hardernmode aggressive. i never got popups from legitim programs(popular ones) and its quit effective. another reason for me if that i got a nice av with hardernmode. with comodo u have always problems to fully remove it,some bugs that just come frome nowhere (my lapytop),an much popups with full protection settings. for a normal user hardernmode with avast would be the better choice

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Since you are interested in this ( Ransomware ) i recommend Comodo HIPS because with any unknown file you will get a HIPS pop-up with some options.
One of those options is Block and when you select Block nothing is executed in your system.
I was using Comodo AV for a few months and when i enabled HIPS and tested it in Virus Exchange section HIPS blocked all malwares i threw at it including a Ransomware.
p.s.: i don't have VB installed on my system.
I hope i have helped:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They're not comparable. Hardened Mode on aggressive is based on whitelisting, and Comodo HIPS will ask you permission for everything when software is executed.

Avast DeepScreen is set to improve with avast NG.

Reactions: MikeV

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My point is , in case of a serious malware (example - Ransomware) which product would be more effective and not bypassed?
This is the real power of hips and for this i am interesting to know.

For Comodo their HIPS if not mistaken, its called Buffer Overflow Protection which can raise pop ups of any in related shell code injections hence as I saw before, ransomware are treated under this category.

https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-284-3037-.html

;)

Reactions: Kent

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I've seen malware whitelisted by Kaspersky that I cannot trust any other whitelisting system outhere. HIPS is more control overall IMO, and way better for enthusiastic people.

Reactions: tonibalas
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.