Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I have a license of Avast IS 8 for three years by recommending Avast! to others. What do you suggest to keep on my PC? In personal vm testing using samples from malware hub, Comodo seems better to me but in real world I 've only used Avast free for some years and I was very satisfied. Waiting for your experiences, views, etc.

Z

ZeroDay

If you don't mind interacting with Comodo I'd go with that, this is just my personal opinion but I believe Cis to be the better choice of the two.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I currently have CIS installed xD ; I ask because it may be a pity that I have a paid version of Avast that it's not used and it may be better in real world. I don't believe it either, but I 'm not sure so I ask here.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
From my experience, although I used Avast 7 (at the time), both Paid and Free provide same levels of protection with the except of the Manual Sandbox and other various components that are packed in the suite. Whether you use them or not, is up to you.

However, the main features of Avast Free will be present and standard in Avast Internet Security meaning, unless you use the additional features, you're better of using Avast Free.

PS: I can only speculate Avast 8 Paid doesn't provide extra benefits over Avast 8 Free in terms of default protection.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Earth said:
From my experience, although I used Avast 7 (at the time), both Paid and Free provide same levels of protection with the except of the Manual Sandbox and other various components that are packed in the suite. Whether you use them or not, is up to you.

However, the main features of Avast Free will be present and standard in Avast Internet Security meaning, unless you use the additional features, you're better of using Avast Free.

PS: I can only speculate Avast 8 Paid doesn't provide extra benefits over Avast 8 Free in terms of default protection.

In fact the main difference is the firewall. I dont know if that matters but I tested windows firewall (default settings) and Avast firewall (IS) using the Comodo leak tests suite. Results with Avast were better. I 've posted the results in a previous post of mine-don't remember where.

Seany007

Verified
May 3, 2013
I would feel 'naked' using just AIS.

It has to be CIS for me. Avast don't protect against buffer over-flow. Avast don't have HIPS only BS which needs an improvement. Avast sandbox still needs an improvement. Avast firewall still needs an improvement.

Also CIS after all is a choice with advanced users because you can make it work the way you like.

That's my personal view on it. I don't state these points as facts.

But at the end of the day use what you like the most. Simple.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In terms of protection, you may consider CIS.

Avast IS is fine however its just same as other suites when needed those certain features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.