Battle Avast IS 2015 vs McAfee IS 2015 vs Avira IS 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaskuser

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
Which Internet Security suite is better ? I think avira for detection, avast is resource usage and McAfee for Protection :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yigido

I have no idea about how McAfee works so I won't consider this in my list.

Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM) : Avira > Avast ( I tested on my machine yes Avira lighter.)
Real World System Impact : Avira > Avast
User Friendliness : Avira > Avast ( The menu is simplier than Avast and default settings are greatly set, not much pup-ups)
User Interface : Avast > Avira (Avast looks a little shiny and people loves it. But the interface won't be your background :D )
Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker) : Avast > Avira (Avast has more module to protect you Deepscreen etc)
Overall Winner : This is option is up to you. What are these imprtant for you on the above list? Then, pick up your software.

My gf uses Avira Free for 3 years and had "0" problem about infections. These girls get infected from Adwares and Avira has great detection on adwares ;) This is my opinion, I hope it will help you.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
We haven't used McAffey since Windows 98, and actually replaced it with AVG because it was free!;) That was a long time ago, and the world has moved on since then. For Windows 8.1, we chose Avast! which feels secure with it's "hardened mode" set at moderate, lol (that sounded funny!:D).
We've also used Avira that's (still) installed on our XP system that sleeps even more than the cats, but does not dream. Even now, Avira is a nice AV you can set and leave alone.:p My current choice: Avast! :)

Reactions: omidomi

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well in my honest view, Avast Internet Security tends provide very good features especially the introduction of DeepScreen and Hardened mode which can kill all untrusted applications easily. + Sandbox component which another additional feature that provides virtualization for isolation of programs, so Avast gets my vote.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For the average Internet user, McAfee will not protect your PC. Users who use custom settings (above default) or advanced PC users will have a better chance of staying infection-free with McAfee.

Avast Free Antivirus and Avast Internet Security both provide the same levels of security, with the addition of a Sandbox for Isolating applications and SafeZone for secure online banking (antilogging), as well as a Firewall and other tools. Some tools will require Avast Premier, or additional subscription.

I haven't looked at Avira's 2015 product line, but I know that Avira Protection Cloud is also available in Avira Free, therefore not limited to the paid suites.

From the given options, I would use avast. However, I would opt for Free Antivirus rather than Internet Security. Sandboxie Free provides better usability and compatibility for running software in the sandbox.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Avira is a good free option for the safe or everyday internet user, install and forget (if you like) :) It actually detected 2 malware files from a USB stick without a problem. One of the best detection rates. Runs pretty light on resources, especially a few mins after the boot up, will only consume 14k.

I heard Avast is great too, but I haven't tried, since my only test of using it went rough and sluggish.

McAfee full version installed and did very well for me, but was too heavy on RAM for my liking.

Reactions: peymi

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Avira is only good as stand alone AV, avira pack is werid expecialy FireWall.
From these packs i will pick no one.

Try these setup is complet diferent than typical internet security pack but if you use a bit brain you will easy figure why is a lot better.

SpyShelter FW + AppGuard and Shadow Defender all have lifetime license. and all together will dont use more than 25-50 ram usage.
You will safe a lot money than rent every year for typical IS pack
About scan if you scary about leaks you can use MBAM and few bootcd scaners like Avira kaspersky etc for free.
But with these setup and good brain, scans will be for fun :)

Reactions: jamescv7

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
While I do have McAfee running on two separate machines, one is the Internet Security with tweaked settings which does protect the standard user (as mentioned in the thread by Huracan). The other Machine is actually running McAfee Endpoint solution (McAfee Security-as-a-Service (Saas) which comes also with a Firewall and some other modules that are far better than the IS modules. Both use the same signatures but its modules are more polished on SaaS versions at the cost of its price.

Last time I played with Avira IS, its Firewall component did cause me some issues and performance of the solution was affected as it didn't seem to get along with my Windows 7.

Avast, used to be running on the system until around version 8 and I basically gave up with random issues. That included some BSODs, slow downs etc. Some features of the IS were good but then again, I had to weight if it was worth the hassle.

In the end, if avira works fine for you go for it. If you prefer decent protection and rich features (which some consider bloat), then avast. If you care to tweak a bit the solution, then McAfee.

On a side note: McAfee ain't as bad as many say. They did improve a lot. Only reason I do not run SaaS on my main gaming system is because of the firewall pop up (sliding from bottom of screen up and it never popped up when a new rule was to be created (i.e connection was made), but with a slight delay. Also it does require the use of webdamin to configure all the modules and policies (bit of a hassle for my own system), but then again I can remotely configure it for other systems associated with my account.

dragonmew

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
im using avast but i find it hard to configure and i installed the stuff i wanted with it, i find adding exceptions to the firewall a big pain as sometimes i ahve to disable it to let a program through

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.