Avast! & Windows Metro Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Morning Everyone, don't you just hate working all-night and doing nothing!

My mate has just started to use avast! and has hardened mode enabled, he has loads of metro apps, but avast! keeps blocking them when launched. I know you just click to add them to exclusions, but is there any way to configure avast! to allow them by default i.e., like Kaspersky?

Tony :)

Reactions: LabZero

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Basically you can allow by default if you disable hardened mode. Hardened mode is a default deny unless the programme you are trying to install is in their database of good software. Adding exceptions for these software would hinder what hardened mode is trying to do.

L

LabZero

Before you start the program or the app in question, in the notification area of the Windows taskbar, make a right click Avast icon and in the corresponding context menu.

Moved to "avast protection control!". In the submenu will now be made available four different options to disable avast for protections: 1 hour 10 minutes, until the computer is restarted, permanently.
Depending on personal needs choose the option that makes your case. Immediately after Avast will show a notification screen informing the user that "was an attempt by a key module of avast! (All caps). The request might be that crystallize or might also come from a malware ":

Since you require disabling the guards, continues to confirm by clicking the button "Yes".
Now you can open that program or file that Avast considers a threat, locking it, but that is actually a false positive.
Of course once you have finished working with the program or file, in case you are Avast protection option enabled "disable permanently", remember to re-enable all the protections to not expose the computer to risk of infection.

In the notification area of the Windows taskbar click Avast icon again with the right mouse button and this time in the menu click "control protections of avast! > enable all protections".

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This is the current FAQ about Avast Hardened Mode, its a very simple configuration where it lacks from Kaspersky's APC (Application Privilege Control).

Can I override Avast Hardened Mode when it blocks a program I want to run?

Avast Hardened Mode is disabled by default. If you prefer to have it turned on, you can add such a program to the exclusions by clicking Add an exclusion... on the displayed message, or you can go to the Avast user interface, click Settings, select Antivirus, scroll down to the Exclusions section, then click the Hardened Mode tab, browse your computer for the executable file of the program you want to add to the exclusion list, and then click OK.

If you want to completely disable Avast Hardened Mode, go to the Avast user interface, click Settings, then select Antivirus, scroll down to the Hardened Mode section, and uncheck the box Enable Hardened Mode.

https://www.avast.com/da-dk/faq.php?article=AVKB89

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.