BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
2014-11-07-image-21.jpg

Security software maker AVG Technologies is reportedly being courted by suitors for a potential acquisition. Among those interested are private-equity firms and at least one other technology company according to people familiar with the matter as reported by The Wall Street Journal.

The discussions are said to be in early stages with no formal sale on the tablet just yet although if a deal does get hammered out, it would likely surface in the coming months.

The Amsterdam-based security company, who employs roughly 1,000 people from all over the world, was founded in 1991 and only went public in 2012.

2014-11-07-image-23.jpg

AVG says more than 187 million people use its software which helps users defend against viruses, spam and identity theft on traditional computers as well as mobile devices running Android, iOS and Windows Phone. The company offers free solutions in addition to paid protection.

Shares are up over 12 percent on the rumor which is good news considering it recently reported a 7.8 percent year-over-year drop in revenue to $92.3 million for the third quarter. The company has a market capitalization of more than $940 million as of writing.

As the publication correctly points out, security software companies are a hot commodity among tech investors. If you recall, Intel paid a fortune - $7.68 billion, to be exact – for rival McAfee a few years back. AVG has a quality reputation and solid brand recognition, attributes the company can likely use to negotiate a favorable sum when it comes time to talk money.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Bora, this is certainly interesting news, & I just had to read it all!!:cool: Isn't it amazing how excitement over talk of a potential sale of the company (AVG) can have such a marked effect upon increasing it's market value?o_O While I wonder how their employees are feeling over this (excitement can be good or bad for morale) I feel quite certain that a consensus of members' opinions here would be more aligned with how well AVG performs as the measure of it's true value rather than the company's monetary worth.:)
Maybe we should have been given a poll!:p
Regardless, it was a great share!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Bora, this is certainly interesting news, & I just had to read it all!!:cool: Isn't it amazing how excitement over talk of a potential sale of the company (AVG) can have such a marked effect upon increasing it's market value?o_O While I wonder how their employees are feeling over this (excitement can be good or bad for moral) I feel quite certain that a consensus of members' opinions here would be more aligned with how well AVG performs as the measure of it's true value rather than the company's monetary worth.:)
Maybe we should have been given a poll!:p
Regardless, it was a great share!:)
Where are big names in the play, there is a lot of money spinning. This is just a commercialization of one big name like it's AVG. It's like "if you like to have me, you won't get me cheap" type of thing. TuneUp Utilities have done the similar when the was acquired by AVG.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.