Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have Avast Internet Security licence.

I like Bd free too.

I dont use all the stuffs from Avast.
Only use File/Web Shields & FW.

Protection wise AIS is good with signs, BB & malicious url blocking. Phishing protection is weak. FW defaults seems like Win 7 FW defaults & no difference.
Protection wise Bd free is good with signs, very good BB & good malicious url blocking. Phishing protection is very good too. Coupled with Win 7 FW defaults.

So what you suggest/recommend?

Reactions: Logethica
Y

yigido

Thread author
BD Free is a bit out-dated but it gives better protection than AIS in my opinion. I have AIS license too but I am trying to get rid of it :D
If you like BD Free go with it. It gives all basic needs for you.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Bd free is local plus cloud.

Hope the malware cleaning ability is local too & not completely cloud, any info on this?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
BD free has no firewall. If you use it then you need to add outbound notifications to Windows firewall = BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control.

Alerts only in paid version of WFC ($10, Lifetime license, unlimited installs).

For BD free you have to be signed into the cloud all the time...

Reactions: JakeXPMan

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Avast internet security for sure! Bitdefender Free may have excellent signatures, and malware detection capabilities, it does not offer enough layers of protection. With AIS you get sandboxing,behavioural detection,browser cleanup, an intelligent firewall, cloud detection, signatures,a hotspot scanner, anti-spam. Bitdefender free you only a get a real time scanner. They simply cannot be compared, they are not in the same category.:D So, go for Avast Internet security:)

Reactions: Nightwalker

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i would use avast internet security. Only because u get almost nothing for free these days and if u have a license just use it. avast with hardern mode enable gives u better protection than bitdefender. and i am not sure,i had bitdefender free one year ago. if bitdefender found a thread it doest not in carantine,it just block the malware and change it to something with another ending so that the malware cant run but it was still in the same place. next one is,u have 0 options,nothing like "chose what u want when a thread is detected" etc. with avast is u get secure dns,thats another + and a sandbox,another+.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since you have an AIS license I highly suggest to explore and make your customized tweaks especially in Firewall feature where as long you are comfortable on possible user interaction.

Phishing protection can be solve by adding an extension to the browser for blocking capabilities.

Bitdefender Free is good enough for such straight to the point setup, its a matter adding other layers to make it strong.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Avast internet security for sure! Bitdefender Free may have excellent signatures, and malware detection capabilities, it does not offer enough layers of protection. With AIS you get sandboxing,behavioural detection,browser cleanup, an intelligent firewall, cloud detection, signatures,a hotspot scanner, anti-spam. Bitdefender free you only a get a real time scanner. They simply cannot be compared, they are not in the same category.:D So, go for Avast Internet security:)
Realtime protection layer of both are same for me. Both provides signs, BB, cloud, malicious urls & phishing.
Phishing is weak in Avast & very good in Bd free.

I dont use antispam & secureDNS. Dont have email clients & ISP DNS is good.

How Avast FW is intelligent?
In default settings, it just allows outbound connection like Windows FW or I am missing something here?

Rest Avast modules are manual.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
BD free has no firewall. If you use it then you need to add outbound notifications to Windows firewall = BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control.

Alerts only in paid version of WFC ($10, Lifetime license, unlimited installs).

For BD free you have to be signed into the cloud all the time...
I know that.

But as I am kind of comparing AIS & Bd free, Avast FW too is like Windows FW, atleast in default settings i.e allows outbound connection, right?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yesnoo, not happy with Comodo?
Comodo trial is going on.

The thing is it sometimes doesn't work the way it should, bug or what dont know & this gets irritating sometimes & then you have to go into the settings & check things, restart the system, etc..., etc...

For ex- I use Comodo FW only, HIPS disabled, AS enabled, "Show privilege alerts" - Unchecked & FW set to "Block" & "Dont show popups" - Checked.
Now as per the settings safe programs should not be sandboxed & connections should be allowed.
Yesterday I installed Internet Download Manager. It was safe & not sandboxed but connections were blocked & I couldn't download anything with IDM. Dont know why connections were blocked as it was whitelisted program?
So I changed FW settings so I could allow connections but connections were still blocked & no FW popups from Comodo. System restart is required to allow the connections again

With this new version, now Comodo treats programs already installed before CIS install as safe.
So this means already installed programs will not be sandboxed & connections will not be blocked as they are treated safe.
But after CIS install & rating scan & system restart, I noticed couple programs in "Unrecognized List". When I ran those programs, they were not sandboxed but connections were blocked. Rating them as trusted didn't allowed the connections & system restart was required as mentioned above.

This all becomes problematic & irritating when the program doesn't works the way it should. And with Comodo I have experienced this quite a few times.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Realtime protection layer of both are same for me. Both provides signs, BB, cloud, malicious urls & phishing.
Phishing is weak in Avast & very good in Bd free.

I dont use antispam & secureDNS. Dont have email clients & ISP DNS is good.

How Avast FW is intelligent?
In default settings, it just allows outbound connection like Windows FW or I am missing something here?

Rest Avast modules are manual.

• Well that's your point of view my friend, i don't think antivirus and security is simple as you say. And i don't think you know all the algorithms that Avast and Bitdefender use(neither me).A firewall is not 'simply' inbound or outbound, it has to work together with all the different parts of a system.If you think i'm wrong then construct your own personal firewall or antivirus and will see. You have to be realistic also, Bitdefender doesn't offer you a free Antivirus and paid products(Antivirus and security suite) for nothing. Do some research on the net and you'll understand when you use a free product, your are the product.
  • You should take variations into consideration, they may both be 'the same' to you, they have real time protections but their algorithms have differences.That's why i said 'layers' of security. The fact that avast is a complete suite, those layers are designed to be more efficient together than a single cloud based, free antivirus, in that case Bitdefender free, and a windows firewall.
  • Computer security is complex, you don't just add this to that....yeah, and add a few add-ons, because you think all is the same and you feel secure, because you think you're secure in doing things your way.You have to use your brain a little.Also you may not use Anti-spam or secure DNS, others do. Your personal choices are yours, not of others.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Comodo trial is going on.

The thing is it sometimes doesn't work the way it should, bug or what dont know & this gets irritating sometimes & then you have to go into the settings & check things, restart the system, etc..., etc...

For ex- I use Comodo FW only, HIPS disabled, AS enabled, "Show privilege alerts" - Unchecked & FW set to "Block" & "Dont show popups" - Checked.
Now as per the settings safe programs should not be sandboxed & connections should be allowed.
Yesterday I installed Internet Download Manager. It was safe & not sandboxed but connections were blocked & I couldn't download anything with IDM. Dont know why connections were blocked as it was whitelisted program?
So I changed FW settings so I could allow connections but connections were still blocked & no FW popups from Comodo. System restart is required to allow the connections again

With this new version, now Comodo treats programs already installed before CIS install as safe.
So this means already installed programs will not be sandboxed & connections will not be blocked as they are treated safe.
But after CIS install & rating scan & system restart, I noticed couple programs in "Unrecognized List". When I ran those programs, they were not sandboxed but connections were blocked. Rating them as trusted didn't allowed the connections & system restart was required as mentioned above.

This all becomes problematic & irritating when the program doesn't works the way it should. And with Comodo I have experienced this quite a few times.

Same here on my system... lots of irritating issues (quirks\bugs). Getting a definitive answer on the Comodo forum is a hopeless situation.

Defense+ identifies a few System32 files as Unrecognized. Some get sandboxed.

Make sure when you create a HIPS exclusion rule to set the reputation to "Any" - otherwise CIS will auto-sandbox the file if its rating is set to "Trusted."

I white-list the entire Windows folder - and still some files will be detected as Unrecognized.

Yeah, Comodo has issues with its file rating system...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Same here on my system... lots of irritating issues (quirks\bugs). Getting a definitive answer on the Comodo forum is a hopeless situation.

Defense+ identifies a few System32 files as Unrecognized. Some get sandboxed.

Make sure when you create a HIPS exclusion rule to set the reputation to "Any" - otherwise CIS will auto-sandbox the file if its rating is set to "Trusted."

I white-list the entire Windows folder - and still some files will be detected as Unrecognized.

Yeah, Comodo has issues with its file rating system...
I have HIPS disabled.

Yeah, bugs, file rating system issues, etc...

Nowadays, in Comodo forum its hard to get a reply from Devs & even expert users dont reply much.

Fixes also come late or with program update or next version, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.