Guide | How To Beef Windows 7 Security! (Last updated 11/11/14)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Hi all, Flames here and tonight or whenever this gets finished I will be writing a quick tutorial on browsing the internet safely. Mainly tormenting and securing your web browser. In a few easy steps you will have a secure system with no antivirus. Although try doing a scan with malwarebytes every once in awhile. Here goes.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
========================
1.Intro(complete @11.9.14)
2.(software - complete @11.9.14 | suggestions accepted)
3.(Beefing up your browser- @11.9.14 | suggestions accepted)
4.(patching your windows os - @11.9.14)
5.(torrenting safely WORK IN PROGRESS| suggestions accepted)
6.(Choosing a antivirus! || Recommendations accepeted!)
7 (outro/feedback - @11.9.14)

Q: Will this work?

A: Yes it will if you do these steps correctly and your click matters. This review is based on a week with no antivirus and my windows seven machine is doing fine!

1. Install Unchecky
Q:
What is Unchecky?
A: Unchecky is a uac like program that blocks and warns you about adware. You can get it at:
http://unchecky.com/

2. Install Zemna Antilogger

Q: What is Antilogger?

A: Antilogger is a free anti-keylogger which stops keyloggers from tracking you!
You can get it here:
http://www.zemana.com/product/antilogger-free/overview/

3. Beef up your firefox or chrome browser by installing the following!
-adblockplus for firefox
-uBlock for chromium based browsers
-web of trust for firefox and chrome

4. You now have a secure browser! Grats, next step is to patch your system!
Do so by going to windows updates and install all recommended updates and checking then installing the updates!

5. Torrenting safely |

1) - Use a antivirus/ anti-malware program to block known malware and/or
fake downloads. I may make a list of antiviruses in the future. I also test antiviruses but I won't advertise cause this is not a ad. You can get a free suite such as Tiranium since most tests proven it works and I shall test it someday in a vm!
1.5) - Be sure to see what the community says about the product before installing it!

2) - Read comments on the torrent before installing it! | It pays off!

3) - Virtualbox Or Sandboxie:
It can be used for testing programs you download or try Sandboxie!

6. [SUGGESTED TIPS BY THE MalwareTips COMMUNITY!]

"I have couple of suggestions:
- CryptoPrevent (200 policy rules created to block malicious executables)
- EMET
- my tutorial for auto scanning downloaded files from internet (it's on Croatian but you can use Google translator or just watch pictures)
- Toolwiz Time Freeze
- Simple Software-restriction Policy
- MCShield Anti-Malware Tool or No Autorun"

- AV Gurus

"I'm concern regarding on USB protection since there's a situation that you have no choice but to insert in your system therefore turn off the Autoplay and install immunization software or realtime protection mentioned by other member.

In torrent make sure to investigate first if its a safe or not the file by checking the comments and its seeds/leechers.

Prefer on not downloading pirated software on torrents which may cause bundled files that can infect your computer.

And the best way use a virtual machine/ junk PC to test an application before verified." - jamesvc7

6. - [CURRENTLY OUTRO/FEEDBACK MAY CHANGE]
This is a wip tutorial on beefing up your securtiy on any windows os above windows xp!
Did you enjoy this tutorial? If so please comment and like so I know if you want me to continue this tutorial. I will update software and addons for firefox and chrome. If you want to help just continue this tutorial in the comments! Or shoot me a pm on MalwareTips. Thanks and I hope this current version of this tutorial will save you a few bucks!

<FLAMES_SEC | WE GOT YOUR BACK!>

YT:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEEl_LSuh4FsVBQwraQSVQ

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
These are helpful tips for those who are still using XP, but why go without an AV when there are many free versions available to choose from?o_O
I also agree with jackuars, and use Sandboxie every time I open a browser (except when using linux) and use WinPatrol on our Windows 7 too!:)

Another fail safe that might be considered is Shadow Defender
A free alternative that similarly returns the system back to it's original state (just in case) is Toolwiz Time Freeze

Reactions: Adhit Prakosho

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm concern regarding on USB protection since there's a situation that you have no choice but to insert in your system therefore turn off the Autoplay and install immunization software or realtime protection mentioned by other member.

In torrent make sure to investigate first if its a safe or not the file by checking the comments and its seeds/leechers.

Prefer on not downloading pirated software on torrents which may cause bundled files that can infect your computer.

And the best way use a virtual machine/ junk PC to test an application before verified.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have couple of suggestions:
- CryptoPrevent (200 policy rules created to block malicious executables)
- EMET

CryptoPrevent conflicts with Spotify, and with over 40 million user worldwide it's not likely to go down well. EMET is good, but I've heard it can be a pain to set-up and configure. An alternate could be Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, or if you use a paid security suite (for example: Kaspersky, ESET).

I strongly recommend that any Windows and Mac OS X user to utilise and reap the benefits of any reputable Antivirus software. If you prefer not to use one, make sure you have adequate backup and recovery, and or operate in an isolated environment (ie. Sandboxie). Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 users should keep UAC on at least default settings, password-protect the Admin user account and all users to be limited to a Standard user account.

Of course, this is not a foolproof system as some software, web browsers and extensions can still be installed without admin privileges.

Any Windows XP (SP0, SP1, SP2, SP3 and unofficial SP4) users to switch to a supported OS (ie. Windows 8.1, Mac OS X Yosemite, any current Linux distro).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.