Battle Best Antivirus 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
As you know, I have a war room thread about the best security suite. However, I need some advice about Antiviruses now. Please reply or vote in the poll!
Also, I need advice about my Second-Option Scanner so please vote in there too (yes, I take MT advice for everything)

Last edited:

Byte

Level 1
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
I would pick 360 internet/total security. it's free, has good detection and not bloated like other free alternatives.

Reactions: Kent

alexp79

Level 2
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
Hello
For me level of protection and usuability it's kaspersky, avira and webroot. In performances only, it's webroot and avira first.
I don't talk about eset cos last time i used it is little far. Avast i never liked this product. Bitdefender always found it buggy and uninstable; AVG from my experience was heavy and not so good in protection.
Emisoft and qihoo i never used it.
For others; fortinet is good for a free one but really too heavy; gdata is heavy and didn't feel it so powerfull ( a bit over rated in my opinion); Trend micro is heavy; MSE minimum in term of protection.
You didn't mention it but panda is a good software also; not so heavy and quite good especially for free

D

Deleted member 21043

I like all of the first 6 in the poll. I also like the User Interfaces of them, which is what attracts me to the product, as well as being nice and secure.

When there isn't a good User Interface, I rage. I'll make them remake it :O :p :D
When there protection isn't very good and something passes through accidentally, I rage. I'll make them fix it :O :p :D

I RAGE LIKE A BOSS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
1. ESET
2. Qihoo
3. Emsisoft

I like all of them and use eset on one computer & I use the other 2 on my other laptops, but everyone of them are good on their own way. @Littlebits has said something about how you get viruses depends on the users action... If you think before you do something then you should be good with any antivirus you choose to get. I honestly think a antivirus is there if you choose the wrong action & get infected so then the antivirus can remove the infection and you can proceed with your day.

As for the "best antivirus" there isn't one and there won't be one anytime soon because people release new malware constantly for that reason antivirus can't detect everything. The "best antivirus" thing is a opinion and it will always be because no antivirus has 100% detection therefore you can't say there is a best antivirus.

~

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
What I'm currently using is Avast and Qihoo. No time to test AVs like I used to.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Free AV: Qihoo 360 TS (Good detection. Just disable bitdefender's engine) or avast! (Hardened Mode)
Paid AV: ESET NOD32 (Good detection. You should tweak its setting though) or Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Great detection!)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The word "Best" is a wide open term that can mean many things.
What is best in one category can be the worse in other categories.
The word "Best' to me is a balance of all categories which includes performance, compatibility, useability, low false positives, stability, trustworthiness, price, features, etc.

Although none are perfect, Avast Free is the closest to fitting this category next in line would be Avira Free.

Enjoy!! :D

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
If I were to repair an infected PC, my first option is to disable the malware first, install AV after that. I always use Avast Free. I've been doing this for years on many PCs

1. It has the highest detection rate with locally written worms.
2. Fewer false positives.
3. Allow me to run my home-brew tools. Avira, Kaspersky, HMP, ESET, etc detects them as suspicious or malware.
4. Easy to update the signature even on a PC without internet connection.
5. Boot Scan. Don't need to use a bootable AV that you have to update first. With Avast that's take care off. I need Boot Scan to get rid of drop files hiding in the non-obvious locations

Functionality, Performance, Speed that's my criteria.

Reactions: Littlebits

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast Free hasn't been as reliable as previous versions. So for me, Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 gets my vote.

Based on free solutions only.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The word "Best" is a wide open term that can mean many things.
What is best in one category can be the worse in other categories.
The word "Best' to me is a balance of all categories which includes performance, compatibility, useability, low false positives, stability, trustworthiness, price, features, etc.

Although none are perfect, Avast Free is the closest to fitting this category next in line would be Avira Free.

Enjoy!! :D
The delay that avast causes to chrome launching time, doesn't disturb you?

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I never had a delay when I was testing avast. I had it on my system for about 3 weeks. No problems.
Are you sure? I have noticed that on 4 PC's i ve come through using latest version of Avast.
Check this thread if you want, and what I did to see what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.