Status
Not open for further replies.

superboy123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2012
hello everyone...
I would like to ask which antivirus is better for a low spec computer (low ram/ CPU specs).

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Another factor for classifying low memory would depend on the OS in use? ie. Windows XP with 2GB is above average, whereas on Windows Vista wouldn't be. Just a thought, after hearing your opinions on the low RAM subject. :D

I also would like to add that 64-bit Windows and 64-bit programs require more RAM then 32-bit.

On Vista, Windows 7 & 8, using ReadyBoost with USB device can make you system run faster with lower RAM. Of coarse if RAM is the problem then buy more and install it, you system will run much better for all programs.

Thanks.:D

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

I would suggest Norton IS (main AV) + Webroot SA Antivirus (Cloud Companion AV).
If you want to stick with just one, choose Norton, great detection rate plus very light on resources.

EDIT: I just realized that I already posted here. Sorry for the double post. :)

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I suggest Avast or Comodo. Don't recommend ESET & kaspersky. I can't say for the others as I don't remember their consumption at the moment. Webroot is also a good choice in terms of ram consuption but it's not as effective as the two I suggested.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
According to the latest AV-Comparatives Performance-Test from May 2013: http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/avc_per_201304_en.pdf
F-Secure and Kaspersky are the lightest suites.
k2prPXh.jpg

However, from my own experience, I would definitely go with Avast Free Antivirus, ESET Smart Security, Comodo Internet Security or Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Jack said:
According to the latest AV-Comparatives Performance-Test from May 2013: http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/avc_per_201304_en.pdf
F-Secure and Kaspersky are the lightest suites.
k2prPXh.jpg

However, from my own experience, I would definitely go with Avast Free Antivirus, ESET Smart Security, Comodo Internet Security or Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

The creator of the post asks about memory consumption; this is about general resources usage but anyway useful.
EDIT: sorry, for some reason it was stuck on my head that it was about ram usage xD The thread says about memory usage and the poll about general resources usage.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Avast uses about 10 mb of RAM, Comodo too
Eset is also very light on the system but sometimes memory usage exceeds 90mb

Those 3 are my pick

DreadedKamoteness

May 9, 2013
superboy123 said:
hello everyone...
I would like to ask which antivirus is better for a low spec computer (low ram/ CPU specs).

bitdefender IS... Resources used: 3 process...
1. Bitdefender Agent - uses 1MB of RAM
2. Bitdefender Security Service - Uses 10MB of RAM
3. Bitdefender Update Service - Uses 1MB of RAM...

light with 100% detection rate... always ranked 1 as backed up by AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, VB100... how's that comodo... comodo is overrated in this forum... it's not even on AV-Comparatives, it scored below industry's average of only 84 and 90 at AV-Test and failed to get a certificate at VB100...

Gorilla P

Verified
Jan 31, 2013
If you're wanting to go extremely lightweight, you're looking at Microsoft Security Essentials, Panda Cloud and possibly Immunet. However the detection rates for those apps are not very impressive. I would recommend avoiding any security suites and going with an AV. BitDefender and Ad-Aware both have free AV's that are pretty light on resources and work well.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
These are my suggestions,

Avira Free Antivirus (no toolbar)
OR
Microsoft Security Essentials

Keep UAC turned on, at least Default settings.
Keep Windows Firewall turned on, set to Home Network. (PS: Work network will prevent Streaming updates on Avast)

Don't worry about the lack of web protection, your browser will provide that for you, along with common knowledge (if not, use WOT, Webutation, URLVoid for opinions) about what sites are good or bad. Also both Chrome and IE10 have malware download protection.

And finally don't get paranoid! :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well from what I have tried, MSE and Trend would have to be the lightest for me, but remember it depends on the system you're running it on.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
McLovin said:
Well from what I have tried, MSE and Trend would have to be the lightest for me, but remember it depends on the system you're running it on.

I just assume Trend make some special installer for Mclovin so it is always light on his system.
:p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Spirit said:
I just assume Trend make some special installer for Mclovin so it is always light on his system.

Haha, that would be nice, but no. I just find it a lot faster than these other security suites.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Spirit said:
McLovin said:

The advantage as possible when Trend Micro went to be cloud based thus light from the system. ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:
The advantage as possible when Trend Micro went to be cloud based thus light from the system. ;)

That was a good move for Trend. Like with any security company that does it. Everything is updating, so why not security companies do the same.

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
And here is a test of memory usage........
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/

antivirus-memory-results-idle.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.