Battle Best Chrome alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Hi n.nvt,

Hope that you feeling better? I really like Opera Next! Glad you hear your post today!
I was afraid that some spyware and tracking cookies within it. Thanks for the information
and insight you provided on Opera! I am going to install Opera Next right now!

What is your opinion on Maxthon Browser?

http://www.opera.com/computer/next

What is the difference between Opera and Opera Next? I see no changes.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The meaning have been changed.
Old Opera that uses their own Presto engine was called Opera and the newer Opera that uses Chromium engine was called Opera Next.
Now Opera Next refers to the Development and alpha builds.

Thanks. :D

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
The meaning have been changed.
Old Opera that uses their own Presto engine was called Opera and the newer Opera that uses Chromium engine was called Opera Next.
Now Opera Next refers to the Development and alpha builds.

Where is this "Old Opera"....?

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Where is this "Old Opera"....?
OperaPortable_128.png
OPERA 12.16
Download page:
http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.16
Portable: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/opera_portable#test

Enjoy, friend!

Reactions: Oxygen

l1nuxfre4k

Level 2
Verified
Apr 20, 2014
nice thread, lots of stuff i didnt know :)
Im really curies what you(littlebits) think about maxthon?? whats your personal opinion about it?
And Superbird, is it any good?
Also What Opera? the next or the old engine?

Also a browser that doesnt eat a lot of memory is a good idea for me :p
i got a habit of having 25+ tabs open at the same time and sometimes i see Chrome eating up to 1GB for ONE tab and lots of CPU, this tab could be wowhead, facebook and others :(

Last edited:

Icy

Level 2
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Icy, Thanks!:)
I am always looking for improvement in everything that I do within my life.
Happy Easter!:D

Happy easter. I do agree that one must seek improvement but that in my opinion only applies to our belongings.Given the "paranoia" state of most governments at the very moment, it's very tough to have your own private space IN REAL LIFE let alone the internet which is already handled by your ISP and the servers that host websites whether they choose to encrypt your data or not.
I might have expressed my opinion a bit aggressively and I apologize for that it's just my nature.

Sorry and thank you!:)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
nice thread, lots of stuff i didnt know :)
Im really curies what you(littlebits) think about maxthon?? whats your personal opinion about it?
And Superbird, is it any good?
Also What Opera? the next or the old engine?

Also a browser that doesnt eat a lot of memory is a good idea for me :p
i got a habit of having 25+ tabs open at the same time and sometimes i see Chrome eating up to 1GB for ONE tab and lots of CPU, this tab could be wowhead, facebook and others :(

Maxton Cloud Browser is extremely light and fast at loading webpages, it uses both Apple Webkit and Trident engines (IE) so if the webpage doesn't load correctly you can switch engines on individual tabs, so some tabs on use Webkit and others can use Trident at the same time. It includes its own cloud password manager because you won't need to use another one, always allows you to sync your browser settings to the cloud also includes an excellent AdHunter to block ads. The one thing that it lacks compared to Firefox and Google Chrome is extensions. They develop their own extensions and there are not many to choose from. So if you are a user who likes a wide selection of extensions then Maxthon might not be for you.

Superbird is just a clone of SRWare Iron, there is only a few differences like the default homepage is an ad-supported Google custom search which can be changed. It also does not include Google's documents services which allows you to open online documents without downloading them, Google Safe Browsing, Google's sandboxed flash player, Google Translate and Google's PDF reader. Without these extra security features it can run faster than Google Chrome but is less secure.

When it comes to Opera, it is a matter of user preferences. I like the old Presto engine better because it gives you another browsing engine to choose from besides of just having Trident (IE), Chromium, Apple Webkit (Safari), Mozilla Firefox, Netscape (Mozilla SeaMonkey) and QTWeb (Nokia's Qt framework). I was really disappointed when Opera decided to abandon their Presto engine and move to Chromium. The best thing about the move is they have managed to keep the Chromium core updated unlike most other clones.

The new Opera doesn't really have much differences compared to Google Chrome, hopefully they will develop features to make it more distinctive. The advantage of the Chromium-based Opera is it supports all of extensions in Google Web Store, the Presto-based Opera had limited extensions but most were really good. I believe move to Chromium was a forced decision they had to do because other browsers were passing up their Presto engine in development and were much more popular. I believe this was an over-all success for Opera because after the transfer to Chromium, Opera has been download more times than any other Chromium clone making it second to Google Chrome.

For 25+ tabs open at the same time, Maxthon might give you better results because it has less extensions. Another option would to be disable all of your Chrome extensions that are not extremely important to you. The more extensions enabled the more resources will be used. Other browsers that might handle that many tabs opened at the same time and still use less resources is SlimBrowser (Trident- based) or SlimBoat (Apple Webkit-based).

Enjoy!! :D

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Maxton Cloud Browser is extremely light and fast at loading webpages, it uses both Apple Webkit and Trident engines (IE) so if the webpage doesn't load correctly you can switch engines on individual tabs, so some tabs on use Webkit and others can use Trident at the same time. It includes its own cloud password manager because you won't need to use another one, always allows you to sync your browser settings to the cloud also includes an excellent AdHunter to block ads. The one thing that it lacks compared to Firefox and Google Chrome is extensions. They develop their own extensions and there are not many to choose from. So if you are a user who likes a wide selection of extensions then Maxthon might not be for you.

Superbird is just a clone of SRWare Iron, there is only a few differences like the default homepage is an ad-supported Google custom search which can be changed. It also does not include Google's documents services which allows you to open online documents without downloading them, Google Safe Browsing, Google's sandboxed flash player, Google Translate and Google's PDF reader. Without these extra security features it can run faster than Google Chrome but is less secure.

When it comes to Opera, it is a matter of user preferences. I like the old Presto engine better because it gives you another browsing engine to choose from besides of just having Trident (IE), Chromium, Apple Webkit (Safari), Mozilla Firefox, Netscape (Mozilla SeaMonkey) and QTWeb (Nokia's Qt framework). I was really disappointed when Opera decided to abandon their Presto engine and move to Chromium. The best thing about the move is they have managed to keep the Chromium core updated unlike most other clones.

The new Opera doesn't really have much differences compared to Google Chrome, hopefully they will develop features to make it more distinctive. The advantage of the Chromium-based Opera is it supports all of extensions in Google Web Store, the Presto-based Opera had limited extensions but most were really good. I believe move to Chromium was a forced decision they had to do because other browsers were passing up their Presto engine in development and were much more popular. I believe this was an over-all success for Opera because after the transfer to Chromium, Opera has been download more times than any other Chromium clone making it second to Google Chrome.

For 25+ tabs open at the same time, Maxthon might give you better results because it has less extensions. Another option would to be disable all of your Chrome extensions that are not extremely important to you. The more extensions enabled to more resources will be used. Other browsers that might handle that many tabs opened at the same time and still use less resources is SlimBrowser (Trident- based) or SlimBoat (Apple Webkit-based).

Thanks for this post!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I'm loving Opera 12 ---- Best browser i've tried!
Opera's Presto engine browser is really good, I can never understand why it wasn't more popular.
The main problem is it probably will not receive any more updates making it vulnerable to exploits.

Opera did say that would continue to patch vulnerabilities for awhile but eventually will probably no longer support it.
There was a campaign to try to get Opera to make Presto open-source but nothing really happen.
I believe making Presto open-source would have saved the project that is what made Chromium so popular.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Current using Opera Next & Maxthon Cloud Browser.

Opera Next21.0

version information.
Version:21.0.1432.39
Browser identification:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.116 Safari/537.36 OPR/21.0.1432.39 (Edition Next)

Maxthon Cloud Browser:
v4.3.2.1000

Thinking about using only portable browsers in the near future

Last edited:

l1nuxfre4k

Level 2
Verified
Apr 20, 2014

For 25+ tabs open at the same time, Maxthon might give you better results because it has less extensions. Another option would to be disable all of your Chrome extensions that are not extremely important to you. The more extensions enabled the more resources will be used. Other browsers that might handle that many tabs opened at the same time and still use less resources is SlimBrowser (Trident- based) or SlimBoat (Apple Webkit-based).

Thats one long answer ^_^
thanks for all the info.
Regarding Maxton, im currently surfing using it,
the issues i've had so far with it, some pages seem to fail, its like the page freezes to load or something, doesnt help with refresh.
Also now and then it suddenly decides to refresh all pages :p

Hehe yea, Chrome eats my memory away, byte by byte ^_^
Regarding the Slimbrowser, how is that then? do they keep it up to date?
how is the Trident engine? i mena IE isnt that good :p

And also, why are people so afraid of google or some big coperation getting some info regarding you? are you a criminal in any way? if you arent i cant understand why the paranoia :D, who cares if they know what i surf or whatever :p

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Thats one long answer ^_^
thanks for all the info.
Regarding Maxton, im currently surfing using it,
the issues i've had so far with it, some pages seem to fail, its like the page freezes to load or something, doesnt help with refresh.
Also now and then it suddenly decides to refresh all pages :p

Hehe yea, Chrome eats my memory away, byte by byte ^_^
Regarding the Slimbrowser, how is that then? do they keep it up to date?
how is the Trident engine? i mena IE isnt that good :p

And also, why are people so afraid of google or some big coperation getting some info regarding you? are you a criminal in any way? if you arent i cant understand why the paranoia :D, who cares if they know what i surf or whatever :p

On Maxthon's address bar there is a lightening volt which switches between Webkit and Trident engines, Webkit is faster and is Maxthon's default engine but some websites don't display correctly with it, so you can switch to Trident for those websites. Most websites will fully support Trident since it is the most popular browser engine.

Browsers that use the Trident engine plug into Internet Explorer's existing engine and use IE's settings. So it is important to keep Internet Explorer updated and configured to default settings. SlimBrowser is the fastest browser to use Trident engine and is very light. Yes both SlimBrowser and SlimBoat are actively kept updated by the developer.

The Trident engine is very good, much better than it is given credit for. Older IE versions were really bad which gave Trident its bad reputation. Most common was the Active X vulnerabilities in older IE versions that allowed drive-bye malware to install without any user actions. But updated IE 9, 10 & 11 does not have those issues. IE 11 is a very secure browser now at default settings.

The Google paranoia started out because when Google Chrome was first released it tracked users and became a privacy issue.
Some users still believe it tracks them but most of the tracking was remove with newer versions and with changing settings and adding extensions you can control any tracking behavior. So it is really nothing to be concern about unless you are involve with some illegal online activities.

How much RAM does your system have installed? Are you using 32 or 64 bit Windows? You may need to buy more RAM which would solve the problem of too much getting used up. Most browsers with 25 tabs open will consume a lot of memory especially if some webpages have flash player. Adding a flash block extension might save some memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.