Best combination of FREE AV + Firewall. What is yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Kong

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I would like to know what will be your best combination of FREE AV + Firewall?

The criteria are simple, both AV and firewall must be 100% free for life, AV must come with real-time scanning engine, there are some free version of AVs but without real-time scan, they will not be considered here.

Previously, I was using free version Comodo IS(for several years until issue with my Win 8), their firewall is the best I can find.

360 TS has constant high detection rates in malwares-pack thread, so I will take it into the pair.

Thus my best combination of FREE AV + Firewall is:

360 TS + Comodo Firewall

Now share yours and why do you choose so?

Tr.H.D

Level 1
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
Good! What is your reason?
For me, no slow down (i3, 2GB ram, Windows 8.1), very very few FPs and bugs compare to others (in fact I haven't seen one yet).
I've tried most of AVs such as Q360, Kaspersky, Bitdefender and its clones, Avast, Avira, AVG and so on, but none of them gives me enough good experience.
Use this combination with Tinywall (controll Windows Firewall), Sandboxie and Common Sense Premium Protection :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Similar reason to @Tr.H.D , MSE/WD has a very low FP rate. Windows Defender (on Win 8/8.1) or Microsoft Security Essentials (on Win 7) with Windows Firewall and UAC on default.

Currently testing out, on Windows 8.1 (w. UAC on default)
- Avast Free Antivirus w. custom install and settings (Members should be able to view my signature for more info.)
- Windows Firewall w. Advanced Security

It's worth mentioning that there is NO best combination.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Comodo antivirus and Windows Firewall.
Comodo has very good overall protection and Windows Firewall is just good enough for me:).
This combo is light and offers me very good protection.
I don't want other Firewalls because they give to many notifications and it's a little disturbing for me:cool:.
I like Comodo because you can play with the settings and configure it however you want;).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For users who are well experience enough then they can configure the firewall from third party (Comodo, Privatefirewall and others) + strong enough AV (Avast, Qihoo, and etc)

But I need to agree on other members about the built in Windows Defender + Windows Firewall why? Because its everything light, can provide good protection, and less worries. Just add common sense that's all :)

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I was under the impression that the OP was asking for "Free AV + Firewall"...

Anyway, been using the combination of Avira Free + Comodo Firewall with HIPS. One old laptop I have has Avast Free + Comodo Firewall with HIPS. Been accustomed to the way Comodo behaves especially the HIPS so it's not an issue to me besides I use its HIPS to block nasty programs that call/connect home. You can't block that with Windows firewall. For the AV is it's detection. Also have tried and the experienced was okay and no big issues :)

Avast Free or Avira Free + Private Firewall
Avast Free or Avira Free + Online Armor Free
Bitdefender Free + Comodo Firewall

When I get an additional hard drive I'll be set to use 360 IS with either Outpost Firewall Pro / Online Armor Premium / Comodo Firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.