Not open for further replies.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
A third-party firewall is a power-user tool — not an essential piece of security software. The Windows firewall is solid and trustworthy. While people can quibble about the Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender virus detection rate, the Windows firewall does just as good a job of blocking incoming connections as other firewalls.
Why You Don’t Need to Install a Third-Party Firewall

Windows has a built-in firewall that blocks inbound connections. If a program wants to act as a server, Windows will prompt you. Some geeks don’t like the built-in firewall because it doesn’t offer the same prompts for outgoing connections.
The Windows firewall allows all programs on your computer to connect to the Internet without asking you. There’s a whole firewall industry bent on convincing average users that they need additional protection, but you really don’t.
Why You Don’t Need an Outbound Firewall On Your Laptop or Desktop PC

WSA firewall works differently than a traditional firewall in that it works together with the Windows firewall, functioning as the outbound component while the Windows firewall takes care of the inbound traffic. More specifically, it blocks malicious data traffic coming onto your computer. Basically, when both are turned on, they work in tandem to monitor data traffic coming in and out of your computer ports, looking for untrusted process that try to connect to the internet. The result is an intelligent and hassle-free firewall that unintrusively performs in the background, letting our powerful antivirus work it's magic and only steps in if it misses something.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'm with xywcloud!:) My reasoning behind using Windows Firewall surprises me mainly because here is where I'd learned how effective, protecting on a further level deeper, Windows latest Firewall truly is!
@Petrovic, your explanation describes exactly why I'm proud to be among your brethren too!;):D

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
yes of course we are choose windows 8, 8.x because, we are realized that
uptodate windows now is windows 8.1 update 1 or 2 next coming..
but on several protection test.. show just on windows 7 MS having a good protection
no on windows 8.x..therefore i choose third party is commodo or ZoneAlarm...

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
@Petrovic
WSA firewall works differently than a traditional firewall
you mean, Webroot Secure Anywhere.? i'm not so clearly..
The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection.

You should not turn off either the Windows firewall or the SecureAnywhere firewall. If they are disabled, your system is open to many types of threats whenever you connect to the Internet or to a network. These firewalls can block malware, hacking attempts, and other online threats before they can cause damage to your system or compromise your security.

The SecureAnywhere firewall is preconfigured to filter traffic on your computer. It works in the background without disrupting your normal activities. If the firewall detects any unrecognized traffic, it opens an alert where you can block the traffic or allow it to proceed.

You can adjust how the firewall manages processes and whether it should open an alert when it does not recognize a process.

To protect your computer from hackers and other threats, the firewall monitors processes that attempt to access the Internet. It also monitors the ports used for communicating with the Internet. Advanced users have control over whether SecureAnywhere will allow or block certain processes and port communications.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
I voted for windows firewall :)
Windows firewall built in on Windows 8/8.1 is more than enough for me, there is no need using HIPS firewall component (at least my opinion) why we need to block some specific program from accessing the internet? for me if we don't want a program accessing the internet the best way to avoid this is not install it at the first place. :)

D

Deleted member 178

I voted for windows firewall :)
Windows firewall built in on Windows 8/8.1 is more than enough for me, there is no need using HIPS firewall component (at least my opinion)

i second that.

one thing you should know is that you have 2 kind of users:

1- the normal users needing a good security soft for their protection
2- the crazy-sec-geeks-belonging-on-sec-forums-that-have-nothing-better-to do than install dozen of soft not needed at all because they never get infected

:D

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
@Petrovic
Bit late...
so far i'm know starting on windows7 WF both working, inbound more effective then
outbound except on XP just outbound
WSE is good but not so reactive also WF..on windows8.1 yes it's true
I have tried using WSA IS complete and plus even to try the cracked one
just want to have more longer time...Not all people know WSA ..my thought,
the only one AV or firewall not having apps..dll files installed on your pc like eg
Kaspersky with mega bytes save on your PC,"WSA" all files and database are
handled by their server nor database, updates on your pc just installed small client
wrsa.exe..and when you install WSA just in minutes,,the fastes AV/FW install ever.
you mentioned WSA should be with more detail, explaination ..to let people know.
i need your info..because i'm also WSA user. 8.0.4.70
In short Third Party is still needed. as WSA
Code:
Did You Know?
Webroot was founded in 1997 by the late Steven Thomas.
His work is carried on today by his sister, Anna,
who is a member of our social media team.
wsa1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadowave

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Webroot SecureAnywhere can either replace or work alongside your
existing antivirus software.
Webroot SecureAnywhere is fully compatible with other mainstream antivirus products and
will work alongside any existing antivirus software to detect and remove any threats it
misses, and to protect your financial and personal information.
You will not be asked to uninstall your existing antivirus when installing Webroot
SecureAnywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.