Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
What would be the best VPN software for anonymity and secure web experience available in the market.
Note Only freeware suggestion required.
I saw certain programs like Spotflux , Hotspotsheild, cyberghost. So I need some more so that I can settle with the perfect one. Please name with ur personal experience.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Lot of people praise VPN Book
http://www.vpnbook.com/

logo.png

Venhiem

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
My personal experience says that VPN Book and Steganos Online shield are perrrfect. You can get Steganos for free easily as it has regular giveaways or if you ask I can give you a key I have 4 with me. Spotflux gives errors 50% of the time. Hotspot shield is okay but there is a GREAT loss of speed and connection times are slow. I have Cyberghost, it works fine, not exceptional. If you want exceptional go for TunnelBear, its free, and you can earn more bandwidth for free by Tweeting every month. Hmmmm, what else? SmartDNS Proxy is also very good and it is free.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks , but how to use VPNBook, i'm getting confused!

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks , but how to use VPNBook, i'm getting confused!

1) Download the OpenVPN software from http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html. You need the “Windows Installer”.

2) Once the file is downloaded, right click the file to start the install process, then “Run as administrator“. Note for Vista and Win 7 users, you need to install OpenVPN as administrator.

3) Click “Next” and then agree to the Terms of Service.

4 ) You’ll see “License Agreement”

I Agree

5) Have all components selected (make sure all have checkmarks) and the click “Next“.

6) Choose install path – this will be c:\ProgramFiles\OpenVPN

Now click “Install“.

In the security window that pops up select “Install“.

8) Installation Complete Screen.

Click “Next“.

9) Click “Finish“.

Now we install the Certificate to connect to VPNBook on Port 80 (Needs Winzip/winrar/7zip)
STEP 1 - download the Certificate for TCP Port 80 access.

STEP 2 – DOWNLOAD THE OPENVPN CERTIFICATE (UNZIP)

Download OpenVPN certificate bundle and unzip it

3) Unzip the certificate file.

STEP 3 – Copy the .ovpn files to c:\ProgramFiles\OpenVPN\config
Extract the files to c:\ProgramFiles\OpenVPN\config or copy them to this directory.

VPNBook bundles now include only include the .ovpn files. I’ll explain this a little later on.

4) If you don’t know how to use Winzip, don’t worry, we can use cut and paste instead. We can use Windows Explorer – Copy the .ovpn files, Navigate to“c:\program files\OpenVPN\config” and paste the .ovpn configuration files into this \config directory.

Note for ordinary OpenVPN there would be 2 files (a .crt and .ovpn). (vpnbook.crt was the old security certificate). This is important if you’re an experienced VPNBook user – as you’d be flummoxed wondering where this .crt file has gone. It’s been integrated into their .ovpn file.

Step 5 – Connect to OpenVPN.
5) Right click on the OpenVPN icon in the system tray (lower right hand corner of your screen), and select “Connect” from the menu.

6) Enter your VPNBook user name and password into OpenVPN (these are obtained from http://www.vpnbook.com).

• Username: vpnbook
  • Password: rac3vat9
  • Click “OK

7) Connected log appears – Congratulations… you are now running a VPN using Port 80.
As OpenVPN is connecting the log will fill with information. This is normal. Once completed you will be connected to your new VPN!

Congratulations! Your connection is now ready to use!

Select “Disconnect” when you are ready to end your session – but lets test that you are running a Romanian IP first.

To Test that you’re running on a Romanian IP – and get a pretty Romanian Flag
Click on this link: www.dnsleaktest.com

That was easy, right? :D

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
1) Download the OpenVPN software from http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html. You need the “Windows Installer”.

2) Once the file is downloaded, right click the file to start the install process, then “Run as administrator“. Note for Vista and Win 7 users, you need to install OpenVPN as administrator.

3) Click “Next” and then agree to the Terms of Service.

4 ) You’ll see “License Agreement”

I Agree

5) Have all components selected (make sure all have checkmarks) and the click “Next“.

6) Choose install path – this will be c:\ProgramFiles\OpenVPN

Now click “Install“.

In the security window that pops up select “Install“.

8) Installation Complete Screen.

Click “Next“.

9) Click “Finish“.

Now we install the Certificate to connect to VPNBook on Port 80 (Needs Winzip/winrar/7zip)
STEP 1 - download the Certificate for TCP Port 80 access.

STEP 2 – DOWNLOAD THE OPENVPN CERTIFICATE (UNZIP)

Download OpenVPN certificate bundle and unzip it

3) Unzip the certificate file.

STEP 3 – Copy the .ovpn files to c:\ProgramFiles\OpenVPN\config
Extract the files to c:\ProgramFiles\OpenVPN\config or copy them to this directory.

VPNBook bundles now include only include the .ovpn files. I’ll explain this a little later on.

4) If you don’t know how to use Winzip, don’t worry, we can use cut and paste instead. We can use Windows Explorer – Copy the .ovpn files, Navigate to“c:\program files\OpenVPN\config” and paste the .ovpn configuration files into this \config directory.

Note for ordinary OpenVPN there would be 2 files (a .crt and .ovpn). (vpnbook.crt was the old security certificate). This is important if you’re an experienced VPNBook user – as you’d be flummoxed wondering where this .crt file has gone. It’s been integrated into their .ovpn file.

Step 5 – Connect to OpenVPN.
5) Right click on the OpenVPN icon in the system tray (lower right hand corner of your screen), and select “Connect” from the menu.

6) Enter your VPNBook user name and password into OpenVPN (these are obtained from http://www.vpnbook.com).

• Username: vpnbook
  • Password: rac3vat9
  • Click “OK

7) Connected log appears – Congratulations… you are now running a VPN using Port 80.
As OpenVPN is connecting the log will fill with information. This is normal. Once completed you will be connected to your new VPN!

Congratulations! Your connection is now ready to use!

Select “Disconnect” when you are ready to end your session – but lets test that you are running a Romanian IP first.

To Test that you’re running on a Romanian IP – and get a pretty Romanian Flag
Click on this link: www.dnsleaktest.com

That was easy, right? :D
Thanks a lot bro.!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
My personal experience says that VPN Book and Steganos Online shield are perrrfect. You can get Steganos for free easily as it has regular giveaways or if you ask I can give you a key I have 4 with me. Spotflux gives errors 50% of the time. Hotspot shield is okay but there is a GREAT loss of speed and connection times are slow. I have Cyberghost, it works fine, not exceptional. If you want exceptional go for TunnelBear, its free, and you can earn more bandwidth for free by Tweeting every month. Hmmmm, what else? SmartDNS Proxy is also very good and it is free.

Steganos online shield is not perfect. i get a 1 yr key in giveway & it's won't even connect!
What VPN right now i'm using is fast & never feel any slowdown. it's totally free & i can choose servers plus it's sever not located in USA which is good & it's server close to my country which is also good. the one thing is they kept some logs & will give them to court, police if anyone use their VPN servers for illegal purpose. well i not much concern about it coz i surf net normally, if i really much concern about privacy then i'll use paid VPN coz free VPN are useless. anyways i like this vpn coz it fast & never gives any problems, also it has AES 256-bit and RSA 4096-bit encryptions :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.