App Review Bitdefender Anti-Virus Free 2015 Review (Prevention)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thanxx for the test.

This is the AV I am trying right now on my family members, relatives, friends, etc... system, all of them are average users.

Bd free did fantastic in the test.
In my opinion, the best free AV for average users.
No ads, craps, etc...

Proactive protection in free AVs is either missing, limited, mediocre or GUI bells & whistle & dont work at all.
Bd free provides excellent proactive protection, signatures, heur, phishing, etc...

The test, especially Active Virus Control proves that Bd free indeed provides the same core protection as Bd paid.

Almost all the free AVs are adding craps, hope Bd free remains crap free.

R

Ramona

Decent security, I feel like Avast, AVG are way better. If we count AV from CH then Tencent, Qihoo and Baidu are also very good. In the test it had some startup itemes that he didn't talk (see norton power eraser)

Reactions: Behold Eck

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Worth to consider as alternative to Panda Free AV and others.

You have already a Cloud AV realtime + AVC + Web shield that embedded on most browser which should be enough at all.

Better version than the old flagship of their free which contains lots of limitation from features.

D

Deleted member 2913

Decent security, I feel like Avast, AVG are way better. If we count AV from CH then Tencent, Qihoo and Baidu are also very good. In the test it had some startup itemes that he didn't talk (see norton power eraser)
Didn't notice norton result properly but I think 1 active item was there & that item had 0 detection at VT & he mentioned this.
Other were harmless remains or files from PUP installed. He mentioned something like every vendors treat PUP differently.

No active malware (excluding the item that had 0 detection at VT) & after system restart nothing popped up.
Bd free did fantastic. AVC is really an excellent BB. Its rare to see an excellent working BB, especially in free AVs.

Reactions: Circe
R

Ramona

Bitdefender is a good product but there are better, for free AVs Avast, AVG are very good. I am using 360 and it is the best but, the memory usage it high with all AVs.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
A great wee set and forget av program more for family and friends due to the non-tweekability of it.

Thanks for the great review.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
One of the good free antivirus on the market. It has a lot of proactive features that others have not.
Needs to be polished a little :)
Thanks for sharing.

EXACTLY! :cool:

It's also very light on system... but the auto-scan "bug" ruined it for me. It's still really cool though and nice of BD to have such great security option for free, and if a firewall is added like Private / Comodo... it's like having a good paid product. :D

D

Deleted member 2913

EXACTLY! :cool:

It's also very light on system... but the auto-scan "bug" ruined it for me. It's still really cool though and nice of BD to have such great security option for free, and if a firewall is added like Private / Comodo... it's like having a good paid product. :D
What auto-scan bug?

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
You can turn off the autoscan, just click it's off setting.
Biggest gripe I have with this AV is the Logs file sometimes won't open.

Reactions: Behold Eck

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
What auto-scan bug?

The bug is that,

It's daily cycle routine gives up scanning for you, one day it went grey thinking I was signed out, but I'd been logged in fine.

Bug Link http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=49584

I went to Bitdefender website and some others had this happen too. It still works and updates with signatures, but the full scan gets messed up (need to log and and back in), and the "quick sweep" never works again.

Though, it might not happen to everyone... not enough people using BD free to know how buggy it can get or not, compared with Avast and Qihoo which are highly regarded.

You can turn off the autoscan, just click it's off setting.
Biggest gripe I have with this AV is the Logs file sometimes won't open.

Never had that happen, but yeah the bugs gotta work out and it would be one of the best AV freebies! :)

Disabling Autoscan is fine, but I like to see a scan run when its supposed to hehe ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.