Battle Bitdefender IS vs Bitdefender free + Comodo Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread author
Hello, i currently have a 461 days key for Bitdefender IS. I know it might seem strange, but will replacing it with Bitdefender free and Comodo Firewall provide me with better protection?:)

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Great Combination!

I am waiting on Comodo Firewall for Windows 8.1?

> BitDefender Free Edition
> Webroot SecureAnywhere
> Trojan Hunter
> Malwarebtyes Anti-Mlaware
> Hitman Pro
> Also, I use Dr. Web CureIt one week to scan do a Full Scan?

Hope this help you! This is what I have using for about 3 months now.

Thread author
Moose said:
Great Combination!

I am waiting on Comodo Firewall for Windows 8.1?

> BitDefender Free Edition
> Webroot SecureAnywhere
> Trojan Hunter
> Malwarebtyes Anti-Mlaware
> Hitman Pro
> Also, I use Dr. Web CureIt one week to scan do a Full Scan?

Hope this help you! This is what I have using for about 3 months now.

And what about performance?
:)

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
> BitDefender Free Edition = Free = Realtime
> Webroot SecureAnywhere = Paid = Realtime
> Trojan Hunter = Paid = Secondary Scanner
> Malwarebtyes Anti-Mlaware = Paid = Secondary Scanner
> Hitman Pro = Secondary Scanner
> Also, I use Dr. Web CureIt one week to scan do a Full Scan? = Free = Secondary Scanner

And what about performance? Light! And Smooth! Try and let me know what you think?

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I think you should not bother yourself about this. You already have a 400+ days licence of a PAID software, and If I were you, I would definitely go with it. Yes, Bitdefender Free and Comodo Firewall is a good combination, yet, I dont think that Bitdefender Free has the most functions of the IS. I'm not meaning the firewall etc but c'mon, its a suite there you got! :) In my opinion, BDFree + CF is okay but not great in versus of IS. Free lacks bunch of functions that IS has, and your PC will have to operate 2 different solutions (even different companies) (Av+FW), yet, with IS, you'll have a suite with ease of usability.

My vote goes to IS :)

Thread author
Ok, i will stay with IS. It is so light on resources(now using 10-15 MB):) And the most of them are from the update service.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
No issues here!

> Also, I use Dr. Web CureIt one week to scan do a Full Scan? = Free = Secondary Scanner!

Using for 3 months!

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Moose said:
No issues here!

> Also, I use Dr. Web CureIt one week to scan do a Full Scan? = Free = Secondary Scanner!

Using for 3 months!
Lucky you. Thousands of others weren't so lucky. I ditched it within a week of trialing.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Tried on 2011,2012,2013,2014 with no luck. Bitdefender Internet Security!
Also, tried Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 early this year with no luck.
But the Bitdefender Free Edition:

I have on 4 PC's Totals @ Home

> 2 PC's on X64 Bits Operating Systems.
> 1 PC on X86 Bits Operating System.
> 1 PC on Windows XP X32/X86 Bits Operating System.

I never use the Customer Service,because they are no help, period!

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Moose said:

The kindest thing I could say of their customer support is that it's on par with having no support at all.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
aztony said:
Moose said:

The kindest thing I could say of their customer support is that it's on par with having no support at all.
Hi. Our X64 bit Windows 8 system needed a replacement anti-virus, so a mere 2 days prior to discovering MalwareTips I'd decided to uninstall McAffey (trial expired) to replace with Bitdefender free. I've no complaints (so far) but if I am to believe all I've read here c/s could benefit if they had even one of you here working for them. We're using Windows firewall, Bitdefender, & Malwarebytes free. Question: Do we need Comodo Firewall, or something like it, for better security?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Firewall = How old is your PC? Newer PC's,no! Older PC's yes!

Use my set-up with-out > Malwarebtyes Anti-Mlaware = Paid = Secondary Scanner is know to cause
conflicts. That is why I use as a Secondary Scanner. And when you install the Anti-virus turn off the other security software. Right Click, shutdown then install, BitDefender Free Edition, and it completely update! Then restart your PC. The same go for installing other security software. One at a time.

> Also, I use Dr. Web CureIt one week to scan do a Full Scan? = Free = Secondary Scanner

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Question: Do we need Comodo Firewall, or something like it, for better security?
From the information being put out about the efficacy of the firewall(s) in Win 7 & Win 8 by both security experts and users alike, there is consensus that you no longer need to rely on a 3rd party firewall with one of those OSes like you do with XP, e.g. Unless, you have preference for a particular 3rd party firewall, that is. So you should be fine with the native firewall.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Moose said:
Firewall = How old is your PC? Newer PC's,no! Older PC's yes!

Use my set-up with-out > Malwarebtyes Anti-Mlaware = Paid = Secondary Scanner is know to cause
conflicts. That is why I use as a Secondary Scanner. And when you install the Anti-virus turn off the other security software. Right Click, shutdown then install, BitDefender Free Edition, and it completely update! Then restart your PC. The same go for installing other security software. One at a time.

The laptop I use most is a fairly new Acer Aspire M5 with Windows 8 OS, but these precautions are good advice as I've re-logged in on an older Hewlett Packard PC/Windows XP OS! Thank you especially for your instructions. :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
aztony said:
Question: Do we need Comodo Firewall, or something like it, for better security?
From the information being put out about the efficacy of the firewall(s) in Win 7 & Win 8 by both security experts and users alike, there is consensus that you no longer need to rely on a 3rd party firewall with one of those OSes like you do with XP, e.g. Unless, you have preference for a particular 3rd party firewall, that is. So you should be fine with the native firewall.

Thank you so much! Feeling safe & confident with the 'native' firewalls on both our Windows 8 laptop, and another that uses Windows 7, conveys (from what you've shared) a peace of mind that makes me smile! :D

Thread author
Well i can't understand why you feel it is buggy. No problems at all for 271 days neither with 2013 nor with 2014 version. I was using it with Windows 7 and Windows 8. But maybe i am lucky.:) Just forgot to tell you that the support really isn't the fastest. I asked them a simple question about BD and i received my reply after 2 days.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.