Boost by Reason Software - Is it any good?

Is Boost good software, or avoid it?

• Good

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Avoid

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You may know that Reason Software are the makers behind Should I Remove It software, Should I Block it online resource and HerdProtect, the second-line defence on-demand scanner.

http://malwaretips.com/threads/should-i-remove-it-and-should-i-block-it.14885/
http://malwaretips.com/threads/herdprotect-anti-malware-scanner.20791/

So I was curious to know if anyone have used their other free piece of software called Boost.
http://www.boostbyreason.com/

Update: URLVoid results - http://www.urlvoid.com/scan/boostbyreason.com

looda

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 11, 2014
kis 2014 reputation say its good but for me i don't wont boost tool....:oops: i boost my w8 by myself -i had bad experience with these tools in the bast

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I'm not sure what it did.

gNNC0gW.png

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I know it used to be paid software, but looks like they made it free recently. Not sure if there are any catches though, and wanted to share just because everyone talks about herdProtect a lot.

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
I remember using it for a week or so on my old computer... I had the same feeling as @Fantasy. No explanation about the "boosting" whatsoever.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
You need to ask yourself. What do they get out of it? What information might they collect about you? Even if "Anonymous".

I haven't done so but I advise you to check the terms of use and privacy policy.

For more technical information about what this program does you can visit hxxp://boostbyreason.com/features_technical.aspx

Reactions: Littlebits

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You need to ask yourself. What do they get out of it? What information might they collect about you? Even if "Anonymous".

I haven't done so but I advise you to check the terms of use and privacy policy.

For more technical information about what this program does you can visit hxxp://boostbyreason.com/features_technical.aspx
I agree with MrXidus. By asking ourselves 'What do they get out of it?',o_O and if we refer to the the company's popularity based on all the users whom have liked "Herdprotect", what has the company:oops: been getting from everyone?:rolleyes:

LOL... thanks for the laugh.
:) ..and thank You, Fantasy, for taking Boost for that virtual spin. Even if it doesn't do anything,:mad: you sure looked:cool: like you were getting some place fast!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I agree with MrXidus. By asking ourselves 'What do they get out of it?',o_O and if we refer to the the company's popularity based on all the users whom have liked "Herdprotect", what has the company:oops: been getting from everyone?:rolleyes:

:) ..and thank You, Fantasy, for taking Boost for that virtual spin. Even if it doesn't do anything,:mad: you sure looked:cool: like you were getting some place fast!:D
Yeah Huracan's Ferrari was real nice... I think i'm going to steal it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I just tried it and it recommended to uninstall PicPick my favorite screenshot program and doesn't give any reasons why it should be uninstalled. It indicated that my system has problems with yellow color but my system is running super fast. On some system with a lot of system startup entries, it could make the boot process a little faster but making the system run like new it not a possibility unless you reinstall Windows. The only thing this product does it remove startup items and uninstall programs. It also continues to run in the background after you shut it down using up resources, I had to kill it with Task Manager and also adds scheduled tasks without asking you and there is no way to change it on the settings. They are probably just giving away as a promotion to get users to buy it in the future. The uninstaller is not complete like IObit, Revo, Wise or Geek which removes all left overs.

There are many other freeware product which will do the same thing like WinPatrol, Microsoft Autoruns, Emsisoft Hijack Free, System Explorer, etc. that has a database which will give you more details about the products and startup items.

I was not impressed by this product since it offers no benefits over the other products that I use.

Enjoy!! :D

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I know this an old thread, but I want to add my experience with Boost.

I used Boost when it was first released, and liked it enough to purchase a license. Back then, it was not free.

Over time, my opinion changed, as it did not seem to do much to help performance, and could slow my computer quite a bit when it was running in the background analyzing my system to see if it needed to be boosted. I was hoping that a program update might make it run better, but Boost has not received any program updates since December of 2013. But, to be fair, I presume that it gets updated information on what to boost over the internet.

I just decided to try it again, to see how it would work under Windows 10. While it doesn't officially support Windows 10, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. After it installed it, I clicked on the Boost button to boost my system. The end result was that it made scrolling in my web browser, 360 Extreme Explorer noticably faster. There a few processes that Boost closed which I would have preferred to keep, but you can whitelist a process which not only prevents it from being closed again, but also restarts to closed process.

For the moment, I will keep Boost installed and see if it has any issues with causing slowdowns. If it doesn't, I'm going to keep it installed.

Reactions: Ink
D

Deleted member 178

True, but it's much more convenient to have software to do it automatically.

Yes, but if the software add bloats, like services, autorun entries, reg keys everywheres, then it is not worthy.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@Umbra That's just a matter of personal opinion really. I'm highly skilled at boosting PCs manually. I can keep my computers running fast without using any 3rd part software. But, I do use some software to do the same as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.