Bravo20's Config

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Did you find much difference between the 3 modes of security in 360? Performance/Balanced/Security? Also how is your opinion on the Speed up and cleaning utilities?
Was about to ask why you chose Total Security over Internet Security but I assume its because of the virus databases?

Thanks for sharing the config.

Bravo20

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 15, 2015
Did you find much difference between the 3 modes of security in 360? Performance/Balanced/Security? Also how is your opinion on the Speed up and cleaning utilities?
Was about to ask why you chose Total Security over Internet Security but I assume its because of the virus databases?

Thanks for sharing the config.

Well, plenty of RAM, so I've always used "Security" - which is basically real-time and on-demand use of Avira and Bitdefender engines. Yeah, I like a good balance between signatures and zero-day features, hence while I use Comodo Firewall too. Comodo's signatures just don't cut the mustard right now for me to consider using their full suite, but the firewall features are too good to give up!

I do occasionally run 360's "Checkup" function, but prefer good old CCleaner for the task. Seems pretty safe and efficient to use though. They're presently trialing a "System Backup Cleaner" in the beta, but I haven't and probably won't touch that. Overall, though, I'd definitely recommend 360 Total Security, and the combo with Comodo Firewall too, if you want a solid free setup and have the resources.

Bravo20

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 15, 2015
Very good configuration! :)

Any backups and recovery that you have in case of any emergency arises?

Cheers. Well, I routinely sync documents etc. to OneDrive, which comes enabled with my University email account, and also to Google Drive. However, I also periodically backup vital stuff to a spare offline PC too. With almost three years of research at stake, I take no chances!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
It seems you have, and shall continue to receive, the highest marks for many excellent choices in both software and execution; and I thank you for sharing your knowing set up with us.:) Btw, I love that you have lots of RAM, & thoroughly endorse CCleaner! I shall look further into each software you've listed following it!:):) As you are familiar with Hitman Pro, surfright has additionally developed a program I have recently installed on our own Windows 7 SP1 & 8.1 systems. It's called HitmanPro.Alert 2.6. You can read more about it, and download it here:
Bravo20, I just have to ask, ..you aren't by any chance related to our very own exterminator20, are you??o_O :) You see, you both have the very same last name (20)!!:p:D Although I jest (I am really j/k,;)) it isn't too far fetched for you each share being quite knowledgeable.:):) :cool:
Thanks!:D

Bravo20

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 15, 2015
It seems you have, and shall continue to receive, the highest marks for many excellent choices in both software and execution; and I thank you for sharing your knowing set up with us.:) Btw, I love that you have lots of RAM, & thoroughly endorse CCleaner! I shall look further into each software you've listed following it!:):) As you are familiar with Hitman Pro, surfright has additionally developed a program I have recently installed on our own Windows 7 SP1 & 8.1 systems. It's called HitmanPro.Alert 2.6. You can read more about it, and download it here:
Bravo20, I just have to ask, ..you aren't by any chance related to our very own exterminator20, are you??o_O :) You see, you both have the very same last name (20)!!:p:D Although I jest (I am really j/k,;)) it isn't too far fetched for you each share being quite knowledgeable.:):) :cool:
Thanks!:D

Indeed, I tested HitmanPro.Alert 3.0.22 build 131 Release Candidate not too long ago. It certainly seems a lot further down the line in terms of capability than Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, but I'm not sure I'd ever consider purchasing a license and ditching MBAE as I just don't feel it's necessary. I might be missing something, but I can't see that HMPA offers anything extra to the free sandboxed browsing and keylogger blocking that I already have in place. The question should always be, why pay? Particularly when one is a hard-up student!

No, no relations here, as far as I am aware... Then again, I guess we're all kind of related through our geeky love for malware-busting :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Indeed, I tested HitmanPro.Alert 3.0.22 build 131 Release Candidate not too long ago. It certainly seems a lot further down the line in terms of capability than Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, but I'm not sure I'd ever consider purchasing a license and ditching MBAE as I just don't feel it's necessary. I might be missing something, but I can't see that HMPA offers anything extra to the free sandboxed browsing and keylogger blocking that I already have in place. The question should always be, why pay? Particularly when one is a hard-up student!

No, no relations here, as far as I am aware... Then again, I guess we're all kind of related through our geeky love for malware-busting :)
(This was my PM to you, but then I realized it's fun to share with everyone, most of the time, too!:p)
Hello Bravo20,
I agree completely, if the question is "why pay?". I've been humbly grateful to both generous fellow members and (yes) staff, as well as those gloriously exciting Free Giveaways you'd mentioned on your intro. I have been saved from the costs of AVs & software (for now) *crosses fingers* while looking Heavenward.:rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear you sandbox as I'd nearly recommended Sandboxie but held back as well as suggesting activating Chrome's 3rd party cookie blocker. In case you don't already know, here it is:
  1. From Settings scroll to the bottom >> Show Advanced settings...
  2. Under Privacy choose >> Content Settings... >> Cookies >> mark box "Block third party cookies & site data"
  3. Also choose "Keep local data only until you quit browser"
  • Optional for added privacy: Browse using "Incognito"
Malwarebytes Anti-exploit is also part of my arsenal, and yet I've wondered whether it essentially covers vulnerabilities equally, though they read differently.
MBAM Anti-exploit = Zero day (protecting browsers & Java)
while Hitman pro.Alert = Warning of unsafe sites & stopping Banking Trojans/Anti-crytolocker (like a UAC that wouldn't be thought annoying..;))

One attraction of HitmanPro.Alert 2.6 is it's protection from ransomware, and another is that it's a free software too.:)

Regards from your new friend & fellow member,

~Cats

PS *laughing* as our cat (the 1 on the left) is sleeping as in the picture, but now he's behind the computer & U-turned the other way around!:D

Last edited:

Bravo20

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 15, 2015
(This was my PM to you, but then I realized it's fun to share with everyone, most of the time, too!:p)
Hello Bravo20,
I agree completely, if the question is "why pay?". I've been humbly grateful to both generous fellow members and (yes) staff, as well as those gloriously exciting Free Giveaways you'd mentioned on your intro. I have been saved from the costs of AVs & software (for now) *crosses fingers* while looking Heavenward.:rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear you sandbox as I'd nearly recommended Sandboxie but held back as well as suggesting activating Chrome's 3rd party cookie blocker. In case you don't already know, here it is:
  1. From Settings scroll to the bottom >> Show Advanced settings...
  2. Under Privacy choose >> Content Settings... >> Cookies >> mark box "Block third party cookies & site data"
  3. Also choose "Keep local data only until you quit browser"
  • Optional for added privacy: Browse using "Incognito"
Malwarebytes Anti-exploit is also part of my arsenal, and yet I've wondered whether it essentially covers vulnerabilities equally, though they read differently.
MBAM Anti-exploit = Zero day (protecting browsers & Java)
while Hitman pro.Alert = Warning of unsafe sites & stopping Banking Trojans/Anti-crytolocker (like a UAC that wouldn't be thought annoying..;))

One attraction of HitmanPro.Alert 2.6 is it's protection from ransomware, and another is that it's a free software too.:)

Regards from your new friend & fellow member,

~Cats

PS *laughing* as our cat (the 1 on the left) is sleeping as in the picture, but now he's behind the computer & U-turned the other way around!:D

You make a good point about both anti-exploiters. We'd like to think Malwarebytes would be on top of most ransomware etc., but they are definitely a lot more vague than Surfright about what they are actually guarding users from and how they achieve it. They should probably look into this aspect in future versions of the product, but I guess I've settled upon them (MBAE free) because HMPA 2.6 has primarily been advertised as "alert" rather than prevention software.

Ultimately, I think one can get too carried away with trying to cover all bases and overcomplicating their setup by running numerous applications that eventually bog the PC down and create conflicts etc. As I said, finding a balance between reliable signatures and zero-day defence, like sandboxing/behaviour-blocking, and combining it with some good old fashioned common sense, is usually more than adequate.

By the way, you mentioned Google, who I have also been quite impressed with of late. Have you noticed how good GMail has become at identifying spam and disabling malicious content? I reckon this is due to their acquisition of Virus Total, but it's certainly very good to see as many people are still clueless about online dangers and simply open and execute everything without thinking. Maybe this increase in warnings within people's inboxes will move them to become better informed about internet security and even stumble upon MT! I hope so.

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
First of all thank you for explaining HPAlert i consider using it.
I have some suggestions about your config.
Add another browser Mozilla based so you can have all bases covered, i recommend Cyberfox and PaleMoon both are fast and very stable.
Another suggestion is to add a password manager like LastPass which is free to secure your passwords when you are online.
I like your config it's very strong and best of all it's free:D.
Thanks for sharing your config:).

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks, some good suggestions there. I've been meaning to check out LastPass, looks like a useful bit of kit.

I wondered if anyone would mention LastPass while drifting off to sleep.;) @tonibalas I'm glad you'd suggested it!:cool:
It has become one of my favorite extensions, though more recently we've installed their free universal app. for both our Windows 8.1 & 7 SP 1 as it operates more smoothly (for us) on these systems.
You make a good point about both anti-exploiters. We'd like to think Malwarebytes would be on top of most ransomware etc., but they are definitely a lot more vague than Surfright about what they are actually guarding users from and how they achieve it. They should probably look into this aspect in future versions of the product, but I guess I've settled upon them (MBAE free) because HMPA 2.6 has primarily been advertised as "alert" rather than prevention software.

Ultimately, I think one can get too carried away with trying to cover all bases and overcomplicating their setup by running numerous applications that eventually bog the PC down and create conflicts etc. As I said, finding a balance between reliable signatures and zero-day defence, like sandboxing/behaviour-blocking, and combining it with some good old fashioned common sense, is usually more than adequate.

By the way, you mentioned Google, who I have also been quite impressed with of late. Have you noticed how good GMail has become at identifying spam and disabling malicious content? I reckon this is due to their acquisition of Virus Total, but it's certainly very good to see as many people are still clueless about online dangers and simply open and execute everything without thinking. Maybe this increase in warnings within people's inboxes will move them to become better informed about internet security and even stumble upon MT! I hope so.

Gmail is the reigning King of spam filtering!:) I have been considering forwarding all other emails I use (1 more than all of our cats!:rolleyes:) to gmail for this reason.

After taking in the logic of "..I think one can get too carried away with trying to cover all bases and over complicating their setup"
both you and toni had me smiling;) after reading toni's subsequent suggestion:

"..you can have all bases covered, i recommend Cyberfox and PaleMoon both are fast and very stable."

I agreed with Toni's choices even while I was *laughing out loud*!!:p:D

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Come on Cats-4_Owners-2 how can i not recommend Lastpass it's free and a very good software to secure and remember your passwords.
As for Cyberfox and Palemoon i like them because both are stable and this is very important for me.
But at moment i enjoy using Slimjet it's fast and stable.
p.s.: i am happy that i made you laugh :p:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.