Browsers memory usage according to Ghacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdan

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2011
According to a recent test on ghacks.net (read the entire blog post here), "Chrome uses way more memory than Firefox, Opera or Internet Explorer". They tested by opening 10 popular websites in different tabs and measuring RAM usage (different values like Private, Shared and Total Memory, Private and Mapped Virtual Memory) using Windows Task Manager. No extensions or plugins were enabled.

Their results in ascending order (first browser uses less memory, the last browser uses more):
  1. Opera 12.00
  2. Mozilla Firefox 16 Nightly
  3. Internet Explorer 9
  4. Google Chrome 22 Canary

Now, I have a couple of small issues/questions regarding the test:
  • Using dev or beta builds could influence the result?
  • Can we reliably measure RAM usage?
  • Is RAM usage that important?

I'm a long time Firefox user but even I feel that Chrome is faster to respond in some cases.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I agree with you bogdan Ram memory usage is not applicable to determine the software lightness on system.
A simple example is Eset Smart Security vs Kaspersky Internet Security vs Emsisoft Antimalware.
Eset uses 80 Mb while Kis use 30-40 mb And Eam use 10-20 mb during idle but Eset is way light than the other two

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RAM Usage its not now to be one for being measurement on how browser performs. A matter of I/O performance and CPU usage since modern days have bigger RAMs.

Also multi processes browser have the ability to equalize the usage to avoid crashes and problems.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Chrome uses way more memory than Firefox, Opera or Internet Explorer

When you ask Internet users about their personal opinions about web browsers, some may tell you that they feel Firefox is using too much memory which is keeping the browser back, and that Google’s Chrome browser on the other hand is a slim fast browser that does not use that much RAM when running.

It seems like a fight between the two browsers, with Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Opera only taking up the roles of bystanders that watch how those two browsers – or users of those browsers – are battling it out.

If you have followed the development of both browsers in recent time, you may have noticed that Mozilla has started to cut down on Firefox’s fat to improve the browser’s memory usage and snappiness, while Google seems to have shifted priorities elsewhere. Some users even see the browser becoming more bloated, with all the features and additions that Google is implementing into it.

Key findings:

Opera is the most memory efficient browser, followed by Firefox
Opera needs 150 MB less of memory than Chrome for the ten websites
Firefox needs 100 MB less of memory than Chrome to display the ten sample websites
When it comes to virtual memory, both browsers use only half of what Chrome needs.

For full article and benchmark results visit this link.

Enjoy!

P

Plexx

RE: Chrome uses way more memory than Firefox, Opera or Internet Explorer

Should I consider swapping to Waterfox?
Opera is not what it used to be anymore.
Chrome memory usage does use quite a bit. But then again I have to disable some services that are just using memory for no reason.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

Is this just chrome or ALL chromium based browsers? I don't notice near as much drag with dragon or iron compared to FF.

P

Plexx

I havent really tried Dragon of Iron although I will by using the RAM post by MrXidus.

I am curious to see the other users experience on Chrome

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

MRF71 said:
Is this just chrome or ALL chromium based browsers? I don't notice near as much drag with dragon or iron compared to FF.

I would be extremely surprised if any of the Chromium variants actually do anything to adjust the RAM usage.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I have not seen anyone mention that Chrome has a sandbox for added security. Not to mention Chrome has the feature that ensures if one tab crashes, The rest of the tabs or the whole browser itself doesn't crash. I like these features and if that means a little extra memory usage, That's fine by me! Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.