Building a gaming PC

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Hi guys/girls, This is just to show off and ask a few questions about the new computer im building for a friend.

First of all:
The processor: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6 core
Motherboard: ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3
RAM: 16GB RAM corsair vengeance DDR3 ( 2 X 8GB )
Graphics: Sapphire 4GB Radeon HD 6570
HDD: Barracuda 1TB
PSU: Ace Black 650W PSU
Optical drives: DVD Writer

Total price to build: £395

First off what does everyone think of that? Is it good or is there some things i need to change? I haven't picked a case yet as they want a LED case of some kind.

Second. Anything else i need to add?

And lastly. What is recommended software for this PC? It will be a gaming PC and will also record games and console from HD PVR2.

Software planned for installation:
AVS Video editor,
Lolio game recorder,

Thanks,
Shaun

Last edited:

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Someone told me this setup, the motherboard would bottleneck the CUP. First is that an issue? and seconds if it is a problem is there an easy solution? I read somewhere overclocking stops most bottlenecking but im not too sure.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Someone told me this setup, the motherboard would bottleneck the CUP. First is that an issue? and seconds if it is a problem is there an easy solution? I read somewhere overclocking stops most bottlenecking but im not too sure.

IDK what you talking about man, I just don't understand.
That motherboard is more than enough for that CPU. I'm running an Oced FX-8350 on a cheap Asus M5A99X EVO r2.0 and I have no bottleneck. Do you have any link to any serious source saying that motherboard will bottlenek a cheap 6300?

Reactions: Shaun

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
IDK what you talking about man, I just don't understand.
That motherboard is more than enough for that CPU. I'm running an Oced FX-8350 on a cheap Asus M5A99X EVO r2.0 and I have no bottleneck. Do you have any link to any serious source saying that motherboard will bottlenek a cheap 6300?

No my friend said he talked to an expert with a HND and he said there was multiply problems with my build and that was the main one. I told him he was wrong but he dosen't beleive me. He also said the graphics card won't work without a fan but it had a build in one. I just don't understand either.

But thank you for helping me.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
No my friend said he talked to an expert with a HND and he said there was multiply problems with my build and that was the main one. I told him he was wrong but he dosen't beleive me. He also said the graphics card won't work without a fan but it had a build in one. I just don't understand either.

But thank you for helping me.

Jesus man, if you buy a graphic card from any major vendor it will work out of the box. They won't sell you a graphic card you'll turn on and it will fire work your room. The only advice I could give you is saving some bucks and getting a better Video Card. That one you posted is a low-mid gaming card. IF you want to take advantage of that CPU which is quite good "My brother got one a few months ago" and it's a great CPU for it's price. But he has a better VGA than the one you post here. If you can't save money for a better one, then you can go with this spec and replace it in the future.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
You don't need so strong PSU,go for XFX 450 or Corsair CM430.That GPU is low end if even that,i have same CPU on Asus M5A97 R2.0 runing at 4,7 Ghz x6 but i have HD 6850,even HD 6850 is weak,go for cheaper RAM no need for 16 GBs,buy 8 GB of any RAM em go for 1600 Mhz RAM because there is no difference ,only in price.

GPU--> R260x,270x or Nvidia 750 Ti,something like that if possible.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
You don't need so strong PSU,go for XFX 450 or Corsair CM430.That GPU is low end if even that,i have same CPU on Asus M5A97 R2.0 runing at 4,7 Ghz x6 but i have HD 6850,even HD 6850 is weak,go for cheaper RAM no need for 16 GBs,buy 8 GB of any RAM em go for 1600 Mhz RAM because there is no difference ,only in price.

A friend of mine got a Saphire xdual series 270 and is a very decent VGA.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Going for the 270X will be a better when it comes to gaming. It supports Mantle and is just a better performer overall. The FX-6300 is a very logical choice when it comes to a gaming PC that won't burn a hole in your pocket.

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Jesus man, if you buy a graphic card from any major vendor it will work out of the box. They won't sell you a graphic card you'll turn on and it will fire work your room. The only advice I could give you is saving some bucks and getting a better Video Card. That one you posted is a low-mid gaming card. IF you want to take advantage of that CPU which is quite good "My brother got one a few months ago" and it's a great CPU for it's price. But he has a better VGA than the one you post here. If you can't save money for a better one, then you can go with this spec and replace it in the future.

That card is £65. Is there one that you would recommend?

Is there a problem with using that PSU? It's just My local shop is selling them on sale just now for £10 My thought was that i can upgrade the computer and not need to worry about the PSU. The person asked for 16GB RAM but I will only get 8GB normally taking 8 off it will save about £54. With the money saved on that i can easily get a more expensive graphics card. Which would be the best? For gaming.

Going for the 270X will be a better when it comes to gaming. It supports Mantle and is just a better performer overall. The FX-6300 is a very logical choice when it comes to a gaming PC that won't burn a hole in your pocket.

I fell in love with the FX-6300 as soon as i saw it :)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
You won't go wrong with an FX-6300. Handles gaming and multitasking very well for its price. I'm more of an Intel guy though, If you want to go with Intel, the i3-4150 is a very good choice. Don't let the dual core design fool you, it performs just as good or even better in certain areas than the FX-6300 and it's more efficient to boot.

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
That card is £65. Is there one that you would recommend?

Is there a problem with using that PSU? It's just My local shop is selling them on sale just now for £10 My thought was that i can upgrade the computer and not need to worry about the PSU. The person asked for 16GB RAM but I will only get 8GB normally taking 8 off it will save about £54. With the money saved on that i can easily get a more expensive graphics card. Which would be the best? For gaming.

I fell in love with the FX-6300 as soon as i saw it :)

That PSU i kinda weak,it doesn't even have Brone 80+ Cert,so it's not safe as Corsair,XFX,Seasonic...
I don't how much you can give for GPU go for R9 R280x,270x,260x,750 Ti,760.

i3 only performs better in old games that are optimized for two cores.

FX6300 can push R9 290 with small usage drops i mean small bottleneck.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'd certainly prefer efficiency over a small performance gain. Huge props to AMD though for stepping up their game.

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I'd certainly prefer efficiency over a small performance gain. Huge props to AMD though for stepping up their game.

What do you mean by small performace ?

He can get FX 6300 if overclock to 4,7 Ghz then it gives almost same performance as i5 3570 non oced.So it can give almost same performace for half price,there is no point to recommend i3 over FX6300.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If I may add some word. For ~400 £ you can get a lot more powerful PC.
Just some my picks for that price point

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/V2tLf7

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£65.87 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.91 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£97.63 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.48 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £421.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-10 13:48 GMT+0000

I just added a case but I saw you didn't add it to your part list, so I suppose that you already have the case.
One more add, you can choose between MSI or Gigabyte motherboards with 970A, and same for the graphic cards. Both are very good and it's much much stronger than Radeon 6570 But if you want to overclock I can suggest some 990FX's but you need an aftermarket cooler for the CPU.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
What do you mean by small performace ?

He can get FX 6300 if overclock to 4,7 Ghz then it gives almost same performance as i5 3570 non oced.So it can give almost same performace for half price,there is no point to recommend i3 over FX6300.

What I meant with the small performance gain is that the FX-6300 offers a bit more power than the i3-4150. Forget about overclocking if you don't have the proper cooling system to cool it down. Buying a more capable cooler would cost more than an i3-4150 so overclocking isn't a really good choice if you're on a budget. He can also upgrade to an unlocked i5 in the future if he want and an unlocked i5 outperforms the FX-6300 in most cases.

Last edited:

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
If I may add some word. For ~400 £ you can get a lot more powerful PC.
Just some my picks for that price point

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/V2tLf7

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£65.87 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.91 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£97.63 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.48 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £421.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-10 13:48 GMT+0000

I just added a case but I saw you didn't add it to your part list, so I suppose that you already have the case.
One more add, you can choose between MSI or Gigabyte motherboards with 970A, and same for the graphic cards. Both are very good and it's much much stronger than Radeon 6570 But if you want to overclock I can suggest some 990FX's but you need an aftermarket cooler for the CPU.

Such a great help. With the RAM i might stick to my original 1 X 8GB for £53 and with the case, the computer is not for me so i was waiting on my friend picking the case he wants some fancy LED case. The HDD was the same price, is there really and difference from the makes? The motherboard i had was £40. I might just tell him to take the 8GB which brings the price down to £342. If i get the Sapphire Radeon R7 268X that's an extra £10 so £352 in total. Is that Graphics card good? I'm not to knowledgeable with Graphics cards.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Such a great help. With the RAM i might stick to my original 1 X 8GB for £53 and with the case, the computer is not for me so i was waiting on my friend picking the case he wants some fancy LED case. The HDD was the same price, is there really and difference from the makes? The motherboard i had was £40. I might just tell him to take the 8GB which brings the price down to £342. If i get the Sapphire Radeon R7 268X that's an extra £10 so £352 in total. Is that Graphics card good? I'm not to knowledgeable with Graphics cards.
HDD - Seagate and WD are practically the same quality, but I read somewhere that WD has much less break ratio
r7 260x is the best card for that price point.
If you can get 30$ more, you can find r7 265 and play every game on middle to high settings on 1080p

Shaun

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
HDD - Seagate and WD are practically the same quality, but I read somewhere that WD has much less break ratio
r7 260x is the best card for that price point.
If you can get 30$ more, you can find r7 265 and play every game on middle to high settings on 1080p

what's the difference between the 268X and the 265? Also is there anything i should be looking for in a PSU? Certain wattage? or anything like that?

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
What I meant with the small performance gain is that the FX-6300 offers a bit more power than the i3-4150. Forget about overclocking if you don't have the proper cooling system to cool it down. Buying a more capable cooler would cost more than an i3-4150 so overclocking isn't a really good choice if you're on a budget. He can also upgrade to an unlocked i5 in the future if he want and an unlocked i5 outperforms the FX-6300 in most cases.

You can buy almost top cooler for 50 € today,no way that it will cost more than i5,if he buys FX 6300 he is good for 3-4 years.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
What I meant was that buying an FX-6300 with a powerful cooler would probably cost more than just buying an i3-4150.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.