Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
When his phone rang and he began to listen to the crook on the other end, Jakob Dulisse wasn't fooled for an instant by the "Microsoft tech support" scam.

The con artist claimed to be calling from California.

But when Dulisse stayed on the phone, calling the person a thief and a scammer, it turned a lot more vicious than most of those calls do, with the crook threatening that he had Dulisse's address and would send assassins to kill him.

The call grew homicidal after Dulisse accused the scammer of trying to install malware on his computer that would steal banking information, passwords, and PayPal credentials.

You can listen to excerpts of the call, which Dulisse recorded, at CBC News.

Beyond what's in that excerpt, Dulisse - of Nelson, British Columbia - told the news outlet that the caller threatened him about "Anglo people" getting treated like stew ingredients when in India:

He started getting kind of nasty and angry.

He admitted that he was in India ... and then he said, 'If you come to India, you know what we do to Anglo people?' I said, 'No.'

He said, 'We cut them up in little pieces and throw them in the river.

The scammer claimed to know Dulisse's full name and address, telling him he would send someone to his home to kill him.

Dulisse said the threats, albeit chilling, sounded more like a ploy to get him to cooperate, rather than something to take seriously:

He was still trying to get me to do what he was trying to do with my computer. He was actually threatening me as a tactic.

Fake tech support scams like this one net criminals lots of cash from victims who believe they're talking to legitimate tech support representatives.

The scams follow a fairly standard pattern: victims get a call out of the blue from a scammer posing as a technician, either from Microsoft, another company or an affiliated support firm.

The crooks then persuade their victim to check out alerts on their machine, usually via a standard, built-in tool such as the Event Viewer in Windows.

There, the target views alerts that are actually perfectly normal, trivial error messages, but which the lying huckster claims are serious signs of horrific malware infection.

The caller may also try to get their target to grant remote access to their machine, so the scammer can demonstrate the made-up "danger".

From there, the victims are pressured into allowing installation of software, usually free security tools but occasionally malware, and then have to pay for the tools and assistance - a pricey prospect that can bleed them of anywhere from £35 to £150 (roughly $60-$250).

Read more: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/03/10/busted-scammer-resorts-to-death-threats/

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I received 2 calls like these, I can tell that they are well trained to fool people, even that I knew he was a scammer I was surprise how pro thief they were.

Reactions: Jack

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I used to get 1 or 2 calls per week for a few months straight from these scammers last year. So far this year, they have stopped calling.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I'm so glad I never get any of these calls, I would honestly hang up the phone if I hear that type of accent. Most of these scammers seem to be from india, so that's pretty much why I have a hard time trusting people from that area.

Last edited:

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Why don't they report telephone number of fake customer support. It can be traced back to know who the caller is. Actions can be taken.

there should be some system to blacklist and block such phone numbers.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm so glad I never get any of these calls, I would honestly hang up the phone if I hear that type of accent. Most of these scammers seem to be from india, so that's pretty much why I have a hard time trusting people from that area.
Scammers are located worldwide, not specific countries. Scammers are also people, your neighbour could be one of them. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.