Solved Can I installed Linux in a desktop computer with Win8 pre-installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAPOPPING

Thread author
May 3, 2014
Can I installed Linux in a desktop computer with Win8 pre-installed?
Due to my work I need to use Linux instead of Windows. I used to be able to install Linux to a computer with Windows (Such as Vista or Win7) pre-installed. But recently I brought a new desktop and it does not allow me to do that any more.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Yes, you can. I actually dual-boot Windows 8 with Linux without any issues. I had a few bumps in the road getting Linux to work with the GPT partition tables but I eventually got it up and running! :) Make sure to turn off secure boot in your BIOS settings.

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You can but I don't recommend it because Windows 8 secure boot features has issues with Linux boot manager.
Linux boot manager corruptions and uninstallation is very difficult to solve.
You can use most Linux distributions as Live CD without installing them.

Thanks. :D
@Littlebits, that is very good to know.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Are you running a UEFI BIOS? ...Because that will pretty much determine your answer.
I found this on ubuntu documentation, community help wiki.
Read more: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

UEFI (~EFI) is a firmware interface that is widespread on recent computers, especially those more recent than 2010. It is intended to replace the traditional BIOS firmware interface that is prevalent on earlier machines. This page provides information about installing and booting Ubuntu using EFI, as well as about switching between EFI mode and legacy BIOS mode using Ubuntu.

Upvote 0

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
You can but I don't recommend it because Windows 8 secure boot features has issues with Linux boot manager.
Linux boot manager corruptions and uninstallation is very difficult to solve.
You can use most Linux distributions as Live CD without installing them.

Thanks. :D

I believe you're referring to the GRUB bootloader which indeed does have major issues with secure boot. There is a program that helps to solve UEFI and secure boot issues after installing Linux if Windows won't boot after selecting it in GRUB. I've tried it and it corrected my issues. :)

Upvote 0

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
I found this on ubuntu documentation, community help wiki.

As much as I support any move to a much needed method of secure BIOS handover to OS, and have recently adopted UEFI SecureBoot on Win8.1 myself, It's clear the whole implementation has been a mess the whole way through, almost reflective of the partially abandon TPM technology.

It's sad because like many others, I want to see these technologies to be as awesome as they should and could be ..but due to the underdeveloped and poorly executed implementation (of these two technologies in particular), due to many contributing factors such as market share power struggles, "higher powers" with their own agenda's, plain old communication breakdown and cooperation between hardware vendors and software developers, and uncertainty about how different OEMs will implement SecureBoot with different Linux distributions taking distinctly different approaches to supporting the technology. These technologies are nowhere at they standard they were intend to be at and not nearly as effective as they ought to be! Both have documented vulnerabilities and proof of concept exploits and it is everybody who uses and relies on modern technology who has to accept the sub-quality produce for what it currently is.

UEFI+SecureBoot (and TPM technology) have so much potential and I truly hope something much more effective and useable can come of them... but I digress, and unfortunately to use UEFI+SecureBoot with Win 8 and Linux it seems it may be complicated road to travel with so far limited testing, compatibility/stability and support.

All in all, I hope OP can derive the desired outcome ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.