Can We Just Bring This To An End.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
I have never met a group of people collectively, who have as much knowledge as I have here.

Which leads me to ask, can we just all focus and together, come to a conclusion concerning a very nice security setup, that would be lite and very secure.

Lets pick one of each below (these are just examples, but you catch my drift right)...

A security suite or firewall and anti-virus (free or paid).

One malware on demand scanners (free or paid)

One whitelist (free or paid)

and

One anti-exe (free or paid).

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Best config = best config for you, I don't think there is a config that will suit all users and specific issues and or features anyone could wish of have working as you want. I use ESETAV and Comodo Firewall + HIPS only and haven't had any issues with it for a long time. But this config won't work for everybody so there is no universal config sorry.

KokoKid

Level 4
Verified
Sep 27, 2015
Everyone grew up with their own config. Some random guy on the internet said "Hey I love this config it's awesome give it a try omg!111" And they ended up trying it and it stuck.

A common misconception; Everyone needs their own different firewall for their demanded needs. One person could use their pc once a week for Facebook, is that enough to pay $50 for an antivirus, firewall, etc? No. Others might watched movies from sketchy websites, download things, etc, and for that person it makes sense to have a great firewall.

Just don't be gullible and you should be safe from malware to be honest. I probably wasted about $75 for my config tbh, since I'm very intelligent as to what I download. Others....not so much.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Thanks for all the responses.

I wonder why though, in this very competative market one of the vendors doesn't just take the best of each of the seperate vendors ideas and put it in one package, like Super Duper Avast 2017, and thus take over the market.

You remember the salesman trick, take a 8 1/2 X 11 piece of paper, draw a line down the middle and one one side list why to buy, and on the other side why not to buy X,Y, or Z... Couldn't we do that with all the security vendors products and the one with the most / best / items on the page wins...

Maybe I'm being to simplistic.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well configuration can be compared in programming, where different implementation may work a same result?but that should depends by your preferred choice.

Other people have different views of setup so as long we encourage them to use one of the suggestions then its a guarantee to be protected from the long run.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for all the responses.

I wonder why though, in this very competative market one of the vendors doesn't just take the best of each of the seperate vendors ideas and put it in one package, like Super Duper Avast 2017, and thus take over the market.

You remember the salesman trick, take a 8 1/2 X 11 piece of paper, draw a line down the middle and one one side list why to buy, and on the other side why not to buy X,Y, or Z... Couldn't we do that with all the security vendors products and the one with the most / best / items on the page wins...

Maybe I'm being to simplistic.
This is a wonderful & idealistic thought, and as such would fit well in a more perfect world.o_O A simpler world.;)
Try to look at different computer systems in a similar way to the cars we choose.
  1. Even if we chose the same year, make, and model, the blank canvas would turn out quite differently.
  2. Besides the superficial color & shape, different drivers place different demands upon their vehicles.
  3. The maintenance, level of insurance, and aftermarket accessories added (or removed/replaced) further create a more customized mode of transportation.
As with each individual post, like the image of the 8 1/2 x 11 paper with the line down the middle listing pros & cons, as long as each of us is granted freedom to choose (to answer the question contained in the title) this can't come to a final ending yet...:cool:

Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.